Menu

As You Like It OR The Merchant of Venice

There are so many big issues covered in that one - and there is still the open question about how Mr. Shakespeare intended Shylock's character to come across. I wish you all the best - and definitely encourage you to find whatever live performances you can find. We have found our little local live renditions vastly better than any reading... YMMV.

Aloha,

Kristin

I vote Merchant of Venice, both because I love that one and because I don't like As You Like It.

I've seen a couple of productions of As You Like It and have read the play, and it just isn't one of my favorites.

Merchant, however, is really interesting and wonderful.

A few years ago, we saw a one-man play called "Shylock," which was really wonderful. It was all about trying to understand the character and had all kinds of history woven into and was very funny. If you can lay your hands on a copy of the script, it would be well worth adding to your reading list.

The playwright's name is Gareth Armstrong. He also wrote a book about his experiences doing the show. I haven't read the book, but it might well be worth finding, too. It's called "A Case for Shylock."

Merchant of Venice! There is just so much to it. There are great topics for conversation and it is full of contrasting moments. My co-op class has had a blast reading it aloud. There are several famous speeches too. Portia's "the quality of mercy," and Shylock's "if you prickly us do we not bleed" are two off the top of my head.

This is my favorite of Shakespeare's plays!

Well! I guess that settles it! Thanks again, so much, for all your replies.

Hal Holbrook is a favorite of mine--wish I'd seen that production!

A few years ago, we saw a one-man play called "Shylock," which was really wonderful. It was all about trying to understand the character and had all kinds of history woven into and was very funny. If you can lay your hands on a copy of the script, it would be well worth adding to your reading list.

The playwright's name is Gareth Armstrong. He also wrote a book about his experiences doing the show. I haven't read the book, but it might well be worth finding, too. It's called "A Case for Shylock."

I will check these out. Thanks for the referral.