Menu

High school science- I am almost there! Help me decide

What would you use for a strong, rigorous 9th grade Biology program?  

1. 1. What would you use for a strong, rigorous 9th grade Biology program?

• D.I.V.E Biology w/ BJU textbook
    • D.I.V.E Biology w/ Apologia textbooks (reg and advanced)
    • Science Shepard Biology
    • other, please tell me what your other is and why you think its a good choice

OK- so through researching WAY more than I care to admit over the last month or so, here is what I have narrowed it down to, at the moment :001_huh:

Ok- Dd wants to be a Vet (she has ever since our pug died of Pug Dog Encephalitis- she is bound and determined to find a cause and cure) so she needs a good science foundation. I would like something that I can follow through with through high school but I WILL change yearly if I can find good quality programs. I want something rigorous yet user friendly. Something STRONG in science but understandable.

Here are my choices up to this point for 9th grade Biology next year:

1) D.I.V.E Biology (BJU)

2) D.I.V.E Biology (Apologia w/ both Biology and Advanced Biology books)

3) Science Shepard Biology

If you have something else that will fit my pickly requirements please let me know! Thanks

I can't say that I have a solution for science that will take you throughout all of high school. However, we are using Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life and really like it! Explanations are excellent, and the workbook and CD ROM with accompanying activities are quite helpful. I think it would be an excellent choice for an aspiring veterinarian.

I can't say that I have a solution for science that will take you throughout all of high school. However, we are using Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life and really like it! Explanations are excellent, and the workbook and CD ROM with accompanying activities are quite helpful. I think it would be an excellent choice for an aspiring veterinarian.

I agree on your assessment of Campbell, but the OP does not want a secular text if I remember correctly.

I voted for BJU w/DIVE because I think it is rigorous enough to get the job done for a pre-vet major (my major in college). I think Science Shepherd looks great, I just don't have any experience with it to make the choice.

Personally, I go secular for Biology, and I chose Miller Levine. Cambell's Exploring Life covers NOTHING that BJU Life Science hasn't already covered (no greater depth on topics either). I debated hard between Cambell's Concepts and Connections and M/L but we are loving M/L, it was the right choice for us!

I hope you love your choice as much as we do!

I voted Dive w/ BJU...

I'll be watching this thread as I am having the same debate on what to use with my dd next year. I haven't used either one yet but have noticed through wading through a bunch of old threads that it seems like BJU is thought to go a little more in depth than Apologia.

Yeah I think I remember that too, but I wonder if that is still the case with both Apologia books?

I was making these decisions last year for my 9th and 10th graders! It all sounds so familiar.

I was deciding between Shepherd Biology, BJU w/ Dive, or BJU w/ DVD, but I decided to go with Shepherd -- so far so good.

I did not go with DIVE because I wanted more than 4 tests. There is a large amount of information to cover and I wanted a few more testing opportunities. I didn't go with with BJU DVD's because my oldest used them, and we didn't care for the BJU teacher.

Yvonne in NE

I was making these decisions last year for my 9th and 10th graders! It all sounds so familiar.

I was deciding between Shepherd Biology, BJU w/ Dive, or BJU w/ DVD, but I decided to go with Shepherd -- so far so good.

I did not go with DIVE because I wanted more than 4 tests. There is a large amount of information to cover and I wanted a few more testing opportunities. I didn't go with with BJU DVD's because my oldest used them, and we didn't care for the BJU teacher.

Yvonne in NE

Right now I am kinda between DIVE w/ BJU and Shepard Biology. It does help that I found out that Shepard will have a full line of high school science eventually, just not sure of the time table.

Can you talk to me more about Shepard? Do you feel the info is explained clearly? I know you answered another question I had about this but I forgot what I asked :lol:

How much do you do in a day and what does a typical day look like to you?

My kids have always found the Apologia books interesting and engaging. Some people do not the conversational tone, but it has been a plus for us. There have been many days that interest has been stirred and that led to discussion that led to research that led to more discussion that led to more learning.

