Menu

Homeschooling is such a privilege

I just want to say that I am happy that I homeschool. It's not perfect and I'm insanely busy between homeschooling, my college classes, working in dh's company and taking care of all the ordinary stuff like pot roasts and soccer practice, but I am so grateful that I am able to homeschool.

It is absolutely magical to watch my little guy beginning to read smoothly and well, to watch the lightbulb go off as I demonstrate subtraction with MUS blocks and to hear him insightfully tell me how the water cycle works. And seriously, what would I do without ds12 around for most of the day, even if he still cannot properly spell "because"? :D

I just wanted to put it out there because sometimes the hard parts get all the attention. If it wasn't good so much of the time, then - off to school they'd all trek. They are still here because I really do like it that way. :001_smile:

My oldest dd is 16 and a junior in high school. I have always homeschooled. I am beginning the process of looking back over these past 11 years. It has been such a privilege to be able to be at home and homeschool all of my children. I can't imagine missing out on all the experiences we have shared together, the good and the not-so-good.

Thanks for reminding me of this today!

Elise in NC

I just want to say that I am happy that I homeschool. It's not perfect and I'm insanely busy between homeschooling, my college classes, working in dh's company and taking care of all the ordinary stuff like pot roasts and soccer practice, but I am so grateful that I am able to homeschool.

It is absolutely magical to watch my little guy beginning to read smoothly and well, to watch the lightbulb go off as I demonstrate subtraction with MUS blocks and to hear him insightfully tell me how the water cycle works. And seriously, what would I do without ds12 around for most of the day, even if he still cannot properly spell "because"? :D

I just wanted to put it out there because sometimes the hard parts get all the attention. If it wasn't good so much of the time, then - off to school they'd all trek. They are still here because I really do like it that way. :001_smile:

YES!!! I feel the same way. Thought difficulties pop up, I am deeply convinced that this is the way to go for my family. I am loving seeing all the progress we have made in the past eight years of "official" schooling.

Here, here! For your son learning to read and subtract!

And hooray for:

- another grammar level completed - who knew that six different verb tenses/emphatic-progressive-simple verb forms/intransitive-complete vs. intransitive-linking verbs could lend so much subtlety to expressing oneself in writing or speech??

- another level of math completed - "yes, dear, we are doing fractions again this year; trust me, you'll be glad for all this boring review in a few more years."

- another few pages done in the Latin book - starting to make more connections between English and Latin - and "yes, dear, you have to recite the verb-grammar forms again and review that pack of third declension feminine nouns - it'll make your translations easier to do."

- another year to practice spelling - "see, dear, I told you a few years ago that you *would* be able to read and spell easily one day, and now look at you! Good job!"

Hooray for homeschooling!

Thank you. I absolutely needed to read this today, right now. Today is one of those days for me that the public school is looking very enticing.. even though I know in my heart of hearts it is not an option