Menu

Hosting Thanksgiving dinner and wondering.....

All your cubed bread, if you make your own stuffing/dressing.

:iagree:

I also regularly freeze my homemade dough for rolls.

I've never tried freezing cranberry sauce but my recipe does seem to only get better with age so you can probably make that 2-3 days in advance.

Also, even for stuff you can't freeze, you can prepare. For example, you can measure out spices and put them in baggies to be ready when needed.

I prepare all my stuffing, casseroles, and pies the day before so they're ready to pop in the oven on Thanksgiving day. These days, I work harder on Wednesday than I do on Thursday, but that's a good thing, as it allows me to enjoy myself more and relax. Also, I have twisted DH's arm and convinced him to take responsibility for the turkey so I can focus on appetizers, sides, desserts, drinks, setting the table, getting children appropriately dressed...you know, all the little stuff. :001_rolleyes: It's not the biggest thrill of my life to hear him get all the accolades when he pulls his one measly dish out of the oven and puts it in the middle of the bounty that was my contribution to the feast, but I survive. Anyway, my point is to be sure to ask for help. :lol:

I think I need to stay away from the boards today. My crankiness is showing. :tongue_smilie:

These are the best ever mashed potatoes.

You can make them ahead, and freeze them in a casserole for baking that day, or, better yet, you can make them ahead and freeze them in (or shaped to) a crockpot for baking that day. They come out great either way, but the crockpot is so nice since it frees up stove & oven space. They are divine, and are the only mashed potato recipe I use now that I've discovered them.

These are the best ever mashed potatoes.

You can make them ahead, and freeze them in a casserole for baking that day, or, better yet, you can make them ahead and freeze them in (or shaped to) a crockpot for baking that day. They come out great either way, but the crockpot is so nice since it frees up stove & oven space. They are divine, and are the only mashed potato recipe I use now that I've discovered them.

Did you mean to include a link?:001_smile:

I have been wondering the same thing. All ten of my kids (5 still live at home, 4 are in different states). This will be the first time we will all be together since by dd got married in April and we probably won't all be together until next Thanksgiving. They will start arriving early in the week. My two granddaughters will be here too and I don't want to spend all week in the kithchen. I usually spend all day on Wednesday cooking, but this year I would like to spread it out more. So from what was said, I can freeze gravy (does freezing change the flavor or consistancy of it?) and I can freeze my bread cubes. Anything else?

Make ahead:

Cranberry Sauce (up to a week)

Casseroles (sweet potato, green bean, dressing, etc make the day before but, don't add the topping, if any, until just ready to bake)

Pies (I actually don't even make these anymore Costco Pumpkin Pies are cheap and tasty)

Make waaaay ahead:

Rolls (freeze)

Cubed Bread for dressing (freeze)

Stock for gravy (freeze)

Once I figure out the menu, I usually start with a couple blank pieces of paper and map out what parts of the meal can be prepared a month in advance, a week, a couple days etc. There's a lot to do, but careful planning makes it less stressful and more enjoyable!

Also, I always seem to forgot the table deco until the last minute and then run around the house looking for stuff that's not dusty or tarnished! :lol: Do as much of this ahead of time as you can. My mom always had the table set and decorated the week before Thanksgiving. But, then again, she didn't homeschool on her dining room table!

Just thought of something else...

You can par-boil/blanch any fresh veg. that you are using in a recipe. I usually do this with fresh green beans. Blanch a few days before, dry, refrigerate. The day of they get sauteed with shallots.

What about mashed potatoes? I love mashed potatoes but can't stand boiling a huge pot of water while the oven's on, the turkeys roasting, other side dishes are being made. It's such a pain! I've done the baked mashed potatoes before and those are pretty good, but has anyone boiled the potatoes the day before and then reheated and mashed the day of??

The turkey! My mother has been cooking this ahead for the last few years. She slices and refrigerates (but freezing would be about the same, I think). This reduces her stress immensely, and frees up the oven for everything else. And really, the turkey is the least important part of the meal, IMO. :001_smile:

You can boil the sweet potatoes ahead of time and then freeze them before baking them with the butter and stuff. :)

We make a sweet corn pudding that does not freeze well. don't do that!

We make our stuffing in October and freeze it for at least a month. The flavors blend very well during a good freeze.

I make our cranberry sauce a few days ahead and keep it refrigerated.