Menu

I am starting to think about spending the $$ for a smart phone

Dh is not all that thrilled (but he already HAS one!) :glare: His work pays for most of it.

Sprint finally has the iPhone available. I want it. I have wanted one for a VERY long time.

Do I NEED one? Nope!

I have a very basic and cheap plan right now.....talk only.

If I get the Family plan with Sprint I could get two smart phones with full plans for $115 plus tax with our discount.

Is there a better deal out there?

Dawn

Not for an iPhone that I know of.

If you go with something like the G2 Android phone on T-Mobile you can have two Android phones with unlimited talk, text and internet for $99.98 plus tax. (Internet is unlimited, but speed is reduced after 2 GB. I think Sprint charges for additional MB above 2 GB.)

I like Android for phones since I can turn it into a wireless hotspot whenever and wherever I am. I can then access the internet from the iPad anywhere I want. It's the best of both worlds.

One other nice thing about this plan from T-Mobile is that we have been able to add three more phones with 500 minutes each (unlimited to T-Mobile) and unlimited text and internet for $15/mo. each! Unbelievable for smart phone plans!!

I just switched to this from a different T-Mobile plan and we are saving $80.00/month.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

No, Sprint is unlimited MB per month.

Does the iPhone not have the capability of being a hotspot?

Dawn

Not for an iPhone that I know of.

If you go with something like the G2 Android phone on T-Mobile you can have two Android phones with unlimited talk, text and internet for $99.98 plus tax. (Internet is unlimited, but speed is reduced after 2 GB. I think Sprint charges for additional MB above 2 GB.)

I like Android for phones since I can turn it into a wireless hotspot whenever and wherever I am. I can then access the internet from the iPad anywhere I want. It's the best of both worlds.

One other nice thing about this plan from T-Mobile is that we have been able to add three more phones with 500 minutes each (unlimited to T-Mobile) and unlimited text and internet for $15/mo. each! Unbelievable for smart phone plans!!

I just switched to this from a different T-Mobile plan and we are saving $80.00/month.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

If I get the Family plan with Sprint I could get two smart phones with full plans for $115 plus tax with our discount.Dawn

We have the Family Everything Data plan with Sprint. We love Sprint. We've never had an issue with connection whether at home in Georgia or at the inlaws in Wisconsin. The first 2 phones on that plan are included and then the next 3 lines can be added for $20 per month. We have 4 phones on our plan.

DH gets a discount with Sprint through his work which makes it nice, but we have added on insurance with each phone which has taken the monthly charge up. But we've used that insurance at least 3 times so it's well worth the money.

Can your DH just add an extra phone to his plan? Or is his phone registered on the company's account? My DH gets reimbursed so we can have our plan with anyone. We get the same deal with our internet since it's required for work.

I paid $$$$ for 2 years for an iPhone with AT&T. When my contract expired, I looked into cheaper carriers/plans but the major carriers are very similar.

I bought a Motorola Triumph (droid phone) on the Virgin Mobile prepaid network. They retail for $300 but I found a deal for $180. I got on the 300 min/unlimited text & data plan for $25 (it was showing on the website for $35, but a couple of months ago you could still look at more plans on the website & find the same thing for $25 - I don't know if you still can). I am saving $45/mo versus AT&T and I get more texting & data! (phone minutes were never a problem - I rarely *talk* on my phone!). So my new phone will be paid for in savings in the next 6 weeks.

I found it hard to switch from iPhone to droid. But since you've never had one - you won't have to worry about switching! And you will be $1000 or so richer at the end of a 2-year contract. I'd really consider a smart phone on a prepaid network if money is at all a consideration.

I WISH he could just get reimbursed.

It is a separate account. He has to order through them and then the phone goes to their headquarters in NJ to get some sort of special top security stuff done to it, and THEN it comes to us.

So, he can't add anyone and can't get reimbursed. That would make it a no-brainer for me.

But we have to pay for our own plan. We currently have 3 phones on our plan. I have one, kids share one and my dad is on our plan.

Dh is a 4th phone and a separate plan.

Dawn

We have the Family Everything Data plan with Sprint. We love Sprint. We've never had an issue with connection whether at home in Georgia or at the inlaws in Wisconsin. The first 2 phones on that plan are included and then the next 3 lines can be added for $20 per month. We have 4 phones on our plan.

DH gets a discount with Sprint through his work which makes it nice, but we have added on insurance with each phone which has taken the monthly charge up. But we've used that insurance at least 3 times so it's well worth the money.

Can your DH just add an extra phone to his plan? Or is his phone registered on the company's account? My DH gets reimbursed so we can have our plan with anyone. We get the same deal with our internet since it's required for work.

True about the cost savings, but I DO know the difference. I have played with several of my friend's phones and really they are not the same. I really want the iPhone.

And I would not be $1000 richer. We would still need to keep our $45/mo plan with Sprint for the family plan.

