Menu

Disney Question

Next week I'm going to Disneyworld with my db and his family along with my parents. My dad is definitely not a Disney fan and it actually shocks me that he's agreed to go. He will be turning 70 while we are there and we would like to do something for him but I have no idea what. He's of German heritage and loves German food/beverage, so we were thinking of going to the Biergarten in Epcot to eat (if I can even get reservations on such short notice), but I would like to do more for him. Any ideas for a non-Disney person? If it makes any difference, we will all be adults except for a 2yo.

Thanks.

Well, I would try for reservations at the Biergarten, make sure you let them know you'll be celebrating his birthday, and maybe order a cake? They have all kinds of gorgeous cakes that you can order and have delivered all over the "World". :)

Does he like putt-putt golf? Maybe you could go play a round or two? Maybe you could arrange for him to go horseback riding, or para-sailing, or some other activity he enjoys while there?

Maybe you could linger in "Germany" and purchase him a stein? I love love Epcot and Biergarten was one of my favorite places to eat. I will never forget our whole family getting up and running to the center floor to do the chicken dance! You could also look into the different fireworks cruises to celebrate his special day.

ETA: We hadn't even planned on eating there but the August hurricane messed up our return flights. We got a ressie the day before. Also, check out http://www.disboards.com. Go to the dining thread and look for dining cancellations. People will post what they've cancelled for any given month so you can hop onto the disney site and snag it!

Edited by southernm

My dh did not enjoy Disney when we were there this past April. He did, however, enjoy Epcot. I would definitely try to eat in Germany (the dc and I ate their when I took them to DW in '09).

I would spend most of my time with him there, visiting the various countries, sampling food and different drinks.

My in-laws went with us last month and are NOT amusement park people. They didn't go to all the parks with us, but went to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. I'm not sure that they really enjoyed Hollywood Studios that much, but I think they really enjoyed Animal Kingdom. My MIL said the Lion King show was her favorite thing we did, and I really think she enjoyed it a lot. It's probably the least "Disney" of the parks and lots of interesting things to look at.

Typically, Germany always has openings. Make sure he gets a birthday button from guest services. In some of the restaurants, they will give him a cupcake.

What about getting a Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream? It is a giant sundae that will feed about 8 people. Also, you can order a cake from the Boardwalk bakery. Delicious cakes and not bad price wise. They need 48-72 hours notice. You could pick it up and take it back to where you are staying.

BTW- My kids loved that the birthday button got them kisses from all the princesses.

My in-laws went with us last month and are NOT amusement park people. They didn't go to all the parks with us, but went to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. I'm not sure that they really enjoyed Hollywood Studios that much, but I think they really enjoyed Animal Kingdom. My MIL said the Lion King show was her favorite thing we did, and I really think she enjoyed it a lot. It's probably the least "Disney" of the parks and lots of interesting things to look at.

I second this idea. I know my parents would love Animal Kingdom.

Next week I'm going to Disneyworld with my db and his family along with my parents. My dad is definitely not a Disney fan and it actually shocks me that he's agreed to go. He will be turning 70 while we are there and we would like to do something for him but I have no idea what. He's of German heritage and loves German food/beverage, so we were thinking of going to the Biergarten in Epcot to eat (if I can even get reservations on such short notice), but I would like to do more for him. Any ideas for a non-Disney person? If it makes any difference, we will all be adults except for a 2yo.

Thanks.

Just chiming in w/the rest to say my in-laws went to Epcot recently and had a fabulous time. I hope your dad will have a wonderful birthday!

I never heard of the birthday-button thing till this thread -- good to know!

Thanks for the ideas. I did get reservation for Biergarten - I only had a choice between 4:25 and 8:25 though. We will be sure to get the birthday button too. I looked into the cakes, but since we'll have a rental car, we might save some money and go get one at the store to have in our rooms. I'm going to share the suggestions with my db to see what else he might want to do for our dad. Thanks!

World Showcase in Epcot is a lot of fun, and most people who don't enjoy traditional amusement park things will enjoy this.

DownTown Disney might also be someplace they would enjoy strolling through. Get a sundae at Ghiradelli's if you do go.

Also, while you're in "Germany" stop in at Karamel Kuche or whatever the name of the bakery is there. The treats are AMAZING!!

Have a wonderful time!!