Menu

Sick Day Decluttering Challenge: Anyone want to join in?

Both girls are sick today, so no school and no errands. I'm going to be absolutely brutal--unread magazines, food I've been keeping around just in case, videotapes that I swore I'd never part with, etc.

Anyone have some free time and want to join in? Should we set a goal or just aim high? :lol:

I started decluttering and organizing things last summer. it is so much easier to find what I want. I did some big turntables in my pantry and corner cupboards, storage containers, etc., and they have been wonderful.

Lots of thrift store runs too.

I started decluttering and organizing things last summer. it is so much easier to find what I want. I did some big turntables in my pantry and corner cupboards, storage containers, etc., and they have been wonderful.

I have half-full boxes piling up all over the house! Time to fill them :D I can even drop those off today or tomorrow, since I don't need to get the sick kids out of the car for that, woohoo!

DH took today off. His dad come in tomorrow for a visit. Our goal is to finish cleaning the boys' room and the kitchen and living room. Then tomorrow I will give both bathrooms a good scrub down. Hoping FIL doesn't pass too much judgement on the state of the house. I hate cleaning for visitors. I actually hate having visitors period. Too much stress on me. Luckily DH will be taking vacation days for the visit so I don't have to entertain FIL. I'm not sure what I would do if it came to that.

OK I'll play..... which means I'm off here :)

I do have a lot of school to go over with dd18, but in between I'll tackle the paper stacks, if I get unread newpapers gone through, that will be a great improvement. And laundry is going as well!

Off I go.....

Go go go!

I've had a setback already *sigh* I just discovered that all 26 garlic cloves I planted two days ago are in upside down :banghead: I knew I should have rechecked MomsintheGarden's post to me, but I thought I had it memorized. I'll have to do that today. But after that? Magazines be gone! :lol:

We'll join in! We are slowing to a crawl in readiness for holiday break and just yesterday we found out dh was laid off:001_unsure:. So on top of one sick kid and one recovering kid, I simply cannot focus on school. We are calling it a sick day and I am cleaning. I will feel better somehow with an clean and organized house to face the challenges in.

We were gone over the weekend for a 3-day swim meet and came back to a cluttered house (library books scattered every where, science experiments left over from last week, school books left downstairs because we raced through school before we left, swim gear and luggage, etc. waiting to be put away). We took an early lunch today and cleaned for 20 minutes before we started lunch.

Thankfully the 3 of us worked fast and have a tidy house now. I am a happy Momma again and better yet, my oldest is happy too since she gets cranky when the house gets cluttered.

We'll join in! We are slowing to a crawl in readiness for holiday break and just yesterday we found out dh was laid off:001_unsure:. So on top of one sick kid and one recovering kid, I simply cannot focus on school. We are calling it a sick day and I am cleaning. I will feel better somehow with an clean and organized house to face the challenges in.

Oh no, Amy, I'm really sorry :grouphug: What cruddy timing! We'll clean and maintain some sense of control together :tongue_smilie: :grouphug:

Oh no, Amy, I'm really sorry :grouphug: What cruddy timing! We'll clean and maintain some sense of control together :tongue_smilie: :grouphug:

Us too Amy, :grouphug::grouphug:, but we chose to not talk about it and dh will just have a long break :001_smile:

I encourage you to not talk it to death, we have been there, this time is so much easier to handle.

Off to check anatomy, and hopefully the newspaper stack will disappear! Shower curtain is soaking in bleach, towels in the dryer!

Oh- I am sorry! Try to just look at it as extra time for family at Christmas and enjoy being togther. Will pray that Dh can find employment quickly.

I have deep corner cabinets I wish I had turntables in.

We were gone over the weekend for a 3-day swim meet and came back to a cluttered house (library books scattered every where, science experiments left over from last week, school books left downstairs because we raced through school before we left, swim gear and luggage, etc. waiting to be put away).

This is how our house usually looks when we get back. I've started getting anal about cleaning the house before we leave on vacations, and if possible, I try to arrange for a way to do our laundry while we're away. Both the beach house and condo we spend most of our summer vacations at have washers and dryers, and it is HEAVENLY to come home from vacation and not have to do a mountain of laundry! Sounds like you guys did some good teamwork today :D

Us too Amy, :grouphug::grouphug:, but we chose to not talk about it and dh will just have a long break :001_smile:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about you guys too :( :grouphug: I remember those days, and I fear them still. So stressful. You have a very healthy outlook.

Joined in! I already have a box full of books sitting in a box in upstairs hallway.

Way to go! I have a few boxes in my bedroom that I forgot about--I'll repack those into one and move those along too!

Well, I did do things today, just not decluttering..... Three loads of laundry, corrected dd's anatomy, cream sitting on the counter that will hopefully turn into cultured butter at some point. We did a blood typing experiment, and dd came out a different type than what I was told she was..... off to high school board to see about that.

We are quite burned out, and it isn't helping finishing off this semester..... I was hoping for ending school this Friday for Christmas break, I told dh he would have to pick me off of the floor if we got finished with everything!

Well, I did do things today, just not decluttering..... Three loads of laundry, corrected dd's anatomy, cream sitting on the counter that will hopefully turn into cultured butter at some point. We did a blood typing experiment, and dd came out a different type than what I was told she was..... off to high school board to see about that.

We are quite burned out, and it isn't helping finishing off this semester..... I was hoping for ending school this Friday for Christmas break, I told dh he would have to pick me off of the floor if we got finished with everything!

I got sidetracked too (mainly by dinner, because I had to get creative to avoid ordering in!), but I'm still satisfied with what I've done. I cleared several hotspots that were just getting worse and worse and I forced myself to part with a bunch of things I knew I shouldn't be hanging onto. After the kids go to bed, I'm going to move over into the dining room.

If the kids are still sick tomorrow, I may do it again :D

I'm glad I saw your post. My MIL called today to announce that she & FIL are coming to stay for a night next week. My guest room has been a dumping ground for homeschool group materials, Christmas presents, and anything else that didn't have a proper home. So I got a bunch of stuff organized in the closet, threw away a bunch of garbage, and found a bonus - enough leftover Christmas cards that I might not need to buy new ones next year!