Menu

thinking of feeding son nitrates

because they make him aggressive. I had pulled them (and some of his favorite foods) from his diet - but we have FINALLY gotten an appointment with the child dev center. would it be wrong of me to feed him some of his favorite foods, that just so happen to also make him aggressive? or take away his supplements that calm him and help him focus? it would be for three weeks while he's testing. I figure if I can live with it, and not worry too much about how much school we get done during those three weeks, maybe he will actually get deficient areas identified.

I called, left a message and reminded them, and they called back and said "can you come in monday?" (they had a cancellation - otherwise it was end nov/into dec. we've only been in process since APRIL) uh, okay we can do that. and the next monday - uh, I have jury duty. we will figure this out. dh and 1dd can take turns. not like they will be in the room with him anyway. and the monday after that . . . (then on tuesday and wednesday the elementary school tests him.)

Although my ped, an OT, and another provider have said he's SPD, I have been brushed off by other professionals (except the dev od who actually SAW him meltdown - who stated "That is NOT normal. Get him checked out"). And the school's special needs coordinator (who goes to our church and had taught 1st grade for 20 years) who took time to watch him in a classroom for 110 minutes and said - looks like HFASD to me. Even with the supplements, and no nitrates he has issues - but I'm paranoid of things not being identified.

so, should I or shouldn't I?

Edited by gardenmom5

They can only go by how he presents at the time he is evaluated. If his diet and supplements help they will evaluate him at that point. If you want them to see the bigger picture you would have to put the food back into his diet. I hope it works out well for you.

I think you should do whatever your gut says. Me, I wouldn't.

Having said that I have a child who, too, can be aggressive on the wrong foods. I have to be really careful. However, if I was taking him to the Dr for that kinda testing or food testing you bet your bippy I'd put him right back on the junk to make them see the whole picture.

But for an evaluation school wise, I probably wouldn't. I just know how hard it can be to wean them back off the stuff they love but makes them so sick. My situation might be different then yours and you've been waiting a LONG time to get it checked, so do what YOU think is best. :)

You can mention your concerns to them about the diet/ supplements, but I wouldn't give it to him just yet. If he gets evaluated the first time without nitrates and seems to do okay, you could always ask for another evaluation later where you add in the nitrates and discontinue the supplements. That way they would have that "baseline" on paper to compare with.

I'm sort of editing my previous post... Because today the preschool teacher suggested an evaluation for DS. He's had SPD sensory seeking problems from birth, not so much aggression, but more in the way of becoming so hyper that he is unable to control himself or take direction, also unable to stop laughing when he needs to calm down. It's misinterpreted by a lot of people (esp. other parents) who judge without understanding the situation, but inside he is a caring and intelligent boy.

I know some things that REALLY set my son off for the entire day are chocolate, and forms of liquid sugar, like (I gave him french toast with pancake syrup before preschool today) syrup, carnation instant breakfast, juice.

So I'm thinking about what you told you earlier, and if I would apply that to my own son- and I think I might end up giving him some chocolate or juice so they can see him at his "peak". One of the things to consider would be how bad the withdrawals are. If the bad effects only last a day or so, then it might be more worth it than if it was a drawn out withdrawal or caused any physical suffering.

I understand what you are saying. My daughter acts totally different without her omega oils. I took the pov that if I were to go for allergy testing, I have to be off the medicine for several weeks so they can see the full reaction. If they were testing her for ADD, they would probably want her without Ritalin to get what they call a 'true assessment'. Therefore, when we went in, I took her off the omegas for several days beforehand. It was a hellish week, but we pulled through.