Menu

Completely frustrated with math

faiths13

my ods who is in 7th has had nothing but a hard time in math since the beginning. I have no idea what to do with him for math. What I have realized is that in school when he didnt understand something he would not ask for help so he guessed or faked his way through it. that and having some super nice teachers who would let him redo tests, etc. is how he kept getting through math every year. so now I am realizing that he needs ALOT of help in math. He hasnt memorized his multiplication facts, so everything with that in it is difficult for him. He knows how to tell time, but cant do elapsed time. He doesnt know some other basics like place value and Im sure its because he just spaced out at math time every day in school. Working with him for math is beyond frustrating. I have no idea where to put him in math or what to curric to pick. It seems like he needs to review or work on one thing for quite awhile for it to stick. We were in K12 so I did math placement test for him and that has given me an idea of where he is weak and where he is strong. But there are just huge gaps - like I said bad at multiplication but good at fractions. So any suggestions?

I second the idea of the topical books from Math Mammoth. They're cheap. And they're very good--incremental, thorough, conceptual, and with a strong dose of mathematical reasoning and mental math.

In addition, I'd have some manipulatives available. He may or may not be willing to use them himself, but you can always model questions with them. That will help with his conceptual understanding.

I'd also sign him up for xtramath.org. It's very simply laid out, so there's nothing babyish about it, but it will take him through mastery of each of the operations one at a time. If he proves he can master the addition facts quickly, it will move him on to subtraction, then multiplication, then division. I'm using it right now with a grade 6 student I have, and I'm very pleased at how he's progressing. I do spend time going over facts with him in other ways so that he can get on xtramath and do as well as possible. For example, for 9 + 5 (or any 9's) I teach him to mentally move one from the 5 over to the 9 to "make a ten". Then he can see he has a 10 and a 4, which is 14... the point is to do it without counting so that it's very quick. Similarly, for multiplication, I'll teach him the memory/conceptual tricks for one table at a time.

ALEKS is a computer based program that will assess what he already knows then present material in a manner that he is ready to learn. I have been using a free trial with ds just for the fun of it. He loves it, but I don't have the $20 a month extra now since math is his best subject. If he were having any gaps or problems, it would be the first thing I would try.

I second the idea of the topical books from Math Mammoth. They're cheap. And they're very good--incremental, thorough, conceptual, and with a strong dose of mathematical reasoning and mental math.

In addition, I'd have some manipulatives available. He may or may not be willing to use them himself, but you can always model questions with them. That will help with his conceptual understanding.

I'd also sign him up for xtramath.org. It's very simply laid out, so there's nothing babyish about it, but it will take him through mastery of each of the operations one at a time. If he proves he can master the addition facts quickly, it will move him on to subtraction, then multiplication, then division. I'm using it right now with a grade 6 student I have, and I'm very pleased at how he's progressing. I do spend time going over facts with him in other ways so that he can get on xtramath and do as well as possible. For example, for 9 + 5 (or any 9's) I teach him to mentally move one from the 5 over to the 9 to "make a ten". Then he can see he has a 10 and a 4, which is 14... the point is to do it without counting so that it's very quick. Similarly, for multiplication, I'll teach him the memory/conceptual tricks for one table at a time.

thanks! i was thinking about doing the mammoth math workbooks, but wasnt sure it would be enough. i will look into the other site as well. I have never used math manipulatives...how do they work?

we did aleks last year and both my sons hated it. and my ods didnt learn from that either.

The topical books from Math Mammoth are very good.

You could also try Khan Academy, a free online resource at KhanAcademy.org. You can pick and choose your topics, access an endless supply of problems to work as well as very, very well-done video explanations of each topic, which can even be accessed from inside a problem set. The student can even ask for a hint while doing a problem, if necessary (though their goal is to get 10 correct in a row; reviewing a video does NOT reset that counter, but asking for a hint DOES reset the counter!).

Khan and MM are both very nice resources for filling in specific gaps.

