Menu

How old was your baby before thier first outing?

How old was your baby before thier first outing?  

1. 1. How old was your baby before thier first outing?

• Less than 1 week old
    • 1-2 weeks old
    • 2-4 weeks old
    • Over a month old

You didn't have an "other" so here goes:

My older two went out within a week. My 3rd got a cold with a fever from his brother when he was 7 days old. Because of the fever, he had to be hospitalized, get a spinal tap, heavy-duty antibiotics, etc. I found out during that time that they do all that because a young baby has virtually no immune system, even if they are breastfeeding. If there is something signficant wrong with them and the docs don't treat with high-powered stuff right away, they will be dead. So some infants get overtreated. As I protested at first, my family doctor told me that before this protocol, he could personally remember some infants who had fevers, but looked otherwise fine in the office. A couple hours later, they were dead.

So, given that I had a change in info that any fever was going to earn my baby a spinal tap and that my babies did NOT have my immunities right away just because I breastfed so were pretty much immune-compromised, my fourth born did not go out until he was 4 weeks old and had at least a partially developed immune system. I wish doctors would tell more mothers this information.

So, given that I had a change in info that any fever was going to earn my baby a spinal tap and that my babies did NOT have my immunities right away just because I breastfed so were pretty much immune-compromised, my fourth born did not go out until he was 4 weeks old and had at least a partially developed immune system. I wish doctors would tell more mothers this information.

My experience is similar. I was very cavalier about taking tiny babies out until my 4th got very sick with a virus at 1 week of age. Spinal tap, hospitalized, etc. My 5th got sick (RSV) at 6 weeks or so, and we were BARELY going out ever. So yeah... I cringe when I see little ones out now, and I wish doctors would be firmer about the risks, esp. during cold/flu season. Yes, you get stir crazy, but cabin fever is better than the real thing. :(

Both of my babies were at church at a week old. In a sling. We did not stick around to socialize afterwards. With Lily we took her to a BBQ place when she was about 4 days old. We'd just had her third heel stick and needed lunch so we stopped at my favorite restaurant. She stayed in her carrier the whole time. I think that was one of the only times she was not in a sling. Anytime we went anywhere the first 6-10 weeks I had her in my Moby wrap.

DS was premature and not even home from the hospital until nearly a month old. It was an especially bad RSV winter and DS had already been so sick, we listened to doctors when they said we needed to be 'quarantined' at home for another six weeks.

I cringe when I see little ones out now, and I wish doctors would be firmer about the risks, esp. during cold/flu season. Yes, you get stir crazy, but cabin fever is better than the real thing.
:iagree:

We had already gone through a month in NICU at birth, no way was I interested in spending any more time at that hospital!

Our first big outing with our newborn was the 4th of July breakfast that my in-laws host for over 200 people in their back yard. It was our first showing off of our only child, and within minutes, a family friend (older man) whisked our son off and showed him around to everyone, leaving us blankly staring in their direction wondering how that had happened. We still laugh about it because we, of course, wanted to be the first to take ds on the rounds.