Menu

I'm livid! Any bankers here?

Ah, but not everyone agrees with that. DH and I read Dave Ramsey, for example, and got some great ideas, but we completely disagree with his idea about avoiding credit at all costs. We like credit. Credit is good. Credit allows us to live in a house and drive a nice, reliable car. It also allows us to handle some emergencies that would require money NOW and not when we can transfer it to a useable form. I can't stand the idea of my dd19 driving without a credit card. What if she gets a blowout and needs to buy a new tire, but doesn't have the cash on her or in her bank account? It's an extreme example, but it is certainly a possibility. I've had to have a tire replaced and the shop had to come out to where I was because I can't change a tire. (I've tried and tried to learn but I just don't have the upper body strength. My exhusband laughed and laughed when he saw me trying to jump on the jack. I nearly sprained my ankle!) I've been in an accident and had to use a credit card to get a rental car to get home. The insurance company did reimburse me but they didn't arrange and pay for the car before I got there. I can't imagine what I would have done if I didn't have the credit card. I didn't have anyone to call that wasn't at least a 2-hr drive away.

:iagree:All reasons we use credit, and will continue to do so.

They were for $20, $17.50 and $16.13, I think. I thought that was strange as well. All three are marked as ATM transactions on the bank statement.

What! ATMS don't give out coins! LOL That is ridiculous. Unless it was a balance transfer, they have to see that there is something hokey going on! I would definitely be fighting this!

To Chase's defense though....I knew people in college would would take their own credit card on a spending spree and then call the credit card company to report it stolen. :blink::thumbdown:.

His card is a Visa. Does that matter? And believe me, I've asked him a billion times if he is positive it was not him. He is positive and I do believe him. He doesn't have much money to begin with and he's very frugal so he knew exactly when, where and how much he has spent since he's been on campus. He does not have any close friends on campus but I can't positively discount an acquaintance lifting his card and returning it.

For them to admit that any of the transactions is fraudulent is crazy. Why one but not the others? I'm starting to wonder if the 7-11 ATM machine did have a camera on it and they know it was not him so that is why they refunded that transaction to him.

Visa debit cards have exactly the same protections as credit cards. Banks count on consumers not knowing their rights; keep pushing it until they refund the money, and if they don't, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Years ago, I went to the bank to request a refund for the company I worked for because they cashed an unsigned check that had been stolen by an employee. The response I got was that they don't check signatures. That's fine; they don't have to check signatures. But they do have to refund the money when they cash an unsigned check. I was young and they thought they could dupe me. Your son is young, and they think they can dupe him, too.

They were for $20, $17.50 and $16.13, I think. I thought that was strange as well. All three are marked as ATM transactions on the bank statement. Again, ds asked about these strange amounts and was only told they were his charges. Very frustrating.

When I use my debit card at a store, it says ATM on my account, even though it wasn't an ATM. You need to use the PIN, though. Although.... some places allow you to use the card for under $20 without the PIN (like Subway.)

What! ATMS don't give out coins! LOL That is ridiculous. Unless it was a balance transfer, they have to see that there is something hokey going on! I would definitely be fighting this!

I know! It doesn't make any sense at all.

To Chase's defense though....I knew people in college would would take their own credit card on a spending spree and then call the credit card company to report it stolen. :blink::thumbdown:.

I do believe this happens but ds is not claiming his card was ever out of his sight. He has had it all along. Could this be some kind of cyber theft? Who knows. Maybe this is some kind of security issue on their end.

I am way over thinking this for sure. I keep going back to the fact that they said one of the transactions was fraud but the other two weren't. Ds will follow up tomorrow to confirm that the fraudulent transaction had a camera on the machine. If that is the case I want him to see the picture so he can see if he recognizes the person. My only guess is that they have seen the picture and they know proof positive it was not ds and that is why they refunded that money.

When I use my debit card at a store, it says ATM on my account, even though it wasn't an ATM. You need to use the PIN, though. Although.... some places allow you to use the card for under $20 without the PIN (like Subway.)

Ahhhh.....good to know. Interesting enough the transaction at the 7-11 was the one they refunded. They have already said the other two were ATM machines on campus.

Ahhhh.....good to know. Interesting enough the transaction at the 7-11 was the one they refunded. They have already said the other two were ATM machines on campus.

Maybe the $17.50 was a $15 withdrawal with a $2.50 service charge? I haven't seen a machine that gives out increments of $5 in a long time, but I suppose it's possible.

Maybe the $17.50 was a $15 withdrawal with a $2.50 service charge? I haven't seen a machine that gives out increments of $5 in a long time, but I suppose it's possible.

That's a possibility. There is a machine in our nearest little town that gives $5 increments. I would think a college campus machine might give $5. So the $20 and the $17.50 could be ATM withdrawals.