Menu

What are you using for your 5th graders?

wy_kid_wrangler04

I will have a 5th grader next year, and though this is my 2nd time with a 5th grader there will be NOTHING done the same as the first time around (poor dd 8th :confused:) Anyways, I am looking for inspiration :D I have about 50% of my choices decided.

Math-- contemplating this-- I am playing around with a few options right now

Science-- umm, still deciding for Biology but will also do the MFW science in addition to Biology

History/Bible- MFW CtG

English- I think I am going to go with JAG

Writing- Meaningful Composition

Logic-- what do you do for 5th grade logic?? Or should I wait?

Reading- this will just be a list of classics and books to go with science and history plus she is in a girls reading club with our homeschool group.

Spanish-- ummm, I don't know

Latin-- Getting Started with Latin then _____________ ?

What am I forgetting? :willy_nilly:

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

My 5th grader is doing:

Math: Singapore Math

Science: Sonlight Science

History: SOTW for World History, and Our Island Story for English History

English: Wordly Wise, Voyages in Literature (an Aussie program) for grammar but am planning on starting Easy Grammar Plus next year, dictation (for spelling) and copywork (for handwriting).

Writing: Written narrations 3x a week for history and literature.

Logic: Not doing yet. Will wait.

Reading: Reading various literature - some Sonlight and some others like Pilgrim's Progress and Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare. She is also enjoying 'The Princess and the Goblin' at the moment. Lots of narration.

French: Learning basic vocab at the moment.

Latin/Greek: Planning on starting English from the Roots Up in the New Year.

Art: Mark Kistler 3-D art lessons online. Draw and Write Through History (just the drawing part). Artistic Pursuits. Painting from nature. Drawing scenes from history and literature.

Poetry: Poems of William Blake

Memorizing: Psalm 84, Exodus 20: 1-17, William Blake poem. a hymn.

Music: Piano, violin, singing together (we are learning harmony together), listening to Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' and learning to play a simplified version of "Spring" with siblings on various instruments.

PE: Currently, the kids are choosing a game or sport each week to play during their morning break. One week was soccer, then cricket, then baseball. Handball is the current game of choice I think. I require them to get outside and active during morning break time. We're not very structured on this but it seems to be working well and they are having fun together and keeping a day-to-day running tally of their scores. It must be serious...;)

Edited by LindaOz

Math: 5A/5B SM. Love the way that the material is presented and the word problems really get him thinking. He had Everyday Math at PS, an old math textbook (1999) at home. SM is working well, but he's sailing through it, so we will probably transition into something else relatively soon

Science: Holt Science and Technology- Life Science. This is a middle school series starting with Earth Science (6), then Life Science (7), then Physical Science (8). We took about a year and a quarter to year and a half to finish the 6th grade Earth Science. Highly recommended for the accelerated learner who prefers depth over breadth.

Social Studies: Moving into the Middle Ages, contemplating History Odyssey, but have a 7th grade textbook that covers this time frame as well- Across the Centuries

Reading: Historical fiction related to our social studies units. Currently on King Arthur. He wants to learn about the Byzantine Empire next so we will read The Emperor's Winding Sheet.

Music: Drums, bells (Xylophone), and piano.

Spanish: Highly, highly, highly recommend Rosetta Stone (if you can afford it) and then begin supplementing with Madrigal's Spanish lessons once a core vocabulary is established.

Art: I'm always at a loss for art....

My 5th grader is the kid who will follow TWTM with the logic stage. My plans are tentative, but here's what I have so far:

Math: Math Mammoth 5a/b, more Kitchen Table Math, some real-world math (as suggested in TWTM)

Language Arts: MCT LA, Classical Composition (Narrative level)

Latin: Henle Latin or Latin Prep (can't decide)

Religion: Loyola's Kids Book of Heroes and Journey thru the Bible

Science, history and writing per TWTM.

I'm going to have her read the MCT Lit selections.

We also have a US History theme that's continuous in our homeschool, so next year I want to get thru a booklist about Lincoln and the Civil War.

Some of the fiction I would like her to read (if she wants to) include:

Tales from Shakespeare, A Wrinkle in Time, The Two Collars, Stone Fox, The Big Wave and we always have read-alouds.

I plan to follow TWTM writing assignments with the history notebook, outlining, timeline, narrative essays, literary essays, etc.

I had to reread the 3rd edition TWTM over the past couple of weeks. It is a lot to sift through.

Forgot to add: Kid is asking to work thru that Apologia's Anatomy and Physiology textbook.

Edited by starrbuck12

:bigear:

5th grade is giving me a headache.

I was going to use HOD CTC, but I think it will be too difficult and too much Bible history. Since I will have 5th grader and a first grader I am leaning towards a mostly WTM method and combining because they both can through a 4 year cycle.

