Menu

curious..what do those NML finalist use..

Those of you that had NML finalists, what did you use for grammar? I guess that would help the writing section. ( Looking to next kid.)

What did you use for vocabulary? That is all my son missed on the reading section. (Although he has come a long way in the last couple of years.)

Just curious.

We used Analytical Grammar in middle school, but nothing formal in high school. We've never used a vocabulary program, but he did go through the "Direct Hits" books by Krieger the summer before the PSAT. He's always been a voracious reader, and I think that's what helped the most for the Reading and Writing sections of the PSAT and SAT.

We didn't do any grammar in high school but used Voyages in English in grammar years. Now, vocab was Sadlier-Oxford since third grade and all four years of high school, daily. Some dislike the program but ds did well with it.

I will say that I think tons of reading and writing lots of papers cements the basics. Those SAT questions of the day are a big help and painless!

We used Analytical Grammar in middle school, but nothing formal in high school. We've never used a vocabulary program, but he did go through the "Direct Hits" books by Krieger the summer before the PSAT. He's always been a voracious reader, and I think that's what helped the most for the Reading and Writing sections of the PSAT and SAT.

We did Analytical Grammar and he also loves to read. His reading scores are always fine. He has gotten better. I still remember how his reading comprehension was 99 percentile in elementary tests and his vocab was in 40th or so?????? Ok, how can you comprehend if you don't know what the words mean???

He also did Latin in elementary/junior high. We did Vocabulit as well.

My three oldest were finalists and my 11th grade ds just got 229, so it's a pretty sure bet he is too.

I never did ANY grammar with my kids, but I had them write every day -- every single day, from the time they were in kindergarten. We also did French, German, and Latin starting in preschool.