Menu

How old was your baby before thier first outing?

How old was your baby before thier first outing?  

1. 1. How old was your baby before thier first outing?

• Less than 1 week old
    • 1-2 weeks old
    • 2-4 weeks old
    • Over a month old

Aside from a couple of doctor's appointments, he was about 3 weeks old. (DH was doing the grocery shopping.) Frankly, *I* was too tired to want to leave the house, and I finally started to come out of the fog when he was 3 weeks old. If I hadn't been so tired from lack of sleep, I probably would have gone out sooner.

My firstborn was at Target at 3 days -- he was 5 weeks early, we had no diapers, etc. yet, the hospital made him take a bottle, then didn't send me home with a breast pump and dh was not confident about what we needed.

My second was a couple of weeks old. I had a 13 mo old, too, and even with my mom helping, it was too much to get out right away.

My third ... dh took a job 1000 miles away 2 weeks before he was born. I had to get the house on the market, so had to go to Home Depot, etc. for that, then we had to be out of the house for showings. Dh moved when he was 6 weeks old, so we ate out a lot, and spent a lot of time running the toddlers at McD's, etc. Thankfully, he LOVED the sling.

My fourth was over a month old. She was born in the middle of winter, in a bad cold/flu year. Our playgroup started coming to our house once a week when she was 2 weeks old, but it may have been 7 or 8 weeks before we left the house. 12 weeks of bedrest, followed by a c-section had taken its toll on me.

With dd9, it was the day after we got out of the hospital. I had such a miserable pregnancy and felt like I could run a marathon after she was finally out of my body. I was ready to move.

With dd7, I don't really remember but she had her first cast put on her leg for her clubfoot when she was 10 days old so it was at least before then.

After my first delivery I felt totally physically drained, so it was 2 weeks before I ventured out. My 2nd and 3rd deliveries, I bounced back WAAAAAY faster. With one of my younger babies (can't remember which, LOL!), we all went out to eat with my parents on the way home from the hospital.

I'd be more wary of indoor places than outdoor places, and I'd try to avoid places where strangers might have the urge to lean close, talk/breathe on them, or possibly touch them. It's now RSV season in many parts of the country.

I'm sure I was taking my first for walks within a couple weeks. My second and third were premies, and went nowhere but the dr for months (I had help then; that would be impractical for many people). I don't remember what I did with the rest, but I do tend to stick close to home for nursing and napping reasons (I was not particularly adept at nursing in public).

My premies did not get the shots for RSV the second winter. At 12 months, they got RSV. One was fine, but the other ended up in the hospital on oxygen for a bit.

Ds was born 3.5 weeks early. We had no clothes that would fit him. I was still in the hospital, so he went shopping with my mom and dh before he even went home from the hospital. I like to tease him that he's been shopping with mama since literally day 1, he adores her, we still shop together. :lol:

We took him halfway across the country at 3 weeks old.

Let's see...

1st-?

2-went to mall on way home from hospital then cousins home.

3- couple of days

4-went to Target on way home because we were having people over for July 4.

5-went straight to soccer game once discharged from hospital

6-due to c-section it was a week

All my kids were born on Friday and left hospital on Sunday. All but last was vaginal delivery.

My oldest was moving across the country at one week old, courtesy of the USAF. He had no problems at all. Probably only my youngest wasn't out that early- she got an infection in the hospital and was sick already at the two day visit. I probably didn't take her out for at least five days because of that.

All of mine were less than a week old.

DS#1 we went out for dinner on the way home from the hospital, when the waitress asked how old he was DH said "28 hours" we got a free bottle of barbecue sauce because he was the youngest patron that manager had ever known. LOL We also went to the outlet mall near Seattle because we hadn't bought nearly enough newborn clothing (he was smaller than expected)

DD- was born the Monday before thanksgiving and we had to move from one base house to another by the following Monday, so lots of moving and outside time for her.

DS#2 was born and again we stopped to eat on the way home from the hospital, he was 32 hours old. I also ran out to walmart with him the next day because he was so short and only fit in premie size clothes.

With our first, we went out shopping a couple of times his first week. I think we went to Trader Joe's about four days after he was born. That was a mistake. I was soooooo exhausted after.

With DD I broke my tailbone during labor, and I was pretty incapacitated after birth. Aside from doctor's appointments and walks around the neighborhood, I don't think she was out much the first month.

With our third, I think we went grocery shopping with all the kids when he was about 2-1/2 weeks old. Before that, he'd gone out in the yard and out for walks, but not on an outing.

With our second, we went out when she was maybe a week or so, despite the fact that it was December in the midwest, so we could cut our Christmas tree at a local u-cut farm. We have photos of me carrying her in the sling. I remember we cut a tree *very* close to the parking lot and headed straight for the hot apple cider in the gift shop.

Erica in OR

Less than 24 hours for DD. We had a home birth, and I was in the house for 2 days in labor, so I was ready to get out. We went to the grocery store. In the checkout, we saw a woman from our church who just about passed out when she asked how old dd was and we told her. DS, we went to my parents house for Easter (he was born Thursday night).

My pediatrician told us 3 months. He said their immune systems are so new and there's no reason to be taking them out in public any earlier than that. I didn't complain about that recommendation, since I was too tired anyway to want to go anywhere.

ETA: this was not counting any visits with the doc, of course.

I've had all of mine out by about a week, or less. With this most recent baby, we took all of the munchkins out when DS3 was 5 days old, to get some ice cream and run an errand or two. My first solo outing (me plus all four children but no DH) was when the baby was 6 days old; the older children wanted to show off their baby at the library. :)

(I have had easy births and have been at home the day of the birth each time, so I suspect that helps -- not much to recover from, and I do get a fair amount of rest. But I do tend to have DH carry the baby if we're standing for very long on that first outing, and I definitely don't do anything else that day, like cooking or laundry.)

I guess I answered with my youngest but we had a 7 day NICU stay so we didn't even get home until she was a week old. Other than her dr visit we went to a homeschool thing when she was 3 weeks old. I got up and running pretty fast with her because I'd been on bedrest for 8 weeks. I almost lost my mind!

Dd was 6 days when we went to the mall. The (homebirth) midwife was in favour of a week at home before mama ventured out, but I was suffering from serious cabin fever within a few days, and so off we went. Ds was in hospital for the first 5 days. I think he went with to dd's dance class the day we came home, or perhaps the next day - Day 6? Then he went to dd's school as show-and-tell material on Day 10!

I clicked less than 1 week but should have clicked 1-2 weeks, since we were in the hospital for his 1st week due to some unspecified infection. We went out for pizza w/his grandparents and great-grandpa a few days after that. We went on other outings but were careful to keep him away from contact with other people. Based on our ped's recommendation, we didn't take him to church for 2 months as it was cold/flu season and we knew that everyone would want to get close, touch him, etc. and dh didn't want to have to be the "bad guy." We posted lots of pictures online and let healthy people come to visit in our home.