We did/do use Apologia. We had all the elementary books and both dd's read all of those, but I wanted to move towards more of a WTM science so I sold those. It was a HARD decision. I have decided what to do for grammar and logic stage but Rhetoric is killing me :001_huh:

For the high school Apologia I keep reading about how other courses are more rigorous and dd wants to be a vet so I am struggling. It will be hard to let it go but I just can't help but wonder if I need to :crying:

Okay,

I chose "other". We are using apologia with redwagontutorials.com and loving it! My son also does the recommended readings as suggested on the apologia website for serious science students. He scores very, very well on standardized tests, but more importantly has a true understanding of what he is learning and is able to connect it to other ideas.

Sandra

Here is what I said earlier:

There is a schedule in the Parent Companion book that we have been following. The schedule has everything planned for 36 weeks of school, usually 4 days a week with a 5th catch up/study day. The kids read the sections indicated, take notes, and answer any chapter review questions that were covered in those sections. If they are not able to answer the chapter review questions, they watch the "Enhanced Study Questions DVD" for further information. The following day I go over the previous days sections by using the parent companion book which has the key points listed for each section. They watch the labs, but are actually 'doing' labs with a coop.

I think the material is explained well. I would not consider it light. The student does have to study to do well on the tests, which are short answer/essay tests with a few T/F. As far as the chemistry, I don't have anything to compare the text with. However, my kids did BJU Physical Science last year and so far any chemistry related topics have been review from last year.

Yvonne in NE

I was a biology major in college (and now a physiacl therapist). So not the same profession, but the requirements were the same. My ds used Apologia Biology with the redwagon tutorial last year, and requested to do the same with chemistry this year. I love it. The lecture adds more material, and I like the alternate tests provided on the CD (more essay type questions....and you are supplied with the answers :)). My son still talks about the things he learned in Apologia Biology.

No matter which biology book you go with, I would HIGHLY suggest your dd having an anatomy course in high school. I don't know this for a fact, but I would suspect the Apologia Human Anatomy books covers more on anatomy and physiology than just a regular biology book (from any publisher). I really think that if you use both Apologia books your dd will have a very solid biology foundation.

Because I want my son to have a strong foundation in science, we started Apologia Biology the summer before 8th grade, then moved to Apologia chemistry. We are doing math and science year round to allow for more advanced classes in those subjects. It might not be for everyone, but it is an option, especially for thise who want to major in science in college.

I know we all stress overe these decisions :D. I hope you will find what works best for your dd! Blessings.

Having used both Apologia and BJU sciences in my long homeschooling career, I voted other. I would most definitely use BJU over Apologia, but I would use BJU with the BJU DVDs, not DIVE.

The BJU teachers know their subject. They are passionate about it and that passion gets passed on to your student in a fun interactive way. I would not discount BJU DVDs because a student somewhere did not care for one of the teachers. That would happen in private or public high school, it will most definitely happen in college and in the workplace even. That's life. Kids need to deal with that and decide to learn despite it. But having said that, I can't think of a single BJU science teacher who isn't wonderful. :confused:

I also think in your dd's case that I would try to fit in Apologia's Human Anatomy into her highschool cycle at some point. BJU's Biology does a great job of hitting human anatomy (MUCH better than Apologia's Biology by far) but a full course covering Human Anatomy would probably do your dd a great service in the long run.

If you decide on SS, I have the entire package. Dd wrote on page one of the lab manual which asks the student to label the microscope. Everything is there if you want/need it.

I have a science degree/masters degree (MSN) and it really is an encompassing/engaging program. It is fully planned with a day to day calendar. We would have used it, but Dd likes either DVD/or video companion. And this is what it is lacking (with the exception of a complete DVD for labs).

I LOVE the layout of the book. It is very clearly written, and to the point.

I didn't vote because, well, it is inappropriate!!!! Just an FYI for you if you decide that this is what you want. I can sell it cheap.

BTW, anatomy is an important aspect of biology (and is included in a strong course) but you don't need it as a separate course in highschool. I would concentrate on the core sciences; biology, chemistry and physics.

HTH's