Menu

AAS users, do you really use the tokens?

justLisa

I just can't do this. My kids can't stand it. Come to think of it for some reason lately we jut dread AAS. It's like it's annoying but I cannot put my finger on it. EVERYTHING else we have is teacher intensive, and I just really for some reason thought spelling would be the one thing more independent. DD is only 5.5 and not a fluent reader yet but she does like spelling and grammer. I JUST started her with GWG and WWW 1 very very slowly and it's actually helping her reading come along. I know they have a spelling curriculum too.

I know DS does not like the multi sensory method. He's more of a "give me a list and I'll study it" type with everything. The tiles are falling all over lately and it just seems like this huge episode to get through spelling.

Any suggestions? I don't mind just dumping this and switching to something else I just don't know what else

I used the tokens. It was one of the areas my DS was struggling with when it came to spelling. It improved that area for him. They haven't come again up in book 2.

Honestly, we don't use the tiles. DS prefers to write the word because it is faster. We use some of the labeling magnets in book 2. Maybe you could try that?

But if it isn't working for you, then switch to something else! ;) If you purchased it from the company, they have a money back guarantee!

We used tokens a lot when we first started level 1, mostly with my then K'er. They helped her to slow down and hear each letter sound individually, otherwise some sounds blurred together. I think they are very helpful in that situation for beginning spellers. I don't think we've used them at all in level 2. My son, who started the program in second grade, used them two or three times when we first started AAS...he didn't need them.

We rarely use the tokens. And I do a lot of adapting to make the program meet our needs. I only use the tiles when ds needs extra help spelling. Usually I just let him spell the list out loud and if he gets it we move on. I'm interested to see what level 2 will bring, we're almost there.

I really only use the tokens at the beginning of level 1. We didn't start Level 1 until dd was in 2nd grade so she didn't use them much but my 6yo used them quite a bit and I did find it a helpful method.

My kids really enjoy AAS but I dread doing it. I rarely ever bother with the tiles - partially because we have a smaller than recommended whiteboard so they are quite cramped but mostly because it just seems annoying. Dd often writes the words on the whiteboard or in her notebook and that's working for us. I'm still considering just getting through the end of level 3 and then moving to something dictation based for spelling.

Actually so far the tokens have been about the ONLY thing we use from AAS. I purchased it because my daughter is mildly dyslexic and a struggling speller. The curriculum itself I have found uninspired but the tokens we use often during dictation, writing, and impromptu unstructured lessons as a tool that has really helped build spelling skills.

They've been so great for her that I also purchased this game for her to play as well:

Chunks-Incredible-Word-Building-Game-N5046_XL.jpg

The game has been fantastic for her as well. My daughter is must be an unusually visual and kinesthetic learner. For math, the c-rods have been - not just a learning aid, but a total calculation breakthrough for her. She is a 9-yr-old who understood math concepts but would stumble and mumble when asked something as simple as 6+1. She is doing much better now, and when I ask her questions she will close her eyes and try to visualize the manipulative sometimes, whether it is spelling or math.

I still have to walk her through dictation with some more challenging words, but it is like night and day compared to before using tiles and playing games. She can now spell most simple phonetic words correctly without hesitation. Huge deal.

Edited by zenjenn

We only used the tokens a few times.

We are on level 6. We dropped parts of the program as they lost their value. At this point we don't even use the tiles because they have lost their value for us. The program as a whole is still a great fit, though.

If something isn't working I wouldn't force it. The tokens certainly aren't vital.

Any other AAS moms thinking to themselves "tokens? What tokens? :confused: Does she mean the tiles?" only to pull out the Level 1 book and realize that they never even bothered with the tokens in the first place :lol:

:lol:

There were one or two steps in the beginning that used them, but that's it, as far as I recall.

Actually so far the tokens have been about the ONLY thing we use from AAS. I purchased it because my daughter is mildly dyslexic and a struggling speller. The curriculum itself I have found uninspired but the tokens we use often during dictation, writing, and impromptu unstructured lessons as a tool that has really helped build spelling skills.

Do you mean the tiles? The tokens are just colored circles.

Ok maybe I just really need to think about how to restructure the program. I already have levels 1-4 though I have not opened 3 and 4. I feel like if I am not using basically most of it then I need something different

Are you talking about the tokens (the round discs that are referenced in one or two lessons) or the tiles?

The tokens I used once or twice, as my DDs picked up on the sounding out of words quite easily. I do, however, regularly use the tiles to introduce the lessons, practice breaking words into syllables, and for my DD4 to use to spell / learn phonics.

But I certainly don't feel like I'm missing most of the program by skipping the tokens, which is why your question above has me slightly puzzled. I wouldn't even be that bothered by skipping the tiles, as for us it's the "rules" and the phonics reinforcement that are the gold in the program.

Are you talking about the tokens (the round discs that are referenced in one or two lessons) or the tiles?

The tokens I used once or twice, as my DDs picked up on the sounding out of words quite easily. I do, however, regularly use the tiles to introduce the lessons, practice breaking words into syllables, and for my DD4 to use to spell / learn phonics.

But I certainly don't feel like I'm missing most of the program by skipping the tokens, which is why your question above has me slightly puzzled. I wouldn't even be that bothered by skipping the tiles, as for us it's the "rules" and the phonics reinforcement that are the gold in the program.

DS doesn't like the tiles. With two kids in different levels I just feel like It is taking forever and everyone is annoyed by it

The tiles are a tool of the program, but not the program itself. Could you just have the children write on the white board? That is what we do now.

The program still works without the tokens OR the tiles.

On the other hand, maybe the program is just not a good fit.

I would at least give it a try without the tokens and tiles, though.

The tiles are a tool of the program, but not the program itself. Could you just have the children write on the white board? That is what we do now.

The program still works without the tokens OR the tiles.

On the other hand, maybe the program is just not a good fit.

I would at least give it a try without the tokens and tiles, though.

I am going to spend some time this weekend and figure out a schedule for it. I'm sure I can figure out a better way to structure so it gets done than I have been doing lately but I have had such a very small amount of time for anything extra the past couple weeks.

At first everyone liked it alot. Maybe I need to reevaluate what *I* am doing. I may be rushing it if I'm thinking about it, and often I have not read through the lessons enough before hand which does not make the time run as smoothly.

Ah, I forgot about the tokens. We are now 1/2-way through AAS3. We never did use the tokens, and we used the tiles ~ 25% of the time at most in AAS1 & AAS2. We are using them almost every lesson now with AAS3 and I am glad I didn't sell them earlier. But I don't automatically use them as the book suggests. We use tiles if DD5 is tired of writing but willing to spell, and when it is a section where there are multiple ways to spell long vowel sounds, etc.