Menu

Talk about Math with me

monkeymama07

First, I would only do a math program with a 4yo if the child was asking for it. I have a 3.5yo that can do all that stuff, but there is no way I am trying to do a formal curriculum with him.

I am doing CSMP with my older. It has a lot of great activities for little ones in the K level. And it is free!

We love RightStart Math! I can't speak to starting it with a four year old, but we started RS B when my son was in 1st grade, and we both love it!

Writing is tough for him and he's a wiggly willie, so RightStart is perfect: very few worksheets and loads of hands-on stuff to manipulate. Also, the games make sure he learns his math facts without having to sit and drill/memorize--not big on his list of fun activities. He's too busy trying to beat me to notice that he's learning his adding-to-10 facts or how to read a clock.

So that's my rah-rah for RightStart. It's fun and he is definitely retaining what he has learned--even retained it over the summer when we hardly did math at all.

Best of luck!

christina

First, I would only do a math program with a 4yo if the child was asking for it. I have a 3.5yo that can do all that stuff, but there is no way I am trying to do a formal curriculum with him.

:iagree: If he's clambering to do math, sure, go ahead. If he doesn't care, just wait a while. Teaching 4 year olds is a bit like herding cats sometimes. :tongue_smilie: He won't stop figuring out math if you're not using a curriculum. ;)

Playing with C-rods is awesome for 4 year olds. I haven't used the actual Miquon books (I have them, but haven't figured them out). Just let him play with the rods and build stuff with them. You'd be surprised at how well they pick up on the whole/parts stuff. My 4 year old (about to turn 5) does Singapore Essential Math K, and we use the C-rods with it. I've been happy with the program. While book A seemed easy, I was surprised to see that there was more than one possible answer even with the easy stuff. :) My 4 year old sometimes picked what seemed to be odd things, then he'd explain his answer (as the book encourages you to have them do), and sure enough, he had a valid answer!

For a 4yo, I'd get Cuisenaire Rods and the Idea Book. Work through it, whatever my kid was interested in, OR just let him play with rods on or off a tray with a 1cm grid. More about the grid tray here.

I would wait to start Miquon, but you could have the orange and red books around just in case your child wants something to write in. You don't mention how his handwriting is, but that's sometimes an obstacle to kids who KNOW math but can't legibly write down what they know yet. That's why rods are ideal.

I am doing right start with my 4 year old, she loves it. So far, it is just like a structured playtime. The thing I like about right start A is that there is not much writing. We have yet to come across any writing at all. We only do it when she asks to do school. The more we do, the more often she asks to do school. As long as you keep it light, and put it away if it ever becomes anything other than fun, (which has yet to happen here) you should be good to go.

my sons writing is next to nonexistent he will TRY and write his name but he is just not ready to write yet and I dont push it just lots of prehand writing going on here with thought of adding HWOT in 6 months to a year depending...

If I get a math program and he isnt ready well just shelve it and use the manipulatives until he is ready .....

but maybe just some choice manipulatives is the way to go for this year ?

What type of things should we be talking about when we use them?

up until now we have been counting and grouping things(beads, beans, crayons, whatever we have) but I feel like we know these things but dont know what is next?

like do I teach him addition next he knows if we take two piles and put them together you count them again to get a new total but he doesnt know that 2+2=4 ya know?

I would use Moebius Noodles:

http://moebiusnoodles.posterous.com/#!/

It's not a curriculum, but a series of guided activities to explore math concepts. They are developing a book, forum, and resource gallery, but I haven't heard what the address will be. For now the discussion board linked above is the best place I know to find ideas.

I started my dd on Miquon at 4 and she did wonderfully with it. I can't speak highly enough about it. I blogged about some of the amazing results we have had together. You can see pictures of Miquon in use.

Really though- I can't speak highly enough about it. HIGHLY recommend!

up until now we have been counting and grouping things(beads, beans, crayons, whatever we have) but I feel like we know these things but dont know what is next?

like do I teach him addition next he knows if we take two piles and put them together you count them again to get a new total but he doesnt know that 2+2=4 ya know?

I like Games for Math by Peggy Kaye.

MEP Reception (it's free, aimed at british 4yos) - http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

Cuisenaire Activity and Exploration Book for pre-Miquon Kids by Miranda Hughes (also free) - http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

And maybe just stand-alone freestanding stuff (most of which would be good for years)

Keva Planks

Cuisinaire Rods (tubfull)

Montessori Beads (1k)

Small Colored Shape Blocks

Large Tan Shape Blocks

Cardboard Blocks (giant)

Lacing Beads

Plastic Straws and connectors

Royal Rescue Game

Tangram set and patterns

Pattern Blocks

Duplos / Mega Blocks / Legos

Volumetric Geometric Solids

CM/G & IN Colored Blocks

Balance & weights / small objects

Abacus (Melissa and Doug type)

Montessori Pink & Brown Towers

Kitchen Measuring Implements and tubs of water/sand

Edited by junepep

I have a "mathy" 4 year old. I do a lot of hands on things with him. Pattern blocks, attribute blocks, homemade Montessori materials, (number rods and spindle counting sticks), lots of math type games (dominoes are a hit), we play with poker chips in endless ways, we use those little colored bear family pieces.

he has a few Kumon books --My Book of Numbers and My Book of Number Games. We do Family Math games. He practices forming the numbers (and letters) with various tools---wipe off markers, crayons, pencils, in playdoh, etc.

At 4 and even 5, I personally keep kids doing a lot of hands on stuff. If your kid is saying "2 things and 2 things make 4 things"---then he is adding kwim? I personally don't believe that there needs to be a rush to bring in the abstract numerals or symbols at that age. Especially not until a child can write them with ease. My 4 year old can do multiplication. He'll count like this "2 and 4 and 6 and 8" but I'm not going to have him learn his multiplication facts because of it.

my sons writing is next to nonexistent he will TRY and write his name but he is just not ready to write yet and I dont push it just lots of prehand writing going on here with thought of adding HWOT in 6 months to a year depending...

If I get a math program and he isnt ready well just shelve it and use the manipulatives until he is ready .....

but maybe just some choice manipulatives is the way to go for this year ?

We started with RightStart A with a 4 y.o. who was not writing much. We also really love our set of 155 Cuisenaire rods. I have the Miquon books (First Grade Diary and Lab Sheet Annotations, plus two of the Lab sheet books) and we use those, although not as much.

We chose RightStart for now because I felt I needed the teacher support ... I don't make myself a slave to the script necessarily. But I do like the help. But if that is too intense right now, a set of rods and the Activity book linked earlier is nice.