Menu

buttercream frosting

You might try looking up Swiss buttercream or Swiss Meringue Buttercream . It involves heating up the sugar to a specific temp and beating it into the eggs etc at high speed. The high speed is key because it keeps the butter from melting and the eggs from cooking. So, don't bother if you don't have a stand mixer. It does make the eggs hot enough that it can be used safely. I was taught this method at a french pastry shop where I took a class. I think there is another method where you heat the egg whites over a double boiler along with the sugar and then beat in the butter? I only know the method involving hot sugar. There is also a method in the book "The Cake Bible" where you heat corn syrup and beat that in. I think corn syrup boils at a lower temp than white sugar but is still hot enough to make it safe.

You can also see if your store carried irradiated eggs. They can be used safely when raw.

If that fails, there is always 7 min frosting. But it is NOT buttercream.

I wish I could be more specific. I haven't done this in a few years. If I had to make a buttercream right now, I would use the corn syrup version. I remember it as being pretty easy.

This is from Allrecipies.com. It's the only buttercream frosting recipe I use, and it's delicious. I just always substitute butter for the shortening; I don't like shortening, either. I tint it with food coloring to decorate sugar cookies; oh man are they good!

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.

You might try looking up Swiss buttercream or Swiss Meringue Buttercream . It involves heating up the sugar to a specific temp and beating it into the eggs etc at high speed. The high speed is key because it keeps the butter from melting and the eggs from cooking. So, don't bother if you don't have a stand mixer. It does make the eggs hot enough that it can be used safely. I was taught this method at a french pastry shop where I took a class. I think there is another method where you heat the egg whites over a double boiler along with the sugar and then beat in the butter? I only know the method involving hot sugar. There is also a method in the book "The Cake Bible" where you heat corn syrup and beat that in. I think corn syrup boils at a lower temp than white sugar but is still hot enough to make it safe.

You can also see if your store carried irradiated eggs. They can be used safely when raw.

If that fails, there is always 7 min frosting. But it is NOT buttercream.

I wish I could be more specific. I haven't done this in a few years. If I had to make a buttercream right now, I would use the corn syrup version. I remember it as being pretty easy.

:iagree: I'd do a meringue butter cream. I don't care for the confectioners sugar kind. The sugar syrup is hot enough to "cook" the eggwhites, and you don't add the butter until the bottom of the bowl is cool.

1 Butter : 2 Cream Cheese

Powdered sugar to taste (cups and cups)

a tsp of vanilla extract optional (or other flavoring--I've also used pureed strawberries, etc. to give a particular flavor)

Yummiest frosting ever. I hardly use anything else anymore, and in the last five years or so since I have gone to this, I have yet to taste anything better.

It is difficult to pipe this frosting, but I'd rather it taste yummy and look a little homemade. :)

This is from Allrecipies.com. It's the only buttercream frosting recipe I use, and it's delicious. I just always substitute butter for the shortening; I don't like shortening, either. I tint it with food coloring to decorate sugar cookies; oh man are they good!

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and vanilla. Blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk, and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered until ready to decorate.

I use this one as well and use butter. I substitute butter for anything that calls for shortening :) OR you could use coconut oil if you want a coconutty flavor :) However try not to get the frosting toooo wark if using coconut oil, it has a low melting point. But works!

This is true buttercream--not boiled icing and not the stuff with powdered sugar. It is from Cook's Illustrated.

Vanilla Buttercream

4 large eggs

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

pinch salt

one pound of unsalted butter, softened

Combine the sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer and place over simmering water. Whisk gently and constantly until a thermometer reaches 160. Remove bowl and beat on medium high speed with whisk attachment until light, airy, and cooled to room temperature, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add butter, one quarter stick at a time. Once all the butter is added, increase speed to high and beat one minute longer until light, fluffy, and thoroughly combined. May be stored in the fridge up to 5 days.