Menu

If you wanted to make a cover for a friend's new stand mixer...

How would you choose what color or pattern of fabric to make it from?

A homeschool mom friend just got a KitchenAid stand mixer, which she's wanted for a long time. Her birthday's next month, so I wanted to make her a cover for it (she mentioned on fb about eventually getting a cover).

I've found a pattern/directions on-line. But I can't decide what material to choose. The mixer is buttercup, which is a bright orangey-yellow color. Cute color. I've only been to her house once (we live on opposite sides/suburbs of our metro area, so we usually meet at other places inbetween), and I don't recall her kitchen being a specific color or theme.

I've thought about messaging her teen daughter, who I'm also friends with on fb, but I don't know if my friend monitors her daughter's account, and I'd hate to ruin the surprise. I think I'll message/email some mutual friends to see if they have any ideas.

But, assuming I can't come up with any more info, what should I do? Just go pick out a fabric/color that I think is cute? Just go with a basic tan or white, which would be less 'cute', but would for sure not clash with her kitchen?

Edited by bethanyniez

If she picked the color, and I wanted it to be a surprise, I would go with a solid fabric (or small print to hide any small bits of food), the same color.

Otherwise, I would ask her to help decide the fabric. I know it takes away from the final surprise, but honestly I would like to help pick the fabric on something like that. When you tell her your plan to make it, that can be the surprise....kind of like finding out what sex a baby is ahead of time. :D

Here's the blog post I found with a picture and a link to the directions and pattern.

I think finding a cute pattern with the color of the mixer in it is a good idea. Now I'm thinking I could make some potholders out of the same fabric to coordinate it a bit more. Any other ideas of smallish/simple things I could make out of the same fabric for her kitchen?

Thank you:001_smile:.

Here's the blog post I found with a picture and a link to the directions and pattern.

I think finding a cute pattern with the color of the mixer in it is a good idea. Now I'm thinking I could make some potholders out of the same fabric to coordinate it a bit more. Any other ideas of smallish/simple things I could make out of the same fabric for her kitchen?

Slight hijack: if you found a pattern for the KA mixer, did it have covers for other mixers? I have ordered a Bosch universal and want to leave it on the counter.

thanks!

Sorry Kalanamak, all the tutorials I found show patterns for KitchenAids. Most of them said they'd fit any of the KA mixers. You could always look at the patterns and directions for the KA covers, and just tweak them based on the size of your Bosch maybe? It'd be worth a shot. I don't know how accomplished a seamstress you are; I'm just at the point where I might attempt something like that (tweaking a pattern to fit something else).

I even did a quick google search for 'How to make a cover for a Bosch universal mixer', and couldn't find anything. :(

ETA: Ha! Please excuse my ignorance; I just actually looked at a Bosch mixer, and they're NOTHING like a KA. I really don't think you could tweak the KA pattern to fit it. But, you could take a look at how they made the KA one, and use the same concept to make one for the Bosch. Or, I happened to run across toaster cover patterns/directions in my seach as well; maybe those would be easier to use/tweak.

Edited by bethanyniez

Sorry Kalanamak, all the tutorials I found show patterns for KitchenAids. Most of them said they'd fit any of the KA mixers. You could always look at the patterns and directions for the KA covers, and just tweak them based on the size of your Bosch maybe? It'd be worth a shot. I don't know how accomplished a seamstress you are; I'm just at the point where I might attempt something like that (tweaking a pattern to fit something else).

I even did a quick google search for 'How to make a cover for a Bosch universal mixer', and couldn't find anything. :(

ETA: Ha! Please excuse my ignorance; I just actually looked at a Bosch mixer, and they're NOTHING like a KA. I really don't think you could tweak the KA pattern to fit it. But, you could take a look at how they made the KA one, and use the same concept to make one for the Bosch. Or, I happened to run across toaster cover patterns/directions in my seach as well; maybe those would be easier to use/tweak.

I can't even find any pre-made covers for Bosch, hence my desperation to hand-sew a cover.

What do people cover their Bosches with?

I have a store bought KA cover, and it is "quilted" and not very cotteny, so I can wash it without wrinkles, etc. I like the "pocket" that comes in it. I keep my bowl scraper in it, although a book could go, too.

But, assuming I can't come up with any more info, what should I do? Just go pick out a fabric/color that I think is cute? Just go with a basic tan or white, which would be less 'cute', but would for sure not clash with her kitchen?

I'd make a reversible cover, with a bright, cute print on one side and something neutral on the other. Cover your bases. ;)

I can't even find any pre-made covers for Bosch, hence my desperation to hand-sew a cover.

What do people cover their Bosches with?

I have a store bought KA cover, and it is "quilted" and not very cotteny, so I can wash it without wrinkles, etc. I like the "pocket" that comes in it. I keep my bowl scraper in it, although a book could go, too.

Hmm, a bowl scraper. I don't have one, but that'd make a nice addition to the gift.

You could embellish a couple of kitchen towels with the same fabric- cover, potholders, kitchen towels!

Ah, great idea! That would be easy. Just get some plain kitchen towels, and stitch a strip of the fabric on the bottom...

Hmm, a bowl scraper. I don't have one, but that'd make a nice addition to the gift.

For the KA, this shape does the best, like an artist's palette:

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-Bowl-Scraper-Curved/dp/B0000VLPN0/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321738135&sr=1-14

And one of these as a dough cutter (and handily a garlic clove smasher):

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-LGK-3620-Stainless-Steel-Cutter/dp/B000T3KZXU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

Several years ago I had a friend who found some fabric on sale and then asked me if I wanted her to make me a mixer cover and can opener cover with them. I thought it was nice of her to want to do that, but frankly I hated the color. I'm so glad you are thinking this through. A patterned and quilted fabric I think would work best. And I agree, if she liked that color for her mixer, it must go with her kitchen. Match the mixer color in some way.