Mathusee curriculum covers place value very well. It's also good for remediation because the levels tackle one area at a time. You can buy the old version of the curriculum on VHS tape on eBay for next to nothing. I just sent a copy to my sol I found for $10. That plus the manipulatives should give him a good foundation and build confidence. Because the instruction is on the tape (or DVD if you buy the new versions) you and your son can watch together.

You could also try Khan Academy, a free online resource at KhanAcademy.org. You can pick and choose your topics, access an endless supply of problems to work as well as very, very well-done video explanations of each topic, which can even be accessed from inside a problem set. The student can even ask for a hint while doing a problem, if necessary (though their goal is to get 10 correct in a row; reviewing a video does NOT reset that counter, but asking for a hint DOES reset the counter!).

:iagree:

my kids love khan!!

robin

thanks! i was thinking about doing the mammoth math workbooks, but wasnt sure it would be enough. i will look into the other site as well. I have never used math manipulatives...how do they work?

we did aleks last year and both my sons hated it. and my ods didnt learn from that either.

I think for his age and level, I would consider getting a set of fraction manipulatives (could be fraction strips, fraction pies/circles, fraction overlays), a set of base 10 blocks, and some cheap geometric solids (I got some in foam).

I wouldn't say they're absolutely necessary in grade 7, but they really can help make math concepts "real" to kids. So, as an example, if you're doing mental math and the problem asks to add 200 to 398, you can model the 398 with hundreds flats, tens, and units, and then simply put two more hundreds flats with the others. It allows them to see numbers and operations more concretely, rather than habitually falling into an algorithm. Also, it reinforces place value concepts.

It depends on where his understanding is at. But if you say he struggles with place value, it might be good to start playing with place value in a concrete way, and go from there. Right now my dd is working on mental math in the hundred thousands. If she's having trouble on a question, it can help to remind her of things like, "You have 432 thousand-cubes. How would the number change if you added ten more of those thousand-cubes?" Then she can visualize it.

The geometric solids are a set of 3D objects like rectangular prisms, cones, triangular prisms, spheres, and cylinders. When it comes time to learn about volume and surface area of 3D shapes, I find it MUCH easier to explain--and for the kid to understand--if we're physically holding the shape in our hands rather than looking at a 2D representation of a 3D shape on paper. This is partly because perspective issues make it seem distorted on paper. You need to be able to see the right angles, feel the matching bases on a prism, note which faces are the same... It makes learning formulas into something that's based on reality rather than something that's memorized without understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carolyntyler

I am a mom of 4 boys. We have used Saxon, Lial and now as my youngest son is in pre-alg, we are using Aleks. At about 12 1/2, my youngest son didn't want my help any more (hormones). When I would check his work and answers I saw that he had just plowed through without doing the methods. Also I found that many answers in the Saxon Algebra 1/2 were wrong. The great thing about Aleks is they do it on he computer. They cannot progress until they get it right. They have an invisible person monitoring and the blackboard teaches and reteaches until they understand.

-Hope this helps- Carolyn

How about the topical series from math mammoth? Just get the ones that cover what he doesn't know. Plus, they don't have a grade level on them, which might be important for a seventh grader who needs some remedial work.

:iagree:

I would get a couple individual "blue" worktexts to make sure you like them (clock and multiplication 2, maybe) before you invest in the packages. I have the entire blue series and it's very useful for spot teaching. Previously we used CLE and while he did well, he lost a LOT of conceptual understanding over the summer. So now in addition to doing more of a mastery approach with specific weak areas (using MM), we're repeating what we did last year but with Saxon so he maintains his skills.

There is also a "catch up" math series authored by Liping Ma, called "Knowing Mathematics" but it only goes to 6th grade. Still that might be worth looking at.

One final suggestion is a comprehensive pre-algebra/basic math book like Lial's Basic College Math. That might be too much of a jump, though.

I would start here with arithmetic http://www.actionmathematics.com/

Establish a routine and stick with it until first book is finished. Follow the barebones framework but do not be afraid to seek other sources to explain any topics that get sticky...just do not get lost down rabbit trails..until this arithmetic book is done.

{ the age range for course is young adult to adult remedial}