Menu

TMI-diaper rash

Baby girl has had a really nasty diaper rash for the past four or five days. I have been letting it air dry and washing it and it was getting better until she took a four hour nap today. Now it is really bad again. At her check up yesterday, the doctor gave me a prescription for a yeast infection cream. I know nothing about yeast infections; is there a way to treat them more naturally. I'm not opposed to using medications; I'm opposed to the overuse of them. Is there anything else I could try instead and leave the cream as a last resort?

(I'm pretty sure it was not diet related as she hasn't eaten any solid foods in the last week plus and I haven't eaten anything new or unusual that might be affecting her.)

Thank you

Baby girl has had a really nasty diaper rash for the past four or five days. I have been letting it air dry and washing it and it was getting better until she took a four hour nap today. Now it is really bad again. At her check up yesterday, the doctor gave me a prescription for a yeast infection cream. I know nothing about yeast infections; is there a way to treat them more naturally. I'm not opposed to using medications; I'm opposed to the overuse of them. Is there anything else I could try instead and leave the cream as a last resort?

(I'm pretty sure it was not diet related as she hasn't eaten any solid foods in the last week plus and I haven't eaten anything new or unusual that might be affecting her.)

Thank you

I really Like Kerry's Miracle Salve. It was the only thing that consistently kept my yeast-prone boys' bottoms healthy.

FWIW, our pediatrician recommended Lotrimin (yes, the foot cream) or Monistat instead of the Rx stuff. Works just as well, for a fraction of the cost.

(wow. apparently the quote button is the only way I know how to reply these days... goes along with random substitution of "dishwasher" for other, non-related nouns yesterday. :001_huh:)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Thank you

yeast live in the gut. when it gets on your skin, it causes a rash. it is the same thing that causes athlets foot and yeast infections in diverse places in adults. it is easy to treat with antifungals.

anti-fungals are NOT the same as antibiotics. (bacteria can develop resistance.). antifungals are easily obtained OTC in various formulations.

just use the yeast cream. (antifungal).

as a pp said - lotrimin and monistat are both antifungals.

Edited by gardenmom5

Magic Butt Cream is the best we ever used:

Mix

1 part Monistat or Lotrimin (anti fungal/yeast cream)

1 part Maalax (cuts the acid in the urine)

1 part Desitin (soothing)

Mix that together and spread on with each diaper change. Our pharmacy actually sells it premixed as so many people asked for it that way. This is what they use in our local children's hospital as well.

Magic Butt Cream is the best we ever used:

Mix

1 part Monistat or Lotrimin (anti fungal/yeast cream)

1 part Maalax (cuts the acid in the urine)

1 part Desitin (soothing)

Mix that together and spread on with each diaper change. Our pharmacy actually sells it premixed as so many people asked for it that way. This is what they use in our local children's hospital as well.

That sounds awesome! What a great present for a new Momma, to whip that up and give it in an old jelly jar.

That sounds awesome! What a great present for a new Momma, to whip that up and give it in an old jelly jar.

Yes, easy to make and stays good for a long time (just might need to give it a stir). Our NP used to work peds at the children's hospital and she told us to use this and got the pharmacy mixing it up.

Personally, I would use the yeast cream (antifungal) to get rid of this rash, and then use something like desitin, boudreaux's butt paste or plain vaseline to create a barrier and prevent further rashes from coming on. Use the antifungal at least 4x/day (it's really very safe) for TWO OR THREE WEEKS to make sure you have seen the last of the yeast. (If you run out of the rx, you can get some generic lotrimin (clotrimazole) for pretty inexpensive, in the athlete's foot section or the vaginal yeast infection area of the drug store.) Even if it looks like the rash is clearing up, do not stop using the cream, because the yeast is probably not really gone and will come back meaner than before unless/until you really kill it.

I would continue to give her some "open air" time every day - let the light reach it, let it dry.

Oatmeal baths can help with discomfort, but I would avoid soap in the water - iow, wash her up first, then empty the tub and refill with water/oatmeal if needed. Don't let her sit in soapy water.

