Menu

Dh is deploying - its just me and too light eaters....I need dinner ideas...

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but we cut way back on everything while dh is gone. Our evening meals are generally fruit or fresh veggies (steamed broccoli, asparagus, carrots, steamed green beans)

homemade bread and cheese of some sort. I try to keep lunch fun with different sandwiches, quesadillas, pasta etc., but for dinner, it's pointless to cook a real meal. None of my kids are great eaters and I hate leftovers.

I'm use to cooking for 6. Dh is deploying and the exchange students are gone. I need dinner ideas.

Mac and cheese with cream of mushroom soup mixed in it! It makes the mac sooooo creamy, and my kids don't even realize that it's mushrooms in it. If you like tuna you can add that to it for a tuna casserole. The best is the velveeta shells and cheese.

When my hubby is deployed I make a lot of things *I* like that he doesn't. I also tend to make a lot of *really* easy meals-soup and sandwiches, pasta salad, BBQ in the crockpot, etc. I just cut up fresh veggies -cucumbers, carrots, celery, broccoli-and set them out for the kids to dip. I agree with the other poster that we do breakfast for dinner (something hubby doesn't like doing) about once a week when he's gone-pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc. I also try to set aside my time and budget to eat out with friends once a week. Doing *all* of the cooking and cleaning yourself *really* wears on you.

I know this probably isn't what you're looking for, but we cut way back on everything while dh is gone. Our evening meals are generally fruit or fresh veggies (steamed broccoli, asparagus, carrots, steamed green beans)

homemade bread and cheese of some sort. I try to keep lunch fun with different sandwiches, quesadillas, pasta etc., but for dinner, it's pointless to cook a real meal. None of my kids are great eaters and I hate leftovers.

I am the same way. I have a hard time keeping motivated to make a "real" meal during deployment (ours is coming up as well).

I think breakfast dinner is a great idea.

I generally plan meals like this: pasta, bean, breakfast/egg, pizza night, soup and bread, and grill with rice nights. We also have a "Must-go" night when I pull everything out of the fridge and we use it up. Dh also insists that I eat out regularly because he knows I need it for my mental health ;).

I usually lose weight during deployment because I can't be bothered to make real food. Now that my kids are eating more I am forced to make more, otherwise I would NOT eat well.

I hope the deployment flies by!!!! I know it doesn't seem like it now. Bless you and your dh and your entire family.

Jo

I'm use to cooking for 6. Dh is deploying and the exchange students are gone. I need dinner ideas.

Honestly, I would keep cooking the same amounts. Freeze 1/2 right off the top.

I used to hate it when DH deployed and the kids were younger, as I knew I had to make healthy meals for them, but I'm wasn't really inclined to cook (especially when I was the *big* eater). I no longer have this problem (2 teens took care of that, and my 3rd son eats well too). But, I discovered back then it was much easier for me to make big batches and only have to cook 1/2 as often.

Of course, if it was just me, and DH was deployed. . .popcorn would be my mainstay! :lurk5:;)

When my dh is deployed, I try to make things really easy, as it looks like others do. I actually buy a menu mailer and follow it. Or, I buy a freezer menu mailer and do that. Then, I almost always have a freezer meal to take out in the morning and I don't have to think about our evening meal.

May G-d be with your dh and your family during this deployment.

:grouphug:

:iagree:

May God go with him and protect him and bring him home to you, safe and sound.

Thank you for your sacrifice. Please thank him for his sacrifice on behalf of a grateful citizen.

I have no meal ideas, I just wanted to say the above.

Vegies and Rice. Very simple.

Dish up a bowl of rice, add steamed vegies and leftover meat if desired, then top with grated cheese and your choice of seasonings such as salt, pepper, curry, baisil or sumac.

sometimes I just use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. My kids like the short-grain sticky rice or calrose rice with this, I think because it is more moist.