Menu

Shaving a dachshund? Really?

Actually, we have a *wire-haired* dachshund and we do shave her every few months. If we don't she becomes a *very* shaggy girl! I often let her get shaggy in winter months to keep her warmer. She has facial furnishings similar to a schnauzer (eyebrows and a beard).

If she were a showdog, to groom her for showing we would have to strip her coat with a special bladed comb. Since she is just a pet, we do a quick shave instead. It grows out softer and lighter colored when shaved, coarser and darker when stripped properly.

She always needs her head and legs shaved, even if the rest of her is stripped. Otherwise she is very fluffy!

ETA: wire-haired is different than long haired dachshies, btw. Long haired have pretty, flowing soft hair. Wire-hairs are totally different, with shorter coarser hair.

Our former neighbors shaved their lab...It was just pitiful.

I just called for a grooming appt. for my dachshund and beagle and the guy asked me if I was having my dachshund shaved. Now granted, there are long-hair varieties, but a shaved dachshund? He's be a nekkid hot dog! He's short-haired anyway, but shaved? That made me laugh!

Actually, we have a *wire-haired* dachshund and we do shave her every few months. If we don't she becomes a *very* shaggy girl! I often let her get shaggy in winter months to keep her warmer. She has facial furnishings similar to a schnauzer (eyebrows and a beard).

If she were a showdog, to groom her for showing we would have to strip her coat with a special bladed comb. Since she is just a pet, we do a quick shave instead. It grows out softer and lighter colored when shaved, coarser and darker when stripped properly.

She always needs her head and legs shaved, even if the rest of her is stripped. Otherwise she is very fluffy!

ETA: wire-haired is different than long haired dachshies, btw. Long haired have pretty, flowing soft hair. Wire-hairs are totally different, with shorter coarser hair.

I'm not a dachshund person, but I do find the wire coats adorable.