Menu

Need suggestions for inexpensive/homemead gifts for men

I'm not having any trouble finding lovely homemade gift ideas for children and women - the internet is saturated with them (thankfully), but there are very few ideas for homemade gifts for men. I have several nephews and a cousin I buy gifts for for every year and I'm at a loss as to what to give.

I've considered food and that may end up being my final decision. But I thought I'd go ahead and ask you ladies if you have any suggestions before I resort to that.

I think it's very interesting that there are tons of crafty items one can make for women (soaps, lotions, hair accessories, stationery items, home decor, etc.) but very few crafty items intended for men. I could probably get a government grant to research this phenomenon.:D

I did find one tutorial on how to make a bow tie from a regular tie, but I'm thinking that's a lot of work for something that most likely will end up in the back of a drawer, if kept at all.

So, anyone want to help me out here?

My almost impossible to buy for fil and dad love receiving a personalized calendar with pics of the kids. I put a lot of effort into the photos and design-does that count as homemade? :tongue_smilie: We get them from Artscow for around $9 each. I always do a quick internet search for codes to save on shipping, etc.

I've made Christmas neckties, they aren't that hard. Also, flannel sleep pants. I made some popeye themed ones for dh one year. Scarves and hats that are knit, crocheted, or fleece, may get used. Two yards of fleece makes a cozy throw blanket. There are "manly" prints out there. There are always duct tape wallets :-) Food is always appreciated.

Edited by Onceuponatime

Pajama/lounge pants

pillows (I have great GI Joe and Spiderman material for the dorks in my life) or blankets

I made my dad a drawstring bag for his golf ball in his golf bag for his birthday.

We like the ceramic pictures ornaments at winkflash.

Collages of pictures are always a hit (more with the older guys than the younger ones).

Photo mugs?

i think there are more things for women, because more often than not we are the ones making the whatever, that we come up woth things we would like.:D

Pajama/lounge pants

pillows (I have great GI Joe and Spiderman material for the dorks in my life) or blankets

I made my dad a drawstring bag for his golf ball in his golf bag for his birthday.

We like the ceramic pictures ornaments at winkflash.

Collages of pictures are always a hit (more with the older guys than the younger ones).

Photo mugs?

i think there are more things for women, because more often than not we are the ones making the whatever, that we come up woth things we would like.:D

Excellent theory - you are probably right.

Thanks for the ideas, ladies. Keep 'em coming.:)

My kids made my DH a wallet made out of duct tape. Found it here. There are so many fun duct tape options to customize to their tastes too from plain colors to camo to black with red and yellow flames (that is what we used for DH's).

Photo gifts are a good idea too. We are currently trying to decide on what to do for the grandfathers and uncles here too. A mousepad for the ones that have a desk job is one idea that we had. Or a commuter mug with a photo on it. Calendars are great, but someone else in our family already does that. We look forward to getting the calendar every year.

Good luck!

http://www.tipjunkie.com/home-made-christmas-gift-ideas/

There are some great ideas in here. It starts out with sewing, but keep going, there are other ideas as well.

Lots of scope for the imagination here. Thanks!

Are they outdoorsy? Do they camp? For that type you could make firestarters, eco-friendly soap, meals in a bag, would anything along those lines be good?

Hmm..not so outdoorsy. One owns his own landscape design business, several are computer types - not so much computers but they have office jobs and besides hanging out with family, I don't really know how they spend their free time (not camping though), one is the head sound engineer for the National Cathedral, one is an artist (as in portrait artist and he's very, very good at it, too.) One plays golf, but he already has all the little golf accessories I could make by hand. Two of them are new dads - both have one-year old sons. They also have all the little gadget and gadget covers too. These folks don't really need anything, but I'd love to give a thoughtful gift anyway.

I'm now seeing that something consumable would probably be best. Goat milk soap and some peppermint hot cocoa in a mason jar (not together, lol), perhaps.

The one gift I have experience with is homemade heating pads. Mine are filled with millet (many people use rice) and you heat them in the microwave for two minutes. We all take one to bed with us every night in the winter. A fellow from church bought one at a craft event because he needed moist heat for his neck problems. It was perfect for that.

I start with a 20"x10" piece of sturdy fabric like canvas. Fold lengthwise and sew a short and long side. Fill with a few cups of millet, but don't stuff it too full. The year I made a lot of these I bought a huge bag of millet pretty cheap at a bird feeding store. Sew up the short side. I also make a little flannel pillowcase that is washable.

For soap, it would be fun to play around with scrubbing type additions to get really dirty hands clean after gardening. Oatmeal? I don't make soap so I don't really know, but I have seen soaps marketed toward gardeners. My dh does a lot of yard work and I'm sure others do too.

Thanks, everyone! These are all great ideas. :)

I decided to make one of these desk calendars for each of them and then add something small besides - cookies and homemade hot cocoa mix perhaps.

http://go.tipjunkie.com/hm/456/anounceofcreativity.blogspot.com/2011/01/tutorial-2011-star-desktop-calendar.html