Menu

What loom for a 10yo?

I would like to get dd a loom for Christmas, as she has always enjoyed weaving potholders on a square loom. But I really don't know what I'm looking for, or what she could make with it. Any suggestions on a loom and/or a book to go with it?

We bought this one years ago, when they carried it in the Hearthsong catalog:

http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=F424

It was a lot cheaper then. :001_huh: We have used it for many projects, but not lately. Here are pros and cons:

Pros:

- It comes pre-warped, so you can get started on a project right away.

- The B size is large enough for a decent-sized children's project, but not too large. A size is too small for us.

- The rigid heddle style is a perfect setup for the beginning weaver.

- The loom is good quality.

- You can make some nice real stuff on this loom: belts, scarves, shawls, doll clothes, table runners, placemats, etc. some of our relatives still used the scarves our older children made on this loom years ago.

- It is portable.

Cons:

- You have to warp it after the first project. I found warping challenging.*

- Many folks may not like the yarn colors that come with the loom.

- This loom is not large enough for more ambitious projects, such as making fabric for clothing, tablecloths, etc.

- You are pretty much limited to medium weight yarn as your weaving material.

- You might create a fiber enthusiast. Before long, you will have requests for more yarn, a drop spindle, a spinning wheel, sheep, a room-sized loom, etc. :)

*To help with warping, I recommend:

-This book, which has excellent warping instructions for a rigid heddle loom:

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Rigid-Heddle-Weaving-Davenport/dp/0934026254/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319583287&sr=1-2

- A warping board, which is essentially a wooden frame with pegs.

That reminds me - our 9yo dd has been asking about weaving. I guess it's time to get out the loom again!

HTH,

GardenMom

I'm a weaver so this thread caught my eye. Looms come in all shapes, sizes, types, prices and levels of complexity. In general toy looms are pricey and frustrating.

For starters what do you envision her wanted to weave? Starting with the end result in mind will help narrow your choices.

For instance- does she play guitar and would she enjoy weaving straps?- then you could go with a card loom. Or is she a budding seamstress and would want to weave cloth? - then I'd guess at least a 4 harness loom.

Price range and physical space will limit it even more severely:)

If you can you might try to find a local weaving guild. Usually local weavers get extremely excited about sharing info. plus they generally know about used looms in your area that are for sale. The guild near us even has a "lending library" of small looms.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't actually thought about *what* she might want to weave, I just thought she might enjoy the act of weaving. :lol: I guess that would be a good thing to figure out. I don't want to spend a lot of money until I find out if she enjoys it or not.

Also, since *I* know nothing about weaving, will there be instructions included with the loom, or should I find a book?

You might also consider a bead loom like this one. My daughter started using such a loom at about age ten and still uses it (as a college student) to make book marks for her friends.

Regards,

Kareni

This looks fun, too! Added it to my Amazon order.

We bought this one years ago, when they carried it in the Hearthsong catalog:

http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=F424

It was a lot cheaper then. :001_huh: We have used it for many projects, but not lately. Here are pros and cons:

Pros:

- It comes pre-warped, so you can get started on a project right away.

- The B size is large enough for a decent-sized children's project, but not too large. A size is too small for us.

- The rigid heddle style is a perfect setup for the beginning weaver.

- The loom is good quality.

- You can make some nice real stuff on this loom: belts, scarves, shawls, doll clothes, table runners, placemats, etc. some of our relatives still used the scarves our older children made on this loom years ago.

- It is portable.

Cons:

- You have to warp it after the first project. I found warping challenging.*

- Many folks may not like the yarn colors that come with the loom.

- This loom is not large enough for more ambitious projects, such as making fabric for clothing, tablecloths, etc.

- You are pretty much limited to medium weight yarn as your weaving material.

- You might create a fiber enthusiast. Before long, you will have requests for more yarn, a drop spindle, a spinning wheel, sheep, a room-sized loom, etc. :)

*To help with warping, I recommend:

-This book, which has excellent warping instructions for a rigid heddle loom:

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Rigid-Heddle-Weaving-Davenport/dp/0934026254/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319583287&sr=1-2

- A warping board, which is essentially a wooden frame with pegs.

That reminds me - our 9yo dd has been asking about weaving. I guess it's time to get out the loom again!

HTH,

GardenMom

This post was very helpful. I found that Amazon carries the loom that you linked for about $50 less, so that helps a little. The book looks helpful too. Thank you!