Menu

Help my dh write a cover letter..

Possible angles for the cover letter  

1. 1. Possible angles for the cover letter

• Don't mention gap in employment
    • Explain that we moved 1000 miles for wife's job, and husband took time to reconnect with dc
    • Other

My dh's job ended about 1.5 years ago, due to funding cuts, not related to his job performance. We both looked for jobs for a while, and I found a full-time job about 1 year ago. He's been homeschooling the kids while I've been working, and he hasn't applied for any jobs for over a year.

A company is opening an office in our town, and they have listed a job in his field that looks perfect for him. He has not applied for the job because he has a "gap" in his resume, and he isn't sure how to address his unemployment in his cover letter. I've made a bunch of suggestions, but he isn't trying. I really, really would love for him to get a job, and I could go back to home schooling the dc. He would like the job, but thinks it is hopeless, and thus hasn't applied.

I'm adding a poll, but any suggestions or comments are more than welcome! Help me get back to homeschooling!

The cover letter should specifically mention how his strengths/abilities match the company's needs. Tell them what he can do for them. Don't make excuses for the time off.

He could have a statement in the resume that covers the 1.5 years--just what he was doing and accompishing in that time. Did he do any volunteer or consulting work? My dh's unemployment was covered with self-employment and some consulting (some of it was free). I know what it is like to have a discouraged dh when it comes to sending out resumes--but they won't find a job if they don't apply. (If it is any encouragement, my dh was able to "fix" his resume and get a great job--and is now very employable in his field.)

There are lots of books that give examples of cover letters and resumes that address gaps in employment. I would suggest using one of these for ideas.

Encourage him to send his resume in and see what happens. He may be happily surprised.

I would have him emphasize his strengths and availability for the job. If they ask about the gap in employment, he can explain. I think most people who are interviewing candidates are aware of the rampant un/underemployment crisis and would likely be seeing many applicants with gaps.

Don't mention the gap in the cover letter, that can be discussed at the interview. Keep the cover letter short and covering his strengths/abilities. Employers don't have time to read a novel to get to know someone, again that's what the interview is for.

Try to avoid starting every sentence with "I"...I used to hire people and it just irked me that I read "I" at the beginning of every sentence. Be more creative with wording, imo!!

I agree with most others--don't mention the gap. It can be explained later. If they are interested in him, they'll contact him. And if they are interested, they may not even care about the gap.

If it's any small bit of encouragement, my husband just went through a lay-off and was several months searching for a job. When the right position finally came along, the company that hired him didn't even mention the gap during the interview and hiring process. But in order to find this one perfect position, my husband probably sent out 100+ resumes, even for positions that were not in his current field or differed in other ways from what he had been doing. In the end, the company he was hired by didn't even have his current position advertised when he sent his resume--it just happened that the company had started with a new project and needed to hire a whole team of employees, and found his resume at the right time--so you just have to get his resume out there over and over and over again. Don't wait 'till you see the perfect position in the classifieds, and definitely don't let the fear of rejection deter him from submitting a resume to a position that does look like a good fit!

Good luck to you and your DH!

Guest submarines

I wouldn't mention the gap in employment in the cover letter, but I would mention the relocation in the interview and just be honest about the situation.

Good luck! He should definitely apply, no questions about it.

Guest submarines
He should write a non-chronological resume--that way the whole dates of service issue is avoided. They will undoubtedly ask him about this at the interview, but it should at least get him in the door. It is much easier to answer questions about that in person than to address it in the resume.

Yes, great idea!

I would have him emphasize his strengths and availability for the job. If they ask about the gap in employment, he can explain. I think most people who are interviewing candidates are aware of the rampant un/underemployment crisis and would likely be seeing many applicants with gaps.

Leave explaining the gap until he is asked.

Laura