Menu

Poll: If you fast for religious reasons, which is worse is your opinion?

Which is worse (given the story in the post)  

1. 1. Which is worse (given the story in the post)

• Eating the salad
    • Wasting the salad
    • Wilbur
    • other

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO this is where religion fails humanity. How many times did Jesus rebuke the pharisees for following laws and ignoring the need?

Which need are you referring to, in this particular situation? From what I can tell, no one else's needs are being denied because the diners want to honor God in their fast.

Edited by milovaný

Which need are you referring to, in this particular situation? From what I can tell, no one else's needs are being denied because the diners want to honor God in their fast.

The need to eat. Throw the salad away because it has pork/meat instead of eating. Remember when the disciples collected grain on the Sabbath? Also when Jesus healed the man at the pool on the Sabbath? Also when Jesus stopped the men from stoning the woman accused of adultery? Throughout Jesus' ministry He urged people to consider each situation instead of applying a list of laws without thinking. That's what I was talking about.

I am NOT trying to offend anyone and am very sorry if I offend anyone. I have recently begun to examine my beliefs regarding all the religious rules.

The need to eat. Throw the salad away because it has pork/meat instead of eating. Remember when the disciples collected grain on the Sabbath? Also when Jesus healed the man at the pool on the Sabbath? Also when Jesus stopped the men from stoning the woman accused of adultery? Throughout Jesus' ministry He urged people to consider each situation instead of applying a list of laws without thinking. That's what I was talking about.

I am NOT trying to offend anyone and am very sorry if I offend anyone. I have recently begun to examine my beliefs regarding all the religious rules.

But they were at a salad bar. They could still eat, couldn't they? That need was not being denied in this situation, they could go back for different food. It seems like the situation provided for not eating the salad (just thinking of your words that Jesus urged people to consider each situation) as a way to honor the way their church does things.

I too have been reexamining my beliefs in the last couple of years, and have seen that it's okay to have a way of doing things, like fasting for Lent. Anway, neither am I trying to offend.

But they were at a salad bar. They could still eat, couldn't they? That need was not being denied in this situation, they could go back for different food. It seems like the situation provided for not eating the salad (just thinking of your words that Jesus urged people to consider each situation) as a way to honor the way their church does things.

I too have been reexamining my beliefs in the last couple of years, and have seen that it's okay to have a way of doing things, like fasting for Lent. Anway, neither am I trying to offend.

I understand, I must have missed the salad bar part, just that they selected a prepared salad.

Of course, then there is the moral issue of throwing away food. That just makes me cringe. Would Jesus want us to toss away food in order to observe religious views?

I understand, I must have missed the salad bar part, just that they selected a prepared salad.

Of course, then there is the moral issue of throwing away food. That just makes me cringe. Would Jesus want us to toss away food in order to observe religious views?

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure this is the question to ask in this situation. From the perspective of fasting and denying self, it seems the question might be, "Does the Holy Trinity want us to worship with body and soul, and if so, and if we have made a mistake and put something we're fasting from on our plate, is it okay to humbly admit this mistake and leave it aside because we love him and want to deny ourselves in this way?"

It's really is okay to have some religious practices that have guidelines/rules. Rules and practices do have a purpose. Have a great Sunday!

I'm pretty sure those guidelines Martha posted are for Eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholic. For one thing, we don't have Cheesefare Week in the liturgy of the Latin Church.

Eastern Catholics have their own code of Canon Law, which says that they're supposed to follow the fasting rules that are set by their own rites. At least in the cases I'm familiar with, the lay people are taught the traditional strict guidelines but aren't obligated to follow all of them completely. They have some leeway to decide what level of observance they feel up to doing.

(It's my understanding that this is also true of the Orthodox, but this is just based on conversations with a couple of lay people. Orthodox folks, please correct me if I'm wrong. :))

I must have skimmed, because I was tired-I SO do not remember reading Cheesefare Week. Had I been on my toes I would have been googling. :D

Sorry!

I'm really surprised that a whole table full of people would be unaware that caesar salad usually contains bacon...

If it were me, I'd probably try and pick the bacon out, as I do get a bit upset about major food wastage.

