Menu

Great news about my "odd" 3.5 year old...

Thanks for all who replied to my previous post.

Basically, I have been homeschooling him, mainly reading books of his choosing which are often fairly sophisticated (for his age). When turned lose in the playground, he triess to engage them in some fantasy mish-mash of the books he's read, etc., and the other kids look at him like he's from Mars and ignore him, which frustrates him.

Your consensus was it was not about socialization but about having a common point of reference (we are a no-TV home) and the further general consensus was to encourage playdates.

Well, have some happy news to report!

I was approached by a mother of b/g twins. She asked me to set up a weekly playdate with the twins:

"Your son is so imaginative, I think it would be great for my shy twins to engage in more imaginative play."

Her twins like very structured activities so we agreed to try some different open-ended activities, like setting up a table with playdoh but letting the kids decide what to do (make pladoh people play restaurant).

Another mother of a 5 yo whose family only speak Polish at home also approached me with the same suggestion, saying that the my son's language skills would be a great match for a regular playdate for her son whose English is somewhat limited.

I almost cried I was so happy (I'm tearing up now).

I've been so anxious that all my homeschooling and reading big-kid books to this little 3.5 year old (at his behest!) was producing a social misfit. I'll report back how things go with these new friends.

Thanks again for all your excellent input!

This post made me :D!

My DS has always been an animal lover. He's never been into transformers or bakugan or whatever most boys are playing with. It was hard to see him rejected on the playground because he didn't have that common point of reference. I cried the first time he showed interest in a transformer toy because I knew it was only an attempt to fit in.

I cannot tell you the joy it brings me now (at age 10) to see him play Vet or Animal Rescuer or Poacher Police with his good friends.

It is so neat that the other parents sought YOU because your boy has characteristics they want for their children. He sounds like a neat kid!

"Your son is so imaginative, I think it would be great for my shy twins to engage in more imaginative play."

Her twins like very structured activities so we agreed to try some different open-ended activities, like setting up a table with playdoh but letting the kids decide what to do (make pladoh people play restaurant).

Another mother of a 5 yo whose family only speak Polish at home also approached me with the same suggestion, saying that the my son's language skills would be a great match for a regular playdate for her son whose English is somewhat limited.

I almost cried I was so happy (I'm tearing up now).

I've been so anxious that all my homeschooling and reading big-kid books to this little 3.5 year old (at his behest!) was producing a social misfit. I'll report back how things go with these new friends.

Thanks again for all your excellent input!

to the bolded above, then I read your first post, my first thoughts were, "That's a kid with a good imagination!?" Kid sin school grow up to quick these days. There are so many things available to kids (electronics) that imaginative play is happening less and less. I'd encourage that type of play as long as I possibly could.

Lighten up about the schooling and have fun. He's only in preschool!:001_smile:

Great update! Although I have to say I didn't think there was anything odd about him when I read your first thread. I think it is stranger when 3-5yo's don't engage in imaginative play, and I usually blame it on television. Also, little boys who spend their days with Mom at home are often quite verbal, interesting, and engaging, probably because of the daily interaction with an interested and loving adult. (And, of course, because of all the good books!)

I hope your son will have wonderful times with these new friends!

Thanks for the update. That is great news.

My kids play this way too. My oldest had a very hard time fitting in w/other kids because his interests were so different from everyone else. It's still that way for him. Now my littlest is following in his footsteps so I know finding friends will be a challenge for her too. And my kids do watch some limited TV!

I hope your son has a blast w/his new friends. Keep us posted.

Denise

Good to hear!

My 3.5 year old is the same way. Her imaginative play is quite a bit more involved than most kids her age, and on the rare occasion she gets over her shyness and tries to involve another child, they're usually like :confused:.

I thought we'd made friends with another family with a preschooler a few months back, but it turned out they were just trying to get us involved in some kind of pyramid scam. *sigh* I wish I was kidding.