Speaking from a long and painful history of yeast infections/rashes/thrush with 3 kids. :grouphug: to the baby - hope she feels better soon.

You might think about the diapers you're using. If cloth, you need to really kill the yeast in the diaper, if disposable, you might see if it's part of the problem. You can use Monistat... like for v*gin*l yeast infections... which means if you grab the natural one, that would probably work, too. You might try coconut oil just for say... a day... to see if it would work. It's really good at killing problems :) I know tea tree and yogurt can work, too... but they sting/burn...

:)

I'll never forget the rash DD got one time. NOTHING worked. We had several prescriptions. Then, one day I was reading that washing your diapers with some vinegar did something for them (NO memory, for anything, at this point!). So, I decided to try that on the rash. STUNG like crazy. She started SCREAMING. BUT.....at the next diaper change I noticed a huge difference. I did it again, and by the end of the day, her rash was almost completely gone. She had some scarring type of marks for a few weeks. But the vinegar cleared it up almost instantly!

yeast live in the gut. when it gets on your skin, it causes a rash. it is the same thing that causes athlets foot and yeast infections in diverse places in adults. it is easy to treat with antifungals.

anti-fungals are NOT the same as antibiotics. (bacteria can develop resistance.). antifungals are easily obtained OTC in various formulations.

just use the yeast cream. (antifungal).

as a pp said - lotrimin and monistat are both antifungals.

:iagree: My dd needed antifungals as a baby for a bad rash episode as well. The poor little thing was soooooo uncomfortable. Please just use the cream--it's a benign treatment that should clear it right up.

Thank you everyone. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get the stuff for the baby butt paste. I put some coconut oil on it tonight, as that's all I have and she's headed off to bed now. We'll see if that helps at all. I swear, you all are better than Google.

You might be right on the teething; I've been watching her top front teeth making their way down. It always seems so painful. Poor baby girl.

Thank you everyone. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get the stuff for the baby butt paste. I put some coconut oil on it tonight, as that's all I have and she's headed off to bed now. We'll see if that helps at all. I swear, you all are better than Google.

You might be right on the teething; I've been watching her top front teeth making their way down. It always seems so painful. Poor baby girl.

Well, while you're out shopping for butt paste ingredients (that stuff IS great. We had a local compounding pharmacy making it for us for a while), look for some Herbs for Kids Gum-o-mile teething oil. It's essentially oil of clove in a chamomile infused olive oil base. Works much better the orajel. ;)

Well, while you're out shopping for butt paste ingredients (that stuff IS great. We had a local compounding pharmacy making it for us for a while), look for some Herbs for Kids Gum-o-mile teething oil. It's essentially oil of clove in a chamomile infused olive oil base. Works much better the orajel. ;)

I haven't been using anything for teething yet. Would that be found at a health food store?

I bet they do. I know they have teething tablets (homeopathic). The coconut oil is great for yeast rashes, and so is oil of oregano. Can you give her some probiotics, too?

Can a baby younger than a year have dairy? When Pigby was a baby they said no dairy until a year old. They keep changing things up, I can't ever remember the new rules.

I've found coconut oil to work wonders on my dd. Ds had horrible rashes and nothing really helped long term. With dd, at the first sign of redness I would put on raw, virgin coconut oil and the redness would be gone- usually that day, sometimes the next. One time I didn't have any coconut oil handy and used regular baby cream for a day or two and the rash got worse than normal. I had to apply the coconut oil twice a day for a week at that point, but it still worked.

They have some powder probiotics you can give her. My baby gets really bad diaper rashes when she is teething a few days of probiotics and it clears it right up. We have a powdery kind that I would just give her a tiny bit on the tip of my finger before she nursed when she was an infant. Now, I give her a baby spoonful before we nurse.

I should really use it all the time, but I forget until she gets those darn rashes.

The Aveeno oatmeal baby wash helps a lot too.