Menu

Singapore Standards 4B: Algebra?!

Dassah

We did U.S. Edition until 3B, then made the switch to Standards. Today, on pg. 71, number 10 these were the problems (out of nowhere) in the Review Section:

35 - 15/ 5 = n - 3

123/ 2 = 61 + n

50 = (2 x n) x 2

5/8 + n/16 = 1

36 x 25 = n x 4 x 25

3 1/8 = 2 + n

and so forth.

As far as I know, this Review was the first time this type of algebraic expressions have appeared. I literally closed the book to look at the cover to make sure we were in the correct book. I have US Ed 4B on hand and this is not at all covered in the similar review.

I'm questioning the placement of these problems in book 4B. Do I have more surprises to look forward to in 5A-6B? :001_huh:

I think those can be evaluated with "common sense algebra" rather than things like multiplying both sides of an equation. It looks like a slightly more advanced version of 2 + (blank) = 3 For the first one, for example, you can just simplify 15/5. It's very easy after that. Did the student have trouble with the questions, or did it just throw you for a loop? I haven't used any of these books, but it sounds normal for what I've heard of the series.

I think those can be evaluated with "common sense algebra" rather than things like multiplying both sides of an equation. It looks like a slightly more advanced version of 2 + (blank) = 3 For the first one, for example, you can just simplify 15/5. It's very easy after that. Did the student have trouble with the questions, or did it just throw you for a loop? I haven't used any of these books, but it sounds normal for what I've heard of the series.

I think it is meant for +/-/*/dividing on both sides of the equation. While I haven't used SM, those types of problems are Horizons math. They are simple and simply help students understand that operations that occur on both sides of the = do not change the value of the equation.

Common sense algebra for a 9 year old? lol

I think those problems would be considered on par for a Pre-Alg course (not a 4th grader). She was able to do some deductive thinking and figure out much of the equation by using her knowledge previously taught of x or / before + or -. But there were other problems that were a little too difficult like

5/8 + n/16 = 1 (she actually did finally decide to to convert 5/8 into 10/16)... but these problems were part of a 50 problem review (of varying concepts). Not the time to throw this in. I guess I'm mostly disappointed that the curriculum writers threw them into a REVIEW and did not spend time earlier explaining this. My dd is mathy but not super confident....and this didn't help with the latter.

In Singapore level 2B, US Edition, they start phrasing questions like:

58 + (green box) = 100

3 x (green box) = 9 x 2

In a way, if you replace (green box) with 'x', you are looking at really elementary algebra. I anticipate them ramping this kind of thing up quite a bit by the time he gets up to level 4, or I hope they do. It's all just algebraic thinking, introduced in a kid-friendly way, bridging the gap neatly from number bonds to algebra.

Does that make sense?

35 - 15/ 5 = n - 3

This is a subtraction problem. Find the minuend.

(35 - 15:5) is the difference

n is the minuend

3 is the subtrahend.

123/ 2 = 61 + n

This is an addition problem. Find the missing addend.

123/3 represents the sum

61 is an addend.

n represents the missing addend.

50 = (2 x n) x 2

This is a multiplication problem. Find the missing factor.

50 represents the product.

2n represents the missing factor

2 is one of the factors

5/8 + n/16 = 1

This is an addition problem. Find the missing addend.

1 is the sum

5/8 represents the first addend

n/16 respresents the missing addend.

So forth and so on. This is how I teach the kiddos to do these problems.

We did U.S. Edition until 3B, then made the switch to Standards. Today, on pg. 71, number 10 these were the problems (out of nowhere) in the Review Section:

35 - 15/ 5 = n - 3

123/ 2 = 61 + n

50 = (2 x n) x 2

5/8 + n/16 = 1

36 x 25 = n x 4 x 25

3 1/8 = 2 + n

and so forth.

As far as I know, this Review was the first time this type of algebraic expressions have appeared. I literally closed the book to look at the cover to make sure we were in the correct book. I have US Ed 4B on hand and this is not at all covered in the similar review.

I'm questioning the placement of these problems in book 4B. Do I have more surprises to look forward to in 5A-6B? :001_huh:

They did some algebra in 4a too. Look at the order of operations section... p. 41

That notation is introduced in the first chapter of 4A SE because the CA Board of Ed in all its wisdom has included that type of "algebraic reasoning" on the 4th grade math standards. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't really have a big problem with it being on the standards IF the typical 4th grade PS student in the state had a solid grasp of the 4 basic operations and the related facts. But they don't as far as I've observed. IMHO the Board of Ed. needs to put a lot more emphasis on mastering basic 4th grade math skills and leave the baby algebra until after that has been accomplished...

This doesn't seem all that odd to me. I know my DD has done similar problems, and she's working on 3B right now (albeit in a Singapore edition instead of a US one). However, we use enough extra stuff that it's hard to promise that it's in Singapore.

I've been freaked out by a few problems here and there simply because I look at them and think "I didn't do this until middle school"-and meanwhile, DD has long since figured out what X or :D or red triangle equals and is waiting less than patiently for her slow mother to catch up!

Crimson Wife,

So THIS is where we can see the Americanization of a Singaporian math curriculum. :) At least I know it was covered 6-8 months ago in 4A...I'll go back and take a peek. I'm leaning toward the use of the U.S. book now for my younger dd (I switched only for the Standards HIG--love it!).

Okay, I pulled out the 4A textbook and from what I can tell, the notation is just in the reviews (for ex. #11 and #14 of Review 2 on pg. 75, #9 of Review 3 on pg. 107, #11 of review 4 on pg. 139, etc.) I'm not seeing where it is ever formally taught in the actual text.