Menu

father/daughter bonding time

right now as I type, dh is out in the garage teaching dd11 how to use the power grinder to grind an ax. She learned how to use his power tools this past summer. When she saw me taking down all the towel racks, mirror, etc. in the bathroom to paint, she came back with the "reverse power screwdriver." :001_huh: I admit it saved quite a bit of time. :blush:

What happened to the little girl who had a large collection of dresses, had princess and tea parties all the time, and swore she'd never wear jeans?

Dd8 is out there laughing at ............................. mom's comments, and then laughing and looking inside at me. :rolleyes:

I let him know that she absolutely will NOT be using a chainsaw anytime soon. I'm putting my foot down on THAT one. :toetap05:

:lol:

My husband does the same with our two younger girls and computers. Our middle daughter has become so good at trouble-shooting computers that she has been put in charge of maintaining the computer lab at school (we after-school now and hope to homeschool full time next year).

I've always said that a man who could play candy-land four times in a row is the man for me. :)

I've always said that a man who could play candy-land four times in a row is the man for me. :)

that's SO cute!!!

BTW - your dd and the computer lab is impressive! :001_smile:

Dd just came in telling me she was starving. I suggested she put on a dress and have a tea party. She ignored me.

Awesome!

Growing up, I always had to take turns with my older brother, working with my Dad in the garage. I LOATHED it. With my bro, Dad took the time to explain everything...what tools he was using, what he was doing, all the engine parts, etc, etc, etc. With me, he explained nothing. I felt that he didn't want me there, and just suffered my presence, so I tried to ignore as much as I could and resented every moment. I've *never* been mechanically inclined in the slightest, give me a book, a theatre production, anything but mechanics.

Many, many years later, my parents were bragging about how they didn't follow gender bias, and how I worked in the garage as much as my brother. I spoke up and pointed out how different Dad treated us.

I was in for a shock.

My dad was stunned, turned to me and said, "You're smarter than R. I didn't think you *needed* everything explained, that you'd learn just by helping and watching. He doesn't, and needed his hand held and guided through every last step."

So, there I was, thinking my Dad didn't want me in the garage, and meanwhile, he thought he was honouring my intelligence and independance by not spoon feeding me everything.

To this day, despite being a mechanic's daughter, if its under the hood of the car, its voodoo, Jack!

Awesome!

Growing up, I always had to take turns with my older brother, working with my Dad in the garage. I LOATHED it. With my bro, Dad took the time to explain everything...what tools he was using, what he was doing, all the engine parts, etc, etc, etc. With me, he explained nothing. I felt that he didn't want me there, and just suffered my presence, so I tried to ignore as much as I could and resented every moment. I've *never* been mechanically inclined in the slightest, give me a book, a theatre production, anything but mechanics.

Many, many years later, my parents were bragging about how they didn't follow gender bias, and how I worked in the garage as much as my brother. I spoke up and pointed out how different Dad treated us.

I was in for a shock.

My dad was stunned, turned to me and said, "You're smarter than R. I didn't think you *needed* everything explained, that you'd learn just by helping and watching. He doesn't, and needed his hand held and guided through every last step."

So, there I was, thinking my Dad didn't want me in the garage, and meanwhile, he thought he was honouring my intelligence and independance by not spoon feeding me everything.

To this day, despite being a mechanic's daughter, if its under the hood of the car, its voodoo, Jack!

what a sweet story!

Dd11 is enjoying this. Dd8 is enjoying watching. From the safe distance Mom told her to. ;)

that's SO cute!!!

BTW - your dd and the computer lab is impressive! :001_smile:

Dd just came in telling me she was starving. I suggested she put on a dress and have a tea party. She ignored me.

My dh has my 11dd using a bow and guns, not exactly what I pictured for her at 11. What happened to my pigtail wearing little girl who loved to twirl in lacy dresses?

My dh has my 11dd using a bow and guns, not exactly what I pictured for her at 11. What happened to my pigtail wearing little girl who loved to twirl in lacy dresses?

it's funny you write this. I was just wondering if he was going to teach her how to use a gun. :glare: I've considered the two of us learning together anyway, since we ran into a scary situation when out hiking once. And we live in the middle of nowhere.

Dh and dd are outside drinking beer and smoking cigars at the moment. When will it end? Does he know no boundaries?

(kidding, but it sure does make for a good story, doesn't it?):lol::lol::lol:

I think it's sweet your dh is teaching her. When we installed our hardwood floors, my dh thought it would be my 18yo son who helped him - nope, it was my prissy 14yo dd who really got into it. I think she could lay floor by herself now.

I do think it's terrific to have girls that can do all this stuff!

My DH has already told my DD5 that she can start coming hunting with him once she is 6 1/2-7. She has retained ALL of her prissiness though....she told him she wanted a PINK bow and arrows. :)

She may retain her prissiness, she may not. I can't even begin to tell you how EXCITED I was when dd turned 10 and started to want clothes in other colors than pink!

My dh doesn't know how to use many power tools himself, so I'd rather he not be the one to teach dd. :D They bond over watching Amazing Race together. They've spent the last two summers watching lots of past seasons and some from other countries. They just hope and pray it's still on when dd is 21 (7 years, just not sure about that one!), so they can apply to be a team. They think they could have a chance because of being the public school teacher with a homeschooled daughter angle.

My dh doesn't know how to use many power tools himself, so I'd rather he not be the one to teach dd. :D They bond over watching Amazing Race together. They've spent the last two summers watching lots of past seasons and some from other countries. They just hope and pray it's still on when dd is 21 (7 years, just not sure about that one!), so they can apply to be a team. They think they could have a chance because of being the public school teacher with a homeschooled daughter angle.

that's AWESOME!!! I hope they can do that together. What an experience that would be!!!