Menu

Why do we want the (white) 1993 kingfisher world history and not the newest one?

jenniferlee

I've reviewed both extensively. They have pretty much the same information, but the red Kingfisher is written in a more bullet-point style. I chose the white one so that it would be more conducive to outlining ... the red one is pretty much already in outline form.

PSA!!!

If you decide to buy the white one, DON'T spend 40, 50, 60, 90, 110 dollars on it!! That's a massive ripoff. Be patient and you will find it for a reasonable price. I got mine used on Amazon for $8.54 (including shipping). It really appalls me when I see people (especially here) trying to gouge people.

Tara

I've reviewed both extensively. They have pretty much the same information, but the red Kingfisher is written in a more bullet-point style. I chose the white one so that it would be more conducive to outlining ... the red one is pretty much already in outline form.

PSA!!!

If you decide to buy the white one, DON'T spend 40, 50, 60, 90, 110 dollars on it!! That's a massive ripoff. Be patient and you will find it for a reasonable price. I got mine used on Amazon for $8.54 (including shipping). It really appalls me when I see people (especially here) trying to gouge people.

Tara

Tara is right; you can get the white one for less IF you are willing to be patient. I paid more than I wanted to for my white one, and then saw it for much less on Amazon. If I had only waited.... Oh, well. I do agree that some prices folks are asking (even here on the for sale boards) are waaay out of line.

Tara is right; you can get the white one for less IF you are willing to be patient. I paid more than I wanted to for my white one, and then saw it for much less on Amazon. If I had only waited.... Oh, well. I do agree that some prices folks are asking (even here on the for sale boards) are waaay out of line.

Out of print books do become more expensive over time. I got a reasonable price on Amazon. I did not see any for $8 on eBay or Amazon.

Out of print books do become more expensive over time. I got a reasonable price on Amazon. I did not see any for $8 on eBay or Amazon.

Perhaps, but when you can go to Amazon one day and find copies for $30, and two weeks later, after there has been a lot of discussion about the book here, you go back to Amazon and the price has jumped to $80, and then a month later it's down to $30-40 again, I call that gouging. And as long as people are willing to pay ridiculous prices, people will keep charging them.

I think that $40 is a reasonable price for the KIHW (the white one). I got mine cheap because some British bookseller apparently didn't know what s/he had when s/he listed four copies for $4.55. I lucked into it, but I have seen deals like that several times.

When someone tries to sell the book for $110, which I have seen here at TWTM, I would call foul.

Tara

Yeah, I know OOP books can get pricey. I paid $40ish for my Kingfisher, which I know is not that unreasonable; but I saw it on Amazon for $20 a week later. Oy! I could have saved $20! My homeschool budget is very tight--I could have used that extra $20....

Just trying to encourage folks to not pay a ridiculous price, and thinking that it can't be had for less. Shop around and be patient. Your low price may be $40, or it may not. :)

We just got the white one. I paid $1 for it at a used book store because it was the "old" edition - little did they know. So keep an eye out locally too, especially sellers that don't also sell online. To then a book a couple decades old is just a cheap older edition.

We actually do own both. I got the white one in preparation for his 5th grade year next year, but my younger kids love the color and excitement of the red edition.

We just got the white one. I paid $1 for it at a used book store because it was the "old" edition - little did they know. So keep an eye out locally too, especially sellers that don't also sell online. To then a book a couple decades old is just a cheap older edition.

We actually do own both. I got the white one in preparation for his 5th grade year next year, but my younger kids love the color and excitement of the red edition.

Yup, yup! I bought mine locally (local at the time) for less than $10. And we do also have two different version of the Red Kingfisher as well. They each have their own place.

• 2 weeks later...

PSA!!!

Tara

:iagree::iagree:

I got mine on Amazon for $6.22 including shipping and it is in mint condition. Who can beat that?