Menu

Coffee s/o Coffee and Tea dream machines

After rudely butting in on the coffee thread, I realized I have a legitimate question and may have burned my bridges there, so I started a new thread.

But first, I only drink tea and rely on this Zojirushi water boiler all day every day:

http://www.zappos.com/zojirushi-cd-lcc40wg-panorama-window-micom-electric-4-liter-dispensing-pot-white?channel=126&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=0D8A9AB8-71EE-DF11-8F9A-001B2163195C

HOWEVER, the day looks a little brighter just knowing that this space-age tea brewing machine exists. It's cost prohibitive, and unnecessary when one owns the Zojirushi, but it's COOL!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Breville-One-Touch-Tea-Maker/dp/B003LNOPSG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318172618&sr=1-1

AND back to my coffee question. DH uses a mug-sized French press and the zojirushi to make his coffee each morning. We like the simplicity of not having a coffee maker on the counter BUT he might enjoy a coffee maker that has a timer and grinds the beans. Is this a good idea for someone who drinks a single cup at a time? He did enjoy his pod machine before he killed it, but he doesn't seem to mind the French press or coffee singles bags. Suggestions?

Edited by KungFuPanda

(Why for the budget to rise? Because I'll want to drink so much coffee??) thanks :)

Oh Yeah. I went from drinking 2 regular cups of coffee per day to drinking 6 espresso shots a day. Then, because the taste of the coffee is so clear with this little press, my palate kept getting more refined. I have just decided that I need to cut back, so am allowing myself a double shot once per day, but with really good coffee. It is sooooooooo good! :D

I'm a coffee junkie. We used to have a Capresso and loved it, but it died. We went through some absolutely dreadful "good name" drip machines; the cuisinart (same one as the grinder model but without the grinder) was so bad, it not only made only mediocre coffee, it flooded the grounds into the water reservoir every other time we made a pot, so we had to mega clean it every day, and it steamed so badly it damaged the cabinet doors above.

I ended up having a eureka moment while camping and drinking great coffee from our camp percolator. So we bought a vintage '40s electric one. It makes great coffee, too, even if you start with cheap ground stuff.

(I think the pod machines make an undrinkable cup)

So, to answer your actual question: I don't think anything that does everything does so particularly well. Stick with the French press if he likes that. (that Aerobie looks sweet, though)

My husband and his friends are true coffee snobs, and for their everyday cups they all use THIS.

OH my goodness! Best coffee ever! Be prepared for your coffee budget to skyrocket. Don't say I didn't warn you. :D

Thanks, I just ordered it for my hubby for our anniversary! I had forgotten it was coming up, and needed something inexpensive but personal. Perfect!

Oh Yeah. I went from drinking 2 regular cups of coffee per day to drinking 6 espresso shots a day. Then, because the taste of the coffee is so clear with this little press, my palate kept getting more refined. I have just decided that I need to cut back, so am allowing myself a double shot once per day, but with really good coffee. It is sooooooooo good! :D

Does it takes similar to vacuum method?

I'm sort of partial to the French Press, which lets all the oils through (and some of the sediment) so it is not "clean" coffee.

But the clear refined taste of vacuum method makes for a very interesting change of pace. I have not tried one of these though.

Bill

Does it takes similar to vacuum method?

I'm sort of partial to the French Press, which lets all the oils through (and some of the sediment) so it is not "clean" coffee.

But the clear refined taste of vacuum method makes for a very interesting change of pace. I have not tried one of these though.

Bill

To me, it tastes more like the vacuum method than not, considering that technically it is still a pressure method espresso maker. My husband prefers more oil and sediment, so he bought a little stainless steel filter for the press that allows more of that through, and is very happy with the result. I prefer the paper filters for that clean taste (though I have to admit to reusing them and dealing with the slight degradation in quality).

A huge plus for us is that it is unbreakable- I think I still havevfragments from our many french presses under the cabinets. It also collapses into a nice size for travel. We have one that stays in the car for coffee emergencies :D.

