Menu

If you live in NC, SC, TN, or GA...

I'm not quite sure if you all will be able to help me, but here goes...

If you live in NC, SC, TN, or GA, can you tell me about the education system there? Not so much for students, but for employees. For example, are schools having to lay off workers? Are teachers getting raises/cost of living increases? Has overall funding for education been increasing or decreasing? I know the economy is bad all around, but how is it affecting the school system where you are?

Here's why I ask. We are comtemplating moving to one of those states and Dh works in public education. Here in FL, public education is not going well. Funding is down and continues to be cut. Employees are being let go, there's not much hiring going on, and teachers in this county haven't received any kind of pay increase in 4-5 years and are now facing salary cuts. Those aren't the reasons why we're looking to move, but we don't really want to end up in another state with the same issues if we can help it.

Thanks!

If you live in NC, SC, TN, or GA, can you tell me about the education system there? Not so much for students, but for employees. For example, are schools having to lay off workers? Are teachers getting raises/cost of living increases? Has overall funding for education been increasing or decreasing? I know the economy is bad all around, but how is it affecting the school system where you are?

I don't know about other counties, I only know about Wake County, around Raleigh. Wake did lay off teachers for the current school year. But they may have done it by limiting the number of teachers aids in the younger classrooms. I think this is the second year in a row they've laid off teachers though. I have friends who teach in one close high school and I remember the wife saying there were lay offs for the 2010-2011 year.

But then I was talking with others this weekend and there was a elementary school with a low income population that didn't register their kids. The school had 200 (!) kids show up the first day that they were not expecting. That school is scrambling for teachers. I've heard similar things about bus drivers. A friend's child has a different driver every morning and then a driver has to drive 2 routes from the high school in the afternoon. So this child waits at school 1/2 for the bus to come back to drive her route home.

I haven't paid as much attention to pay raises. I would doubt raises, but I don't know about cost of living increases.

There is a hiring freeze. (I have to wonder what the school that needs teachers is doing.) I have a friend getting certified to teach middle school math and she doesn't know what she will do about a job when she is finished with school. (I personally don't think this particular woman has the right mix in her personality to teach middle school, but she didn't ask me.)

I live in the largest school district in the state of SC, and it's pretty much just as you describe the situation in FL. :( They went from hiring about 400 teachers each year to nearly none and furloughing as many as possible. Other districts are in even worse straits. The biggest exception to this rule is for Spanish and Special Ed teachers.

I would recommend checking out the newspapers websites, perhaps for the capital city of each state. Perhaps just glance at the headlines each day to see if there is any Education news....do this on a regular basis. You'll get a good feel of the Education outllook that way.

WHAT does he teach? That might be a help or a hindrance as well. If he is in math/science, ESL or special ed he may be in luck.

The Charlotte area has been laying off but then re-hiring so I am not sure of the current situation.

I do know that class size has increased quite a bit though.

I worked in this area for a while, but most of my career was in CA.

Dawn

Buncombe County (Asheville, NC area) has been cutting teacher's jobs.

:iagree: Agreeing with Robin. I'm also in Buncombe County, and I have a friend whose job was cut two years ago recently get re-hired. She had to agree to teach a grade and subject she has never taught before in order to get a job.

I live in Georgia. Our county had an $8 million deficit this year. Teachers have not had a pay increase in several years and they were cut 1% this year. In addition to that, they have about 8 furlough days. Many non-essential postions have been cut and teachers who have left have not been replaced. Some wealthier parts of the state (North Cobb, North Fulton, Forsyth, and Gwinett) many not be having such a difficult time, but I think all counties have seen a major reduction in funding from the state.

My college roommate teaches in Hamilton County, TN (Chattanooga Area) and her DW teaches in Bradley County (slightly north up 75-- Cleveland Area) and they are both worried about budget cuts and their potential effects on their jobs. She told me she's pretty sure DW's job is safe because she works in a special needs program that is almost always understaffed. But my friend teaches music in public schools. It's not a safe field to be in right now. She said she could definitely keep up her income with the increase she would see in private lessons if her PS job went under, but she's still worried about losing the job.

I live in Georgia. Our county had an $8 million deficit this year. Teachers have not had a pay increase in several years and they were cut 1% this year. In addition to that, they have about 8 furlough days. Many non-essential postions have been cut and teachers who have left have not been replaced.

:iagree:We live on the West Cobb/Paulding County Line. DH is a teacher for Paulding County. He has at least 8 furlough days this year. He has lost his funding for National Board Certified Teachers as well as his extended day teaching. Over the past 4 years, his salary has decreased by about 30%. Many teachers in his county have been non-renewed (for teachers with less than 3 years in the county.) The climate for teachers in the metro ATL area is not good.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I appreciate the information. It sounds pretty much the same everywhere. Bummer.

I would recommend checking out the newspapers websites, perhaps for the capital city of each state. Perhaps just glance at the headlines each day to see if there is any Education news....do this on a regular basis. You'll get a good feel of the Education outllook that way.

Thank you. This is a good idea.

WHAT does he teach? That might be a help or a hindrance as well. If he is in math/science, ESL or special ed he may be in luck.

He is not a teacher; he is a school psychologist and RTI coach/coordinator. I don't know if this makes it better or worse.

He is not a teacher; he is a school psychologist and RTI coach/coordinator. I don't know if this makes it better or worse.

DO NOT come to the metro ATL area. We have friends who have been laid off as school psychologists and RTI coordinators. The systems are just keeping the bare minimum of personnel in that area and the poor ones that are left have huge caseloads.

Same situation in our area of SC too. We live in the Upstate. Big hiring freezes, lay offs, etc. We know someone with a teaching degree that can't find a job to save his life!

My certificate expired after a year and half of my job searching when I tried to go back to work. I can't afford to go back to school to renew it, and even if I could, it would be crazy to, given the low chances of actually getting hired if one isn't a cheap new teacher. :glare:

I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never teach for pay again. It's depressing to lose your career like that, particularly when you have a degree that doesn't really translate to other fields.