Menu

OPGTR resistance...

mommymonster

We have been using OPGTR for a while now, and DS(6) is on Lesson 90 (or so). Unfortunately, he is increasingly resistant to do lessons at all, and we've lately had tears, tantrums and generally the wailing and gnashing of teeth if he even sees the book out. Any thoughts on things I can supplement with or how to shake things up?

I like OPGTR and would prefer to continue using it. We have slowed down quite a bit because I’m tired of the fighting/tears. He’s doing great reading aloud, though – a little self-conscious on words he doesn’t know – so I don’t think it’s an understanding/comprehension thing.

Sorry you are having trouble!

We did 100EZ and I ran into this. First I broke down the lessons, that helped. In retrospect, they were taking way too long for the age/attention span. Eventually that didn't work either. With my ds we just kept moving through - he didn't have as much trouble and once we got going the lessons would go quickly. With my dd we first took a big leap backwards in the lessons and repeated a chunk. That helped for a while. Eventually, though, the momentum wore off and (in retrospect I realize) the lessons started taking too long again. We stopped altogether and just worked on leveled readers from the library. Then a friend handed down her "I see Sam" books (some of which are available free online). We started at the beginning and that was essentially a big step back again, but it built her confidence. We didn't finish that series either, but we got up to what they called second or third grade reading level. Then I switched to read alouds from the library for her.

If you can handle the nonlinearity, I would take a break altogether, ease into random readers from the library, and maybe look at other reading programs (like some of the older free ones on the web). You may be able to return to OPGTR, or not, depends on the two of you.

Good luck!

I feel your pain. Just wondering if tile letters and a magnet board would help. Or maybe even just a writing the lessons on a white board. Or if all else fails there's always....Chocolate chips. Just kidding.... unless it works

If he's really young you could just hold off and come back to it in a month or so.

Edited by MyLittleBears

Move it to the white board for lessons. For whatever reason, that book just doesn't lend itself to tabletop or on the couch work. The print seems very small for me, and both of my sons complained about how "tiny" it was.

I taught the phonograms from OPGTR via cardstock, and did the words on the board for the boys to read and work through when they were that age.

I'm up in the air for what to do with the sentences. White board or type them for reading in a larger font might help. (I hand wrote them on paper because at the time I didn't have a printer.)

Move it to the white board for lessons.

It might help to just put it away until after Christmas. He might just need a break.

:iagree: to both of these.

When I used OPGTR with my middle son (age 4 at the time), I didn't use the book with him. I just wrote everything on the white board. WAAAAAAY more fun! He also practiced copying what I wrote, though I didn't ask him to do that. It was just a cool side effect. :D

But yeah, a break may also be in order. His brain may just need a few weeks to chew on what he's learned the last few months, and then he might be ready to learn more. That's pretty common in various subjects.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. I will shelve reading lessons for a few weeks and see if we can restart in a few weeks. He has been on fire with math lately, so we'll focus on that instead (MyLittleBears: It is mini-chocolate chip addition!).

We will also shake up the presentation a bit. I currently use colored wooden letters (out of a Melissa & Doug product), but will switch to a wipe board -- so much fun, and he could really use the handwriting practice!

Thanks, everyone. It is great to get the insight of others who have btdt!