Backup plan 1

Math-MM5

Grammar-R&S5

Writing-WWS

Spelling- SWO?

History- SOTW/MOH/Kingfisher combo a la WTM (my 1st grader will do the SOTW part) with draw and write through history

Science-Elemental Biology logic stage

lit/reading- CHOLL ancients

Logic- mind benders?

art/music-classes

Last year for 5th grade we used:

Oak Meadow 5 (English, Social Studies, Science)

Sentence Composing for Elementary School

Teaching Textbooks 5

Handwriting Without Tears Can Do Cursive

http://www.makingmusicfun.net (The Meet The Orchestra section)

Plus weekly judo classes, Girl Scouts, and library book club, lots of extra reading together, and lots of field trips, outings and activities with our homeschool group.

Here's what we used, though realize that we use secular material pretty exclusively:

Math-- Saxon 6/5 and Life of Fred fractions

Science-- Science Olympiad competition, along with (first semester) an overview of Earth science and (second semester) a basic physics program I pulled together from various sources. I felt like we hadn't really given these two topics enough attention in elementary, so I wanted to revisit them at least at a basic level before starting middle school science. We don't follow the WTM science rotation.

History--k12 Human Odyssey vol. 1 with teacher/student guides, but no online portion, up through fall of Rome.

Geography-- an overview of world geography, continent by continent, mainly using travel videos.

English (incl writing)- MCT Town level and Caesar's English (but I haven't continued this as it was not the best fit for us). Literature was mostly reading for various book clubs.

Logic--Logic Countdown and Logic Lift Off

Spanish-- R.E.A.L. Homeschool Spanish

She took art and PE as outside classes.

1) Nurk, Mathematics 6, paper book and PDF, and Tanton, Mathematical Thinking PDF

2) Thompson, MCT level 2-3, and various topical books from other publishers example; Cottonwood press’ DownWriteFunny by Randy Larson.

3) Petersons Directed Handwriting, Cursive PDF

4) Nebel, Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding Vol. 2-3, paper book and PDF

5) HAOH, Ancient Upper Elementary, and finishing American history from last year mp3

6) Murphy, Lessons for the Young Economist both paper and Kindle app on iPad/Pod, and Mayburys' Uncle Eric books in addition

7) Human Japanese, iPod app

I shall consider adding Latin for the New Millennium.

{bolded e-formats to show the encroachment of different delivery methods}

I have a 5th grader this year and this is what we are doing:

Math: Teaching Textbooks 5 (for review-2 lessons a day) and Right Start Math (1 day a week) Right Start Materials everyday in addition to TT

History: Combination of SOTW 3 and Time Travelers CD's

Language Arts: Shurley English 4, Winning with Writing, Hand Writing without Tears Can Do Cursive,

Wordly Wise, All About Spelling, Inside Stories Literature

Latin: Latin for Children

Geography: Maps, Graphs and Globes and A Child's Geography (mixing both) Going to be adding Road Trip USA in January

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Bible: the Long Story Short

Science: Real Science Odyssey

Logic: Still looking to add something one day a week

The only thing we do daily is LA, History and Math and Bible. Everything else is added between one and three days a week.

Edited by fourcatmom

I did forget Art is included in MFW and she will be in band for music plus doing the MFW composer studies. I have no clue what to do for PE other than play and going to the track which we do nearly daily already. Do you recommend Logic for 5th? Does the WTM recommend it? I see some are doing it and some are waiting. What would the benefits of starting in 5th be?

I also forgot, we will be writing from science or history also.

Current 5th grader:

Math: MM 5

Science: ES Biology for the Logic Stage

History: American History of my own (includes tons of historical fiction which she loves)

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

Logic: Logic Liftoff currently

Literature: Combo. of a number of things - just completed Best Selling Chapters, will be doing some K12 5th grade literature, and she has requested to do some Inside Stories after finding the books on the shelf. She also reads whatever she wants constantly

Writing: we write across curricula; we are also looking at possibly doing WWW but not sure on that yet

Grammar: GWG

Other: Atelier Art when we have the time, piano, dance, etc...

I did forget Art is included in MFW and she will be in band for music plus doing the MFW composer studies. I have no clue what to do for PE other than play and going to the track which we do nearly daily already. Do you recommend Logic for 5th? Does the WTM recommend it? I see some are doing it and some are waiting. What would the benefits of starting in 5th be?

I am curious about this as well - the bold part. I am thinking instead of purchasing more books (we have too many as it is) that I could just print some worksheets off from online and have then start working through some type of thinking activities that way.

