Menu

Left over grilled chicken - meal ideas

I grilled a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast for our family this weekend to use for a few meals since I knew we were going to be super busy. I divided the meat into thirds.

The first meal, I cut the meat into strips and we ate it with fresh, soft tortillas (and veggies).

The second meal, I chopped the meat into bits and tossed in a little BBQ sauce and served that as sandwiches.

For the third meal, I was thinking about making a light alfredo sauce (skim milk, etc.) but I haven't gotten past just thinking about it.

Any ideas?

My favorite for leftover chicken is chicken tostadas!

I cook up about 4-6 potatoes, cubed. Tear the chicken into bite sized pieces. Toss in with potatoes. Add frozen spinach that has been defrosted and drained. Mix with about 1/3 cup mayo for it all to hold together just a bit.

We eat it warm OR cold! Cold is really good! We spread it onto tostada shells and sprinkle with a bit of salt and hot sauce... and very rarely have leftovers...

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pan-Asian-Chicken-and-Vegetable-Lettuce-Wraps-109058

That's one example - but there are a ton of recipes out there. I frequently use the basic sauce ingredients and just throw whatever veggies and meat i have in.

One simple way is to use carrots, water chestnuts, and green onions with the chicken in the mix, and then the lettuce of course.

Anyway - it's easy to play with and change with whatever you ahve on hand.

I posted a link for a tortilla soup and just clicked on it to look at it again and it didn't work.

http://www.leftoverchicken.com/recipes/view_recipe.php?recipeid=76

My daughter likes the idea for the lettuce wrap. My son liked the idea for a pot pie. I think since I have the ingredients, I am going to make the tortialla soup to avoid a trip to the store.

cooked pasta (I use angel hair, half wheat, half regular)

chopped chicken

butter

olive oil

Italian seasoning

parmesan cheese

salt & black pepper

Toss all together except the cheese, amounts to suit your tastes. Warm together, toss in cheese just before serving. My kids *love* this stuff.