Menu

Gingerbread house question

I made a gingerbread house yesterday for the children to decorate this morning. How long can we display it and still eat it at the end? I hadn't really thought it though and a friend said gee, your early, we don't do ours until the week before Christmas so we can eat it on Christmas Day. I realise keeping it until Christmas Day might be unrealistic, but how long do you think it will be ok for?

The gingerbread was made from scratch and the house is held together with royal icing.

Guest submarines
I made a gingerbread house yesterday for the children to decorate this morning. How long can we display it and still eat it at the end? I hadn't really thought it though and a friend said gee, your early, we don't do ours until the week before Christmas so we can eat it on Christmas Day. I realise keeping it until Christmas Day might be unrealistic, but how long do you think it will be ok for?

The gingerbread was made from scratch and the house is held together with royal icing.

One was given to us last year (bought in a German bakery). We nibbled at it for about a week.

Weeks. The gingerbread has to be baked until crisp for the house to stand, so it's not going to be soft anyway. The royal icing will last for months, and the candy was probably made in July.

We love ours dipped in hot tea or hot chocolate- it softens the gingerbread and tastes yummy. We've eaten ours well into January.

This is so funny to me--we never eat ours! :001_smile: It's just for show, and we use homemade royal icing with raw egg, not the powdered stuff (which is safe to eat).

Glad to see someone actually nibbles theirs!

Maybe we should start a post-a-picture thread for gingerbread houses.:D

This is so funny to me--we never eat ours! :001_smile: It's just for show, and we use homemade royal icing with raw egg, not the powdered stuff (which is safe to eat).

Glad to see someone actually nibbles theirs!

Maybe we should start a post-a-picture thread for gingerbread houses.:D

We never eat ours either. We make it early and display it for weeks. By then it's dusty and we're surrounded by treats that actually taste good.

I just picked up the chalet thing from Trader Joe's. I've never managed to get one before they sold out.

7384fd68.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

We blow up ours by New Years with fireworks. Use Royal icing with raw egg and the walls of the house are dried out. Never thought it would be edible. :tongue_smilie:

Bummer- we're spending New Year's at the inlaws this year. Boy, would I like to blow this thing up. They'd truly think I was crazy if I dragged it 900 miles so I could blow it up.

Maybe when we get back if there's anything left. The cat eats the royal icing when we're not home.

Guest submarines
Weeks. The gingerbread has to be baked until crisp for the house to stand, so it's not going to be soft anyway. The royal icing will last for months, and the candy was probably made in July.

We love ours dipped in hot tea or hot chocolate- it softens the gingerbread and tastes yummy. We've eaten ours well into January.

The one from the German bakery wasn't crisp at all. It was actually quite soft and thick--more like bread (and yummy), than a dry cookie. So depends what recipe you use.

Edited by sunflowers

We blow up ours by New Years with fireworks. Use Royal icing with raw egg and the walls of the house are dried out. Never thought it would be edible. :tongue_smilie:

That's an awesome idea! I'll have to remember that; it's much better than slipping it into the dumpster when the kids aren't looking :D!