So, I would pay $35/mo plus $45/mo for $80/mo vs. $125 with tax.....so only a $40-$45 savings per month.

Dawn

I paid $$$$ for 2 years for an iPhone with AT&T. When my contract expired, I looked into cheaper carriers/plans but the major carriers are very similar.

I bought a Motorola Triumph (droid phone) on the Virgin Mobile prepaid network. They retail for $300 but I found a deal for $180. I got on the 300 min/unlimited text & data plan for $25 (it was showing on the website for $35, but a couple of months ago you could still look at more plans on the website & find the same thing for $25 - I don't know if you still can). I am saving $45/mo versus AT&T and I get more texting & data! (phone minutes were never a problem - I rarely *talk* on my phone!). So my new phone will be paid for in savings in the next 6 weeks.

I found it hard to switch from iPhone to droid. But since you've never had one - you won't have to worry about switching! And you will be $1000 or so richer at the end of a 2-year contract. I'd really consider a smart phone on a prepaid network if money is at all a consideration.

:iagree: I currently have and iPhone on ATT and will be switching to Virgin Mobile when my contract is up. My dd has had VM for the past year as it was cheaper than adding a line to my plan and it's been great.

So what will the cost difference be? Do you have a family plan with ATT?

I am still not seeing concrete numbers and I find the ATT website difficult to even figure out a plan.

Dawn

:iagree: I currently have and iPhone on ATT and will be switching to Virgin Mobile when my contract is up. My dd has had VM for the past year as it was cheaper than adding a line to my plan and it's been great.

And I would not be $1000 richer. We would still need to keep our $45/mo plan with Sprint for the family plan.

So, I would pay $35/mo plus $45/mo for $80/mo vs. $125 with tax.....so only a $40-$45 savings per month.

Dawn

I understand if you want the iPhone. But saving $40-$45/month for 2 years DOES come to $1000. ($960-$1080)

Oh, I thought you said 1 year.

Yeah, in 2 years I would be.

Although, knowing me, I would find other ways to spend it! :D

Dawn

I understand if you want the iPhone. But saving $40-$45/month for 2 years DOES come to $1000. ($960-$1080)

We have Sprint. I got an iPhone Friday. :) LOVE it!

Which plan are you looking at? You will have to get a data package and will also have a $10/line per month premium data charge for each smartphone.

You will be offered a different insurance coverage for the iPhone. It is different and has more coverage than the AppleCare plan. The charge is $100 for two years and it replaces the $8/mo Sprint insurance fee.

Here's how I made it work so that I could get the $99 price on the phone.

We have the Everything Family Data. Dh and I both had the EVO. I bought the iPhone as a new device/line and it was the $99 price. I was going to just do an upgrade but we weren't eligible for that (I've had my EVO almost a year). Then after I made the purchase they swapped numbers on the phones. So the new line # went to the EVO and my # is on the iPhone.

Our Everything Family Data charge stayed the same, $129/mo. The only change in charges was adding a line ($20 for the additional line + $10 premium data) which we were needing to do anyway so dd would have a phone.

I just went through the configurator on Sprint's website and it looks like they would want $269.96/mo. for what I get from T-Mobile for $99.98/mo. As mentioned, I only spend $144.95/mo. for plans for FIVE smartphones with unlimited data.

I think I'll stick with T-Mobile. :tongue_smilie:

So what will the cost difference be? Do you have a family plan with ATT?

I am still not seeing concrete numbers and I find the ATT website difficult to even figure out a plan.

Dawn

I don't have the family plan because it's never made sense to for us. I don't have the latest numbers but when I went to check a year or two ago, it was no cheaper to have the family plan with 2 iPhones than it was to have 2 separate accounts. That would have made it $150 for 2 iPhones with 450 rollover minutes and unlimited data. I don't believe that included any texts but it might have included them on just one phone. I pay $75/month for just one. I pay $25/month for my dd to have 300 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data on Virgin Mobile. It does appear they've increased it to $35, but that's still a bargain.

Ooh! Good info! Thanks!

We have two iPhones through Verizon. I get a 20% teacher discount. When all is said and done our bill for the iPhones is about $170 (including taxes). We also have our home phone through them so the whole bill comes to about $185. It pricey, but I wouldnt trade my iPhone for the world. I have had a Droid, and to me there is no comparison.

No, Sprint is unlimited MB per month.

Does the iPhone not have the capability of being a hotspot?

Dawn

I just wanted to give you a heads up that Sprint just changed their hotspot to limited GB per month (5). I was running our house internet off of my phone for $30 a month until it just stopped. My mother, who owns the plan (bless her!), failed to tell me that it was capped at the beginning of this month. The internet on the phone is still unlimited, though, so you can still run Netflix or whatever else you want without worry.

I have an Evo and am very happy with it. I was watching a Khan Academy chemistry video at the park while waiting on my son and thinking about how great it was that I could do it. Smart phones are great (although I can't stand the name...:tongue_smilie: :D).