Menu

Green gift ideas

My favorite green gift is ... money! :D

We like Heiffer International gifts (spelling, sorry, I could be off) - donating a water buffalo to a family/village in our parents' names always makes me smile!

We are making an effort this year to avoid giving clutter, so donations are good, plus consumables and experiences.

Beginning in January our city is going green and banning plastic bags from supermarkets and all retail stores. You may bring a bag from home or you may pay for a paper bag. I have been bringing my bags shopping for years so this doesn't bother me, but there are some people in my park group who have no idea it is coming, despite all the signs in stores, etc.

I believe that re-usable shopping bags are going on my list for everyone!

Amber in SJ

Last year I made everyone gift bags from gorgeous Christmas material. They are strong, beautiful, and definitely reusable.

They are most appreciated by parents of toddlers whose gifts seem to be odd-shaped, and older people who have a difficult time with fine motor skills.

I love mine just because I hate wrapping packages.:D

Ok, I'm so not in the loop for "green" things. But I'm writing another article and need suggestions. If you were going to be either receiving or giving a green gift, what would you most want? :D Thanks!

Pretty cloth napkins.

Reusable food containers made of glass or stainless steel.

Museum membership, theater tickets, restaurant gift certificate.

Public transportation tokens.

Bicycle

Upcycled clothing, accessories or household items.

Things made locally, and/or things supporting local organizations (e.g. church bazaar items)

Anything 'practical' even if not "green" in other ways -

Nice warm winter socks.

Quality food items.

A month's heating bill

Grocery gift card

I can never have too many hankies or shopping bags.

A monster sized grease trap would be great once we have our own place. I don't think the landlords would like us to fiddle around with the plumbing here. (Monster sized being an old bathtub rather than the coffee can sized grease traps we used to use at guide camps.)

Rosie