I think that might have been the problem, Caesar salad has no bacon, but anchovies. Mebbe the chef took some artistic liberties when the diners were counting on a classic salad.

I think that might have been the problem, Caesar salad has no bacon, but anchovies. Mebbe the chef took some artistic liberties when the diners were counting on a classic salad.

All the buffets I've been to have bacon bits in their Ceasar Salads. In fact, I've NEVER seen anchovies in one.

All the buffets I've been to have bacon bits in their Ceasar Salads. In fact, I've NEVER seen anchovies in one.

Sigh.

*shakes head*

This bacon bits stuff must be remedied. Bacon bits do NOT belong on Caesar salad. This an error. A horrid, terrible, gastronomical error. It must stop. Bacon bits, heaven forfend.

Foodtv link

Dressing:

• 1 clove garlic, smashed with a pinch of salt and a little olive oil

• 4 anchovy fillets

• 2 egg yolks

• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

• 2 lemons, juiced

• 2 tablespoons water

• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish

• Freshly ground black pepper

• 2 heads romaine lettuce

It's late, I've had good red wine, I hope my cheekyness translates...:D

Wow, you learn something new every day...

Every caesar salad I have ever eaten (and that would be hundreds) has had bacon, unless it was advertised as "chicken caesar" or vegetarian or whatever. Sounds like it's made wrong over here (I'm assuming it's made right there, since the dish was an American invention lol).

Wow, you learn something new every day...

Every caesar salad I have ever eaten (and that would be hundreds) has had bacon, unless it was advertised as "chicken caesar" or vegetarian or whatever. Sounds like it's made wrong over here (I'm assuming it's made right there, since the dish was an American invention lol).

Oh the horror. Caesar wept.

Oh the horror. Caesar wept.

Actually I may have been slightly exaggerating before. I'm sure I have had some that didn't involve bacon. But Caesar Cardini would certainly weep if I mentioned that when we have the salad at home, my husband puts egg on top as well as bacon! :001_huh: [slinks off into Phillistine Corner]

Edited by Hotdrink

They are in the dressing. They are in several dressings and sauces, like Worcestershire sauce.

Actually I may have been slightly exaggerating before. I'm sure I have had some that didn't involve bacon. But Caesar Cardini would certainly weep if I mentioned that when we have the salad at home, my husband puts egg on top as well as bacon! :001_huh: [slinks off into Phillistine Corner]

My cousin-in-law likes to put (prepare your lynch mob) AVOCADO in it :tongue_smilie:

I agree that there is no bacon in a Caesar salad. I don't think adding it (or anything else you like) is a sacrilege, it is just no longer Caesar salad, it becomes a salad with Caesar dressing. I love Cobb salad, it has bacon, egg and avocado. :D

I stand by my statement of many pages back that almost all restaurant bacon bits are made of soy, and contain no meat products, therefore this debate is moot. I agree with everyone who has said it since I pointed it out.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I stand by my statement of many pages back that almost all restaurant bacon bits are made of soy, and contain no meat products, therefore this debate is moot. I agree with everyone who has said it since I pointed it out.

:lol:

They are in the dressing. They are in several dressings and sauces, like Worcestershire sauce.

A Caesar salad without whole delicious beautiful anchovy fillets doesn't deserve the name.

I agree that there is no bacon in a Caesar salad. I don't think adding it (or anything else you like) is a sacrilege....

Need I remind you of scripture? Matthew 22:21 says "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's." I'm pretty sure Jesus was speaking here about salads :D

Bill (who isn't taking any chances :tongue_smilie:)

• 2 weeks later...

Those who stopped eating, if the decision was made quietly without fanfare, honored their religious commitment appropriately. If the decision was made and carried out ostentatiously, the individual lost the spiritual benefit.

Best solution would be to take home the leftovers for consumption the next day.

Those who stopped eating, if the decision was made quietly without fanfare, honored their religious commitment appropriately. If the decision was made and carried out ostentatiously, the individual lost the spiritual benefit.

Best solution would be to take home the leftovers for consumption the next day.

you can't take home from a buffet.