My daughter enjoys the logic puzzles like you find in the Dell Logic books at the grocery store---the matrix kind. We just finished The Great Chocolate Caper and she thought that was fun. For us, it was a fun supplemental activity. Many of the books I've seen marketed as homeschool curricula (like Mindbenders) seem awfully expensive for what they are. I'd start with printing off some puzzles and working through them to see how your child responds.

I am curious about this as well - the bold part. I am thinking instead of purchasing more books (we have too many as it is) that I could just print some worksheets off from online and have then start working through some type of thinking activities that way.

My daughter enjoys the logic puzzles like you find in the Dell Logic books at the grocery store---the matrix kind. We just finished The Great Chocolate Caper and she thought that was fun. For us, it was a fun supplemental activity. Many of the books I've seen marketed as homeschool curricula (like Mindbenders) seem awfully expensive for what they are. I'd start with printing off some puzzles and working through them to see how your child responds.

Good ideas! Thank you. We started Sudoku puzzles this year as well. She is starting to like them :lol:

I just reread WTM (should have taken better ) but I am pretty sure she recommends Logic in 5th. I want to say it was a lot of time too, like 3 hours a week. I am going to reread again and take better notes. I was more looking for History this last time I read.

We just finished The Great Chocolate Caper and she thought that was fun. For us, it was a fun supplemental activity.

Can you tell me which edition you used? There seem to be multiple editions with a tremendous price difference. The only thing I can tell that is different from the descriptions on Amazon is the number of pages in the book. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but I'm very interested in this type of book. Thanks!

My two 5th graders are using:

- Math: CLE

- History: HOD's CTC

- Science: mishmash of Ambleside Online and CTC science

- Grammar: R&S 4

- Writing/English: Intermediate Language Lessons, copywork, dictation, weekly written narration and daily multiple oral narrations

- Bible: CTC scheduled Bible readings

- Art: Simply Charlotte Mason Picture Study Portfolios, regular drawing and nature journaling

- Geography: A Child's Geography, the Holy Land

- Poetry: Robert Frost, plus weekly Poet-Teas exploring a variety of poetry/poets

Dd 5th grade this year ...

Math - Teaching Textbooks 5

Grammar - Growing with Grammar 4 (started with R&S 5 but it was NOT a fit)

Spelling - All About Spelling 4 & 5

Vocab - Vocabulary Cartoons (huge favorite & holy cow is it sticking!)

Bible - reading through the O.T. along with a DK book and Patch the Pirate Club Devotions

History - combo SOTW I/MOH I with SOTW Activity Guide

Science - I have Apologia and Christian Kids Explore in the house but it isn't getting done...yet.

Reading - list of classics to choose from plus some additional readings with history

Copywork Jar

We have a bi-monthly co-op that includes art class, choir, gym, birds, Magic Tree House unit study, science lab, and knitting class.

This dd is SO different than her older sister. I have really had to rethink curriculum with her every step of the way. Other than science (which is my fault) and writing, every thing is finally falling into place.

I am enjoying reading these. I will have a 5th grader next year too. I haven't begun seriously planning yet, and have not even reread WTM logic in quite a while. My plan is to begin in January when I will have more time to focus. For now, these are the things I know:

math: R&S 6

English R&S 5

Spelling: R&S 6

Writing: ??? Thinking of using something, but undecided. So far we have used WTM methods on our own and R&S assignments.

Literature: Considering that free Classical House of Learning that I downloaded, using WTM recs too

Latin: First Form, but with DVDs or by me is the question

History: WTM style w/Kingfisher Encyclopedia and notebooking

Science: considering ClassicQuest, still undecided

Art: What does WTM recommend? We are mid- Drawing w/Children right now.

Logic: I know something is recommended for grade 5. But it wasn't serious logic, just critical thinking type games if I remember correctly.

Music: ?? Probably continue w/R&S workbooks among other things, maybe lessons of some sort.

P.E: continue dance

:bigear:

I'm slowly starting to plan 5th grade for next year.

I 'think' WTM recommends Mind Benders for logic about 3 times per week... don't quote me on that, though. ;)

So far what I have planned is:

Math: MM5 along with Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals and Percents (not sure if we'll get to the Fraction one this year, though.)

Also maybe Hands on Equations? It looks so fun.

Reading: McGuffey's 5th reader to read out loud to me and a list of Lit., History and Science reads that I have to figure out still

History: American History using ??? Along w/ SOTW 3 maybe

Science: Elemental Science Physical Science for the Grammar stage (combining w/ his younger brother)

Writing: We're going to start Classical Writing Aesop A in a few weeks, so hopefully this will work well and we'll continue w/ Aesop B next year.

Latin: Getting Started w/ Latin

Everything else: ??????