Menu

Do you consider ADHD/ADD "special needs"?

rafiki

On a bad day, yes. :glare:

It feels like a "Tier 3 Special Needs," with the "real" special needs in the Tiers above it, but after seeing how horribly it affected dh and how much his academic & personal life changed once he started medication, I know it can be a very serious issue. With dd it's just frustrating atm, but not bad. My SPD kiddo didn't feel like "real" special needs either, even when she was in OT and such.

On a bad day, yes. :glare:

It feels like a "Tier 3 Special Needs," with the "real" special needs in the Tiers above it, but after seeing how horribly it affected dh and how much his academic & personal life changed once he started medication, I know it can be a very serious issue. With dd it's just frustrating atm, but not bad. My SPD kiddo didn't feel like "real" special needs either, even when she was in OT and such.

:iagree:When ds is flailing around at Tae Kwon Do because he is so overstimulated by a lack of sensory integration, I really want to acknowledge how much of a problem his SPD is. But most of the time I don't feel I have it nearly as bad as some SN moms.

For some dc, it absolutely is a special need. In fact, when I applied to a local college this past summer, ADD/ADHD was listed as a special need that could apply for special compensations. And it was a pretty limited list, too.

My ds is unmanageable and totally unable to learn or be in a group without meds. When he is on his meds, he is focused and happy and learning like crazy. When he is off the meds, he is 100% out of control and you can see how frustrated and freaked out he is by his own behaviour. :(

Honestly, if it inhibits a person's ability to cope and participate, it is a special need. JMHO

I have two kids with ADHD (different types).

Both are on meds. One's ADHD is controlled very well and we manage it nicely by homeschooling. The other has a cognitive impairment and much more severe ADHD. I guess that's why I voted no.

Comparatively, it's just not even close.

But yes, I guess it IS a special need... and there are different extremes and ways it affects the child, the family, and those around them. My oldest dd's ADHD does affect the family to a small degree. My youngest dd's ADHD affects the family (and herself, and her learning) to a very large - constant - degree. But it's also paired with a cognitive impairment so it's hard for me to sort out what exactly "makes" her special needs (she has a diagnosis that covers everything, but I'm talking behaviorally).

I consider it one, in that it impacts the person's life and special accomodations are typically required to ensure success (particularily in a learning environment). The gov't here also considers it one. I receive disability payments each month for 2 of my 3 adhd kids. That said I do agree there is differing severities and with comorbitities being so common with adhd it is hard to tell what is actually causing the biggest issue. The kids have other learning issues going on, not just adhd, that impact not just their school work but their lives as a whole. Ds is deemed to have enough special needs that not only do we get those disability payments but we also get services for families of children with disabilities, special ed classes and/or an aide if he went to public school etc. His biggest issue is the severe ADHD, he has other stuff going on too, but the services all began with the adhd Dx before the rest of the testing showing the other issues.

So based on my experiences I completely think it is a special need.

I vote yes. My Aspie son's behavior has been a lot more overwhelming and frustrating for ME than dd's ADHD, but it presents some very real problems for her, and I don't want to brush off or minimize her struggles just because they're not as "in my face" as her brother's. She does much better with meds, but I can still see that every day is a challenge for her and I think she is a real trooper to keep such a cheery attitude through it all. There are definitely some specific things that are much harder for her than for her peers due to her ADHD, even with the meds.

Depends on the severity. My 18yo is diagnosed ADHD, but his is mostly really, really funny - his impulsivity is legendary. It does cause him problems, but he can overcome most of them with planning and accomodation.

My 10yo on the other hand, has ADHD so severe that it *is* life altering and disabling without proper medication. There are no strategies that can "fix" a child that cannot talk properly without meds. His words and pronunciation get all mixed up, word retrieval is a big problem, and he is unable to learn. This leads to the rage - it is born of pure frustration.

Yes, in terms of the child and family needing specific types of support.

I have a son who has high functioning autism and we don't need a ton of extra help, but we do need SOME, and we definitely need extra patience and understanding from our church, friends, sport groups, etc.