Menu

Dr. Hive...what do you think?

I've stubbed & broken a toe before. I'm aware that what's done is taping the toe to the next one and basically giving it lots of time to heal. I'm wondering though, if there's a point where it really *is* worthwhile to see a doctor.

I was hustling through my kitchen the other day and rammed my foot into a fully-loaded box of books. I knew immediately that I had broken one or more toes, and it was truly excruciating. I iced it, and carried on, trying to go easy on it. Of course, my last two toes turned to a rainbow of colors, and the bruise extended about halfway up my foot on the side and the top.

It's been close to two weeks, and though the colors have faded away, the pain is still a continuous ache. Every step feels as though I'm jarring it, no matter how gentle, and especially that first step or two in the morning, it feels almost as though I'm re-breaking it each time. I can't actually flex any of my toes except the big toe and the one next to it. The others don't move, either up or down. I also have an occasional weird sensation that it's wet between my toes, even though my foot is dry.

Is there a point with a broken toe (or two) where it becomes reasonable to see a doctor? Am I at that point? :001_huh: Or should I just give it more time and hope for the best?

An xray showed that the toe is broken into 5 pieces, with one of the breaks being further up my foot and having several chips off the sides that left one bone pointy and shoved the point back against the other bone. :ohmy:

Apparently there were also no signs at all of any calicification that would indicate healing was occurring in the two weeks since the break.

My primary doc sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who saw me right away, but he determined that because the pieces were so small and numerous, it would be difficult to impossible to reconstruct them with screws or pins/plates.

At this point, they've put me in one of those immobility shoe things, and have told me, "Absolutely do not walk even a little without the device in place every single moment. We'll see you in two weeks, at which time we'll be hoping for some signs of healing. Would you like some medication to get you through?".

So, though the news isn't great, at least now I know I wasn't just being a wimp, and that's what it's *all about* for me, kwim? Muscling through the hard stuff without wimping out. ;) :001_huh:

Yikes. That sounds rather severe for a stubbed toe. I would have my vitamin d levels checked because I think your bones are breaking too easily. Hopefully it heals. I don't know what age you are but when I broke my fibula at my ankle two years ago, it didn't start healing until almost 6 months went by. I needed electrical stimulation on the area.

I am glad you went it and told your story. It is stories like yours that reminds people that even though it may seem like a situation where "they will just tape them together and I don't need to see a doctor to do that" still needs to be checked out. I hope you heal quickly.

An xray showed that the toe is broken into 5 pieces, with one of the breaks being further up my foot and having several chips off the sides that left one bone pointy and shoved the point back against the other bone. :ohmy:

Apparently there were also no signs at all of any calicification that would indicate healing was occurring in the two weeks since the break.

My primary doc sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who saw me right away, but he determined that because the pieces were so small and numerous, it would be difficult to impossible to reconstruct them with screws or pins/plates.

At this point, they've put me in one of those immobility shoe things, and have told me, "Absolutely do not walk even a little without the device in place every single moment. We'll see you in two weeks, at which time we'll be hoping for some signs of healing. Would you like some medication to get you through?".

So, though the news isn't great, at least now I know I wasn't just being a wimp, and that's what it's *all about* for me, kwim? Muscling through the hard stuff without wimping out. ;) :001_huh:

Yikes! I'm glad you went. Feel better.