Menu

Do you use religious or secular science curriculum?

Do you use a religious or secular science curriculum?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use a religious or secular science curriculum?

• YEC-based religious curriculum
    • OEC-based religious curriculum
    • other religious curriculum
    • secular curriculum
    • Both
    • We don't do science.
    • Other
    • I love polls, but hate giving answers.
    • I hate polls, stop it.
    • The Stig

Well I will have to introduce to the kids that this is dad's belief and this is mom's belief and we each read our own texts. You think that would confuse the kids much?

I'm in the same situation. However, I've told my dh that if he wants her to be taught YEC, he can teach it to her in the evenings. So far, he hasn't done it. :D

I have mentioned to my dd that we believe differently, but I don't think it's something she understands yet. She loves National Geographic for Kids, and I've heard her quoting "millions of years" from an article to her secular hs'ing friend. So, I would say I'm having the most influence.

However, as she enters high school, DH might be more adamant about it, and I will have to teach both. I suppose that will be easier for her to understand in the teen years, than it would be now.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have used Rod & Staff in the past, but I'm switching to a secular program for my youngest. I liked R&S 3-6.

We tried a BJU high school level text but my dd was completely turned off when they bashed our church in the beginning of the text. :001_huh:

I'm ready to go secular. I can add my own beliefs in. I don't want to be hammered over the head anymore.:smash:

Both. Whether it's secular or faith-based, there is bound to be something I will disagree with or have a different POV on. It's life and that is the world of science. I told my science kid that if he disagrees with something in the text, he may discuss it with me, he may look up information on it, etc. However, I also told him that, if he's in the context of university or career, he will need to just keep his head down and trap shut on certain controversial disagreements ;)

My kids need to know all views. They will face these views in the world. They will face disagreement. They will hear my view. They know that they are free to form their own views and even disagree with me if that is what they believe. I will respect them for that as long as they feel they can back it up and not just because someone "said this or that"...including me.

Both - though not by choice. I would love an OE/Christian pov curriculum for middle school but as far as I can tell, no such animal exists.Sigh... So Ds (8th) is using Apologia General and we are discussing it like crazy and skipping the modules that focus heavily on the YE view point.

Oldest, non-science girl, lover of philosophy, is using an excellent OE pov science apologetic course from Reasons to Believe. LOVE IT.

Ds will do secular science in high school, either at home or as a class at the high school, and I plan on him using the same apologetic course in 11th as oldest dd.