Menu

In regards to hobby thread

I was so overwhelmed reading how many activites most children are involved in. I have two sons - ages 4 and 6 and a surprise bundle of joy (a girl!!!) due in March. The boys are not involved in any organized activites at the moment, but we are in the process of finding a new church (Sunday school, wed. night choir). We are also planning on letting them try out t-ball in the spring and we will have both involved in tiger/cub/boy scouts when the time comes.

That will probably be it unless they decide to do 4-H or a sport that really inspires them.

They will also hunt & fish and learn all about farm life being home with us.

I'm not up for driving one child to one place while dh drives one to another and for our weekends to be taken up by our kids activities... every single weekend.

I'm not bashing people that have their kids in a lot of activities... in fact, I'm envious. I just really don't think I'd be able to deal with it.

Sometimes I feel like I'm alone. Does anyone else have the same track of thinking that I do? Am I completely off base?

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about organized sports, activities - not hobbies that your children do at home)

Well, I was you when my children were that age. All I can say is that as my children grew, I wanted to provide them with opportunities to make friends and to participate in things that they love. My husband coaches several of the sports my children are involved in. He loves it. I love watching my kids have success on the court/field. We are also involved in a coop for academic enrichment and church. Sometimes, I think we are crazy, but when it comes right down to it, each activity meets a unique need for at least one of my children. We do have a list of qualifications that an activity has to pass before we will agree to commit. We say no to a lot, but are still busy with outside activities at least 4-5 eve. a week. Everyone makes their own choices and these are ours. :001_smile:

Joy

I imagine the parents whose children are not in a lot of activities didn't bother to respond to that thread. I didn't.

My kids are involved in two outside activities; Awana club and fencing.

They have a ton of hobbies (if defined as things kids like to spend time doing).

I don't worry about it. We don't feel the need to be involved in a lot of stuff and couldn't afford it even if we wanted to.

We have done coop in the past. Currently we have church and cubscouts for the oldest and occasional outings.

My boys love legos, video games, playing outside on 8 acres, playing on our playground and riding scooters.

We do attend a family camp where for a week I didn't see my oldest boys as they were off playing with other children.

We live 30 minutes from anything so we do limit outside things at this time.

We also see grandparents, help a grandma, and go to the zoo.

We used to do library time but they kinda outgrew that.

I am sure at some point we will do more outside things but for now I think less is more.

I guess I'm just worried my kids will lack because of it. Much like the last post, we live out in the country - about 30+ min from league sports so our options are limited to begin with.

I think I just wanted to know that I'm not alone... that my kids will grow up well educated, rounded, and socialized with just several activites under their belts.

New homeschool mom fears ;)

Sometimes I feel like I'm alone. Does anyone else have the same track of thinking that I do? Am I completely off base?

No, you're not alone. We made the decision to commit to tae kwon do for DS. DH takes him Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. We allow two local-ish tournaments per year. After nearly 4 years of this, I'm beginning to hate Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays because it cuts those days so short. That's his only scheduled activity.

DD goes to youth group on Monday nights. Usually, the leaders provide the transportation to and from youth group. DD has expressed the need for more time with friends and chances to get a break from siblings, but I just don't want to add anything more to our schedule. It's too full already.

The younger two children have no scheduled activities at all.

My kids did less when they were younger. But, as they've gotten older, we've found they are happier when they are busier. So, the schedule has gradually gotten more crowded.

If you and your kids are happy, why worry?

:iagree: Different structures and schedules work better for different people. We're doing much more than I would have dreamed we'd be doing with our kids at this age. But less than some other families I know. The structure and schedule keeps us on track and we seem to do better with not squandering time at home. Both my kids do well with more social and more "input" right now. When my kids were 2 and 6, my oldest did just a couple things on and off. But we did more things like play groups and standing play dates. Sometimes things change without necessarily planning for them.

Well if I were you, I'd do my best to teach my children how to have a thankful heart. That way when they grow up, they will realize that it's not about what they didn't get, but what they did get. And hopefully they will realize that you did your best. Because there will always be something for them to criticize; let's face it none of us are perfect, but hopefully our kids realize that we always did our best.

And no, my kids aren't involved in any extracurriculars. We just can't afford any. That probably won't change any time soon, so I'm working on teaching them to be grateful for what they do get.

When my kids were that age, we were involved in very little. We used to do soccer and gymnastics and swim lessons in the summer but only one thing at a time. We didn't have the time or energy for many activities. They were in school, I was in school, we were so busy that with all the running around that I do now, I will never feel as busy and stressed as I did then. :p Anyway, I just think everyone just needs to do what they can and what works for their own individual family.