Menu

It's alittle selfish I know but I am dissappointed...

We went to Ubud Indonsia and I left a silver ring that was my mom's at the hotel. I had searched high and low, over an hour. Later, I called the hotel, we we about 45 minutes away, and they had found it. I guess they won't mail it. My neighbor has been in Ubud for the week and was going to get my ring. Her husband doesn't like going out in the evening and during the day they have been sightseeing.....She emailed me and said they won't be getting my ring. I am soo dissappointed. In the end, it doesn't matter because it is no different than now.

Wonder if they'd mail it if you sent them a self-addressed/postage included envelope?

Laura might be on to something- it's worth a shot to ask! Did they say WHY they won't mail it? When ds was a baby, we left his baby quilt (that my mom made) at a hotel in Kentucky. They were happy to mail it to us,and it was at our home when we returned from our trip.

I know you're talking a whole different country, but really, they expect travelers to go back and pick up small items or forfeit them??

I'm sad that your friend couldn't be bothered to go pick it up for you.

When we forgot my dd's newly won Black Belt certificate at a hotel I called and agreed to pay for UPS to send it - gave front desk my credit card number to charge to pay UPS and we had the forgotten item in two days. Did you offer to pay the hotel up front to ship the ring?

I am sure that my sil didn't offer to pay the hotel anything to have it shipped. She is super cheap. I have the hotels email. I am going to email them about that and see what they say. It is worth a shot. I know it is overseas and complicated but it doesn't hurt to try and I doubt I would be out too much money if it didn't work.

We went to Ubud Indonsia and I left a silver ring that was my mom's at the hotel. I had searched high and low, over an hour. Later, I called the hotel, we we about 45 minutes away, and they had found it. I guess they won't mail it. My neighbor has been in Ubud for the week and was going to get my ring. Her husband doesn't like going out in the evening and during the day they have been sightseeing.....She emailed me and said they won't be getting my ring. I am soo dissappointed. In the end, it doesn't matter because it is no different than now.

I would be disappointed as well. I'm sorry your neighbor isn't following through :grouphug:.

I hope you're able to get it back somehow!

My neighbor has been in Ubud for the week and was going to get my ring. Her husband doesn't like going out in the evening and during the day they have been sightseeing.....

How incredibly inconsiderate of her! I guess sightseeing ranks higher than getting back a sentimental treasure for a friend. :glare:

I left something in Mexico once and the hotel couldn't send it to me. The excuse was the difficulty in shipping internationally things of uncertain value. It was flimsy, but no amount of arguing would change the answer.

I think it's awful your friend won't take the time to get the ring. She's right there! So sorry!

How incredibly inconsiderate of her! I guess sightseeing ranks higher than getting back a sentimental treasure for a friend. :glare:

That was exactly my first thought! I realize that Indonesia isn't right around the corner and I am sure they have things to see but I tried to put myself in the reverse situation and I would have gone out of my way to make sure I got the ring.

The worst thing is that my mom died a year ago and would have made it that much more meaningful. The silly thing is, the ring probably would cost more to ship than what it would be to just buy it new. :glare:

Guest submarines
That was exactly my first thought! I realize that Indonesia isn't right around the corner and I am sure they have things to see but I tried to put myself in the reverse situation and I would have gone out of my way to make sure I got the ring.

The worst thing is that my mom died a year ago and would have made it that much more meaningful. The silly thing is, the ring probably would cost more to ship than what it would be to just buy it new. :glare:

:grouphug: Write a very personal note to the hotel. Explain the situation, the sentimental value of the ring, and how much it means to you. Offer to pay for the shipping.

If this won't work, ask if they can keep it for you for a period of time. Then place an ad on craiglist, or something similar, and share your story, including the name of the hotel (some people might have it on Google alert). Appeal to those who might be travelling there and staying in the same hotel. I'm sure you will be able to find a person who would bring the ring back. I would've done it in a heartbeat, even for a stranger. I know I'm not the only one.

I recently ruined DD's item that had a sentimental value for her, and I posted on craig's list, hoping to purchases the same item for her (it wasn't available commercially anymore). The person who responded (within minutes) was someone associated with the manufacturing of this item, and sent it to me for free. (I did offer to pay, but it was only a $10 item, and he insisted I didn't have to pay.)

Best of luck to you!

Sent you a pm. Thanks! I am still hoping that in the last few hours that she had left that she made an effort and will come back with the ring. Since she emailed me that she hadn't had time to get it and her husband didn't want to go out in the evenings and it was 6:30 in the evening when she emailed, I am thinking it is not a very strong likelyhood. Espcially since I don't know when their flight was leaving. It is nice to know there are some other options :)