Menu

Do I want a Kindle Fire or just the Touch?

I have them both coming. We're now planning to only keep one and get my husband a full tablet (probably an Asus Prime unless he decides on the iPad, but he can use it for stuff) . But which one should I keep?

I'm leaning towards the Touch. The reasons have to do with ease of reading, I don't know if I would like reading on a computer screen all the time, plus being able to read outside. And I don't know what I would do with the Fire. I sort of don't get it. I mean, I understand it can stream from the cloud. I even have stuff on the cloud.:001_smile: But why do that on that device? What else does a tablet like that do? What would apps do for me? :tongue_smilie:I really am clueless on all this.

My sister's vote is for the plain reader. She likes her Nook and says she would not like reading books on the computer screen. But what says the Hive?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, apps on tablets can do some cool things. Look at the thread about using an app called Notability to write on PDFs on a tablet. A kid could do entire curricula on there if they come in PDF files. That's just one example. Tomorrow I'm sure someone else will come up with another super creative use for a tablet. As to WHY you would want to stream movies and music to it, I'm not sure aside from portability. You can bring your movie to the bathroom with you, I guess. :tongue_smilie: Really it's just the cool factor. It won't do anything you can't do with a little netbook, which is far cheaper and has a real keyboard. Some people find them wonderful and indispensable (they've found a use like the first example) and others just have them for fun.

But if you wanted to get this as something to read books on, keep the Kindle Touch. The e-ink screen really is lovely. I have a Kindle 2 that goes everywhere with me. If you just want to read, the Touch will be great for that, hold tons of books, hold a charge longer, not be as distracting, not strain the eyes, and cost less. Do get a cover for it.

Some complaints with the fire is the lack of external volume control (it's built into the internal controls) and a bit of slower internet. In the next two weeks though there should be an update available for download.

Also Amazon is already talking of upgrading the interface and re-releasing the Fire in the spring (just heard this this morning on the tech news section).

That being said that DH loves his Fire. Loves it. He loves some of the apps for dd. He also likes the backlit screen because when he reads in bed and stays up after me the light on his nightstand bugs me badly. He can turn the lights off and still do what he wants on his Fire without bothering me.

I've chosen to stick with my plain Kindle rather than get the Fire. I have a smart phone that I already don't use all the features on. I won't be watching TV or movies on my Kindle - it seems silly to me to get something that can do all that when I don't need it to.

My mom is getting a fire but she doesn't have a smart phone. There's no redundancy for her.

ETA: I've had my kindle for 2 years now and I don't think I'd survive without it. It's a wonder we don't all have carpal tunnel syndrome from holding big books all the time!! (Yes, I'm spoiled)

Edited by TXMomof4

I'm holding off on the Fire until I see what this

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397410,00.asp

turns into. If I can get an inexpensive tablet that would let me do the .PDF stuff, watch video, and so on, I could also get a basic Kindle as an e-reader if needed and have the e-ink screen (although I actually read quite a few books on my iPod with the Kindle app now that my local library has e-book checkout. I can't see using it for school, but it's great as far as keeping a light mystery in my purse for when I'm waiting for DD at gymnastics or dance).

I read books on my iTouch but generally only when away from home. My eyes are old, but it works. You get used to touching the screen to flip the page. It become unconscious after a time. I find my Nook a little heavy to carry in my purse compared to the iTouch. However, for just regular reading, the Nook beats the iTouch hands down.

I assume you mean the Kindle Touch, not the iTouch, right? I just got the touch. I haven't really used it much and I have never seen the Fire, so I can't give too much advice. The size of the device is something to consider. The Touch is pretty small, which is good and bad. When I put the font size where I want, there aren't many words on the page. However, for the purpose of portability, the size is perfect.