A friend once saw us unzipping our travel bag with trembling hand and assembling the press, and made a comparison with the 'rig' he carried (he used to be a h. junkie). I have taken the comparison to heart and now only use it once a day. I have not had my coffee yet- if you detect any zombie qualities in my writing style that is why!

To me, it tastes more like the vacuum method than not, considering that technically it is still a pressure method espresso maker. My husband prefers more oil and sediment, so he bought a little stainless steel filter for the press that allows more of that through, and is very happy with the result. I prefer the paper filters for that clean taste (though I have to admit to reusing them and dealing with the slight degradation in quality).

A huge plus for us is that it is unbreakable- I think I still havevfragments from our many french presses under the cabinets. It also collapses into a nice size for travel. We have one that stays in the car for coffee emergencies :D.

A friend once saw us unzipping our travel bag with trembling hand and assembling the press, and made a comparison with the 'rig' he carried (he used to be a h. junkie). I have taken the comparison to heart and now only use it once a day. I have not had my coffee yet- if you detect any zombie qualities in my writing style that is why!

Sounds like a fun device, I like being prepared for coffee emergencies.

I have this little travel brewing system called a Zelco Brisk Brew, awesome!

I never use it at home, but when traveling abroad it makes great coffee. It was life-saver in Japan.

The Aero thing looks neat, but you can't call that an "espresso maker" can you???

Bill

Sounds like a fun device, I like being prepared for coffee emergencies.

I have this little travel brewing system called a Zelco Brisk Brew, awesome!

I never use it at home, but when traveling abroad it makes great coffee. It was life-saver in Japan.

The Aero thing looks neat, but you can't call that an "espresso maker" can you???

Bill

The Brisk Brew looks great! I think it mush be added to the collection!

I am not sure how to classify the Aeropress. The water is pushed through the coffee by pressure, but it does not taste exactly espresso-ish. The coffee is also fully immersed, making it more french press than drip, but then again you can use a finer grind (than used for a FP) so that more surface area is available to the water for extraction. If you are attentive to water temp and timing you can really make a nice little shot (I add hot water for an Americano-like cup of coffee).

I love hearing about these other devices though, especially as Christmas is around the corner!

My husband and his friends are true coffee snobs, and for their everyday cups they all use THIS.

OH my goodness! Best coffee ever! Be prepared for your coffee budget to skyrocket. Don't say I didn't warn you. :D

This looks awesome! It looks like there is an optional reusable filter or disposable, which to you use?

This looks awesome! It looks like there is an optional reusable filter or disposable, which to you use?

My dh uses the stainless steel reusable filter, which lets more of the oils and a tiny but of sediment through. I use the paper disposable filters because I like my coffee sediment-free. I do reuse the paper ones though- by rinsing them well I get several cups out of one, so that I only use one per day.

I am going to make a cup right now!

My dh uses the stainless steel reusable filter, which lets more of the oils and a tiny but of sediment through. I use the paper disposable filters because I like my coffee sediment-free. I do reuse the paper ones though- by rinsing them well I get several cups out of one, so that I only use one per day.

So what is the advantage of the Aeropress over a French Press for him or a Chemex for you?

Bill

thanks for the information!

So what is the advantage of the Aeropress over a French Press for him or a Chemex for you?

Bill

The totally subjective quality of taste :D.

I do like the Chemex and French Press, in fact I have broken several of each! Seriously, I keep both these methods in my "box of tricks". The Aeropress is used 90% of the time due to ease, speed, and just plain tastiness of the resulting cup. It is not as visually appealing as the other two methods, but since I can't see very well until the coffee is already made it really doesn't bother me too much!

(Plus, it is way easier to pack around than the above. I am going to get one of the quick brew pots you linked, though, as they are so cute! I just need to find one as Amazon did not have them. The benefit to Aeropress here is that you do not need electricity- you can get hot water at any gas station and make an emergency cup right in your car. Ask me how I know!)