Menu

Started a new antibiotic yesterday afternoon, and the soles of my feet are itching

like crazy! Could this be an allergic reaction?

I've had a uti and didn't have the itching until last night. (Took the first capsule in the afternoon.) Finally the itching went away and I went to sleep.

I didn't have 12 hours between doses before going to bed, so I waited to take the next dose this morning.

The itching is back.

It's awful. It feels like it's under the skin. I'm rubbing (scraping!) my feet on the carpet to get some relief.

Has anyone ever had a reaction like this? Do you know another possible cause? (It couldn't be the uti, could it?)

What can I do to soothe the itching?

Allergic reactions usuallly start on the torso, but everyone is different. You may have a bit of athletes foot. Try an anti-fungal on the toesies. You can also take some Benadryl for the rash. It can help if it is an allergic reaction, but also if it isn't, it will still help.

Yes, that sounds like an allergic reaction. I would call your doctor and check in.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I'd call ASAP. Itchy swelly stuff can come along with respiratory problems. You don't want to push it. I'd call before taking another dose.

Also, if it is not contraindicated, I'd take a full dose of Benadryl NOW. And, be sure to keep around other adults so if you go into respiratory distress, they can call 911/etc. Really, don't mess with this. People die. All the time.