Menu

Scout moms -- ds needs a movie for Citizenship in the Community MB

Ds (age 11) has to do this:

With the approval of your counselor and a parent, watch a movie that shows how the actions of one individual or group of individuals can have a positive effect on a community. Discuss with your counselor what you learned from the movie about what it means to be a valuable and concerned member of the community.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

Follow Me, Boys!

(based on a true story of a man who became a Boy Scout leader in a small town - Disney at their best!)

http://www.amazon.com/Follow-Me-Boys-Fred-MacMurray/dp/B0000DZ3EG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320879320&sr=8-1

Dc LOVE this movie and it is actually my fallback choice for the mb. But I was wondering if there was something more cutting-edge, more modern, more complicated. I think ds is ready for that.

Dc haven't seen this yet -- thanks for the reminder. I will put it on my family viewing list.

Ds (age 11) has to do this:

With the approval of your counselor and a parent, watch a movie that shows how the actions of one individual or group of individuals can have a positive effect on a community. Discuss with your counselor what you learned from the movie about what it means to be a valuable and concerned member of the community.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

We watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart - it was great!

Blessings,

Angela

The Hiding Place (hiding Jews during WWII)

October Sky (small town American community comes together at the time of Sputnik/Cold War)

Ruby Bridges (Disney- intergrating schools)

Mr Holland's Opus (self- sacrificing teacher)

Apollo 13?

Not sure of your age range, but only Ruby is rated G

My kids have loved It's a Wonderful Life and other old movies of that nature. "Regular people' or "Every man" movies are not as common now as they were in Jimmy Stewart's time. (I agree with folks who have mentioned Mr Smith Goes to Washington.) Anything starring JS it is worth a look.

ETA: Would The Diary of Anne Frank work? They were found, but their protectors risked their lives to try & save them. They were also able to save Anne's diary.

Edited by LibraryLover

United 93 is a wonderful movie, but it might be a little intense for his age level.

Here are a few suggestions:

Lean on Me

Stand and Deliver

October Sky - Great book and wonderful movie plus it's about rockets!

Great minds think alike -- I just added the first two to my Netflix list, but may also order on Amazon, as they are very inexpensive. And we love October Sky.

Our troop watches Erin Brockovitch to fulfill their requirement.

I just put this on my list too.

The Hiding Place (hiding Jews during WWII)

October Sky (small town American community comes together at the time of Sputnik/Cold War)

Ruby Bridges (Disney- intergrating schools)

Mr Holland's Opus (self- sacrificing teacher)

Appolo 13?

I doin't know the age, but only Ruby is rated G

My kids have loved It's a Wonderful Life and other old movies of that nature. "Regular people' movies are not as common now as they were in Jimmy Stewart's time. Anything with him in it is worth a look.

ETA: Would The Diary of Anne Frank work? They were found, but their protectors risked their lives to try & save them. They were also able to save Anne's diary.

I have a space-loving dd, so October Sky and Apollo 13 are staples here. I had not realized that there was a Ruby Bridges movie. Sounds wonderful and dc like movies with children in them.

THX