Menu

Advice on 1st Grade spelling for three...AAS?

Caroline222

I'm using a "word list Monday, test Friday" workbook with my three first graders and I want to switch to something else.

I looked into AAS and like the idea of teaching spelling rules, but 20 minutes a day for spelling (which will likely turn into 30 minutes) and the thought of having little letter tiles that may get scattered far and wide are making me nervous. Will AAS work for teaching three at once? Advice?

Are these three children likely to stay together as far as level? You might find it easier to use SWR, which is easier to teach to multiple levels. Then use the AAS manipulatives just as you wish. What might be more fun is to make them yourself and make them a bit bigger. That way you could have one large whiteboard in front of the four of you and work together.

I'm using a "word list Monday, test Friday" workbook with my three first graders and I want to switch to something else.

I looked into AAS and like the idea of teaching spelling rules, but 20 minutes a day for spelling (which will likely turn into 30 minutes) and the thought of having little letter tiles that may get scattered far and wide are making me nervous. Will AAS work for teaching three at once? Advice?

I am currently using this with a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th. The 4th and 5th I teach together.

So far we don't have tiles getting lost. I have one set of tiles and they stay on my whiteboard (the one I use for everything else as well).

I set a timer for 15 minutes. Once it goes off we're done. We pick-up where we left off the next day.

The children don't use the tiles all that much but when they do they come up to the board (it's on the wall) and use them. I only have them use the tiles for a few words, then start writing the words in their notebook. I actuallly use the tiles more than they do because I use them to teach the lesson.

I purchased two student packs total. Since my 1st grader just started and usually takes a few days or more for one step, I'm using the cards with my 4th and 5th graders who are almost done with level 1 (two more steps to go), then all the cards will go back to my 1st grader :tongue_smilie:

With teaching 3 at once, that depends on how fast one learns. My two boys who are in 4th and 5th grade I teach almost every subject except math together.

HTH some,

Linda<><

We just started All About Spelling, so this is information from a new user.

I really like it and it is only taking about 10 minutes a day so far. There are 23 or 24 lessons in Level 1, and each lesson can easily be broken down to take more than one day. It incorporates phonics into the program so I see it as good for setting a foundation for sounding out longer and longer words in advanced reading, as well as covering spelling.

We like it, and I have been pleased with how short it is so far.

So far we don't have tiles getting lost. I have one set of tiles and they stay on my whiteboard (the one I use for everything else as well).

I set a timer for 15 minutes. Once it goes off we're done. We pick-up where we left off the next day.

The children don't use the tiles all that much but when they do they come up to the board (it's on the wall) and use them. I only have them use the tiles for a few words, then start writing the words in their notebook. I actuallly use the tiles more than they do because I use them to teach the lesson.

This is great for me, because my "school room" is set up the same way, with the single white board on the wall that I use for most things. I really appreciate your view, thank you.

This is great for me, because my "school room" is set up the same way, with the single white board on the wall that I use for most things. I really appreciate your view, thank you.

The first time I used AAS four or five years ago with my two oldest, I purchased a set of tiles for both children. They would use the tiles, setting them up everyday and so forth and that took forever. I didn't set a timer ane we were taking 20-30 to do a spelling lesson. I had two toddlers, and other little ones. I still remember us sitting at the table next to the window:001_smile:.I finally just gave up on AAS. I didn't like it and my two oldest were bored(because we took so long with the lesson). I sold it and thought I'd never look back:lol:

Now here I am using it again with my four younger students. I have one set of tiles, I set the timer, and we stop. I'm amazed that a few little changes can make a difference.

I don't have toddlers anymore either though;) They are now 7 and 8 years old now. I know after having six babies in six years I was exhausted and felt as if I was still recovering from having Lance.

I think the biggest change was me. I no longer feel rushed. For some reason I always had this rushed feeling with everything. I think because Josh was my oldest and was a struggling reader, I was still new to homeschooling (my oldest was 8) and very insecure as well.

Anyway, that's my story :tongue_smilie:. SWR is also great. In fact I have the book and it really opened my eyes to the English language. With SWR it's all there and you can see where AAS or PR is going. Only difference is SWR doesn't use the a few sounds that AAS does. I think it's the long e for the letter 'y' and I could be wrong with this one but I believe it's the letter o. AAS adds a fourth sound (someone correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have my SWR book with me)