Menu

2nd grade math help ~

FairyMom

My oldest currently uses Singapore. We just finished 2A and are about to start 2B. We had a light day, did some bean bag math facts toss and :001_huh: she didn't know what 8 + 3 was. She subtracts three digit numbers with ease, does hard word problems great, but doesn't know what her math facts are. I am really questioning this spiral approach with her. I am not just seeing holes, but craters!

Two questions ~

1) Does Singapore ever cover math facts or do I need to do that on my own?

2) If I need to do it on my own, is there a program out there that does it thoroughly? I was looking at Rod & Staff.

Thanks! :)

Why don't use just add some flash cards? It would be a whole lot easier (and cheaper!) than buying another program.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm also wondering if the glaring math facts are present now, what else will we miss on our foundation? I'm just thinking out loud. A little dumbfounded, too. I didn't expect that.

mathusee is the best program i've found that is designed to make sure children know the facts. I tried flash cards, songs, games, singapore, etc but my daughter didn't really learn her facts until we started MUS. I started after we finished 2 other programs where she didn't learn facts so I didn't want to re-buy a whole additional years curriculum so I just bought an old mus vcr tape of ebay to go with the blocks I ordered off ebay. She learned all the facts in a few weeks. MUS teaches children to do the problem on paper, in their head and to understand when to use a particular operation (i.e. word problems where they decide whether to add, subtract or multiply) I also introduces algebra from the very first level in a non-threatening manner.

Did you use Singapore 1A and 1B? I know in the HIG for those levels they told you what facts they should have memorized. We used flashcards and online games to learn the facts while we were doing 1A and 1B. We are almost done with 2A but we still do lots of review with Addition/Subtraction facts while we are also working on memorizing the multiplication table for 2 and 3.

I know in the standards edition the HIG says that they should have all the basic addition/subtraction facts memorized before they move onto a certain unit. I don't remember what one but I know we took an extra week when we got to that point to have them down. Not with fast recall, but at least having them down to the point that he wasn't struggling to come up with the answer.

ETA - They never specifically covered the math facts in 1B but they do expect them to know them since they were covered in 1A.

I know people have differing opinions on spiral vs mastery approach but I will say this about mus. The students I know who have used mus can do math problems given to them from other books. When I was using other stuff (Horizon, Singapore, etc) I found that my daughter could only do the problems in the book and when presented with anything else had no clue what to do. When we switched to MUS she not only learned her facts but started to really comprehend the concepts behind the problems which translated to any problem she encountered. She does the Singapore workbook for fun a few days but she wasn't learning the concepts from singapore.

Math facts for 1-20 are covered in 1a and briefly reviewed in 1b. Are you using the home instructor guides? They have lots of ideas for math fact review and mental math sheets that can be used as math facts drills. You may want to buy the 1a home instructor guide and review with her. My dd learned her math facts with Singapore and she has had them down ever since. I did use all components of the program (home instructor guide, text, workbook, intensive practice book, challenging word problems) so I'm not sure if that is the difference.

You may want to look into the rightstart math games as well, I haven't used them but will probably purchase them soon for my 5yo.

Don't give up on Singapore yet!!!

HI Cindie! (so neat to see you here, again!:))

I don't use Singapore at the moment but, I did purchase MUS Alpha to use in addition to our other math program so that my daughter would really get a thorough understanding of math facts and addition & subtraction, overall.

I imagine there are other ways (less expensive, as well) to learn math facts however, I felt that MUS was the best way for my daughter to know her math facts and have a very thorough understanding of the relationship between addition and subtraction, among other things. Plus, the MUS Blocks really click for her.

Anyway, you have been given some great suggestions so far, just wanted to share the route we went.

Edited by Wildwood

When I was using other stuff (Horizon, Singapore, etc) I found that my daughter could only do the problems in the book and when presented with anything else had no clue what to do.

Yes. I think this is what we are dealing with. She is brilliant in the book. Just does the workbook most of the time. I ask her a simple question outside of the workbook and she looks at me like I have two heads on my shoulders. Just a little befuddled now. I don't think I have the best program for her learning style. She loves math, gets out the workbook on her own, gets things at least 95% correct, which is our number to acquire before moving to the next exercise, yet it seems like she doesn't truly "get it." *Heavy Sigh*

Is MUS a mastery?

HI Cindie! (so neat to see you here, again!:))

I don't use Singapore at the moment but, I did purchase MUS Alpha to use in addition to our other math program so that my daughter would really get a thorough understanding of math facts and addition & subtraction, overall.

I imagine there are other ways (less expensive, as well) to learn math facts however, I felt that MUS was the best way for my daughter to have a very thorough understanding of the relationship between addition and subtraction, among other things. Plus, the MUS Blocks really click for her.

Anyway, you have been given some great suggestions so far, just wanted to share the route we went.

Hey, C! Wow, you use MUS also! Okay. What level are you using for your oldest? When I looked at Rod & Staff at the convention it seemed like it was behind Singapore. However, I can't tell what she needs right now. I'm wondering if I should just start over with 2nd grade math. We do Oak Meadow's for fun, but math mastery is extremely important to her Dad and me; hence the ... :willy_nilly:

Math facts for 1-20 are covered in 1a and briefly reviewed in 1b. Are you using the home instructor guides? They have lots of ideas for math fact review and mental math sheets that can be used as math facts drills. You may want to buy the 1a home instructor guide and review with her. My dd learned her math facts with Singapore and she has had them down ever since. I did use all components of the program (home instructor guide, text, workbook, intensive practice book, challenging word problems) so I'm not sure if that is the difference.

You may want to look into the rightstart math games as well, I haven't used them but will probably purchase them soon for my 5yo.

Don't give up on Singapore yet!!!

I have the textbooks and workbooks only. We didn't do 1A, maybe we should have. So the math facts are in the 1A Home Instructor's Guide? Don't have the Challenging word problems, the Home Instructor's Guide, or the intensive practice book. No wonder I feel like there are holes. I'm using half a program! :svengo:

Wow, I have a lot to think about.

Thank you so much, ladies! This board is priceless!!!

Hey Cindie,

I have MUS Alpha for my second grader. It focuses mainly on single-digit addition and subtraction, and a few other concepts.

As far as SM, I would also recommend the HIG. If I remember correctly (in the 1A HIG), it details the importance of, and instructs the parent to be sure to take time out to help the student understand the number bonds/math facts as this is the basis for understanding of future concepts. I would highly recommend the 1A HIG as it sounds like it may be the missing piece for you and your daughter.

I'll second the vote for the RightStart Math games book/card set. We're just over halfway through RightStart B and I am amazed by how quickly my son has picked up his math facts.

The best part is that he's having so much fun "beating" me in the various games that he doesn't even realize that he's memorizing/learning math facts. But I'm always checking him, and he really *knows* the stuff--he even retained it over the summer, when we did very little math-wise.

Best of luck!

christina

I'm not sure I would add an entire new program to Singapore. (Says the person who used 4 first grade math programs. ;)) I would start to include more word problems, like CWP 1 and either flash cards or math fact memorization sheets, like Kumon. We use Two Plus Two is Not Five to drill math facts. It's working well here. Before, Ariel struggled with 2+3 and now she's whizzing through her +8 and +9 facts. It's such a relief to know she's not going to be counting on her fingers through 9th grade. :lol:

Hey Cindie,

I have MUS Alpha for my second grader. It focuses mainly on single-digit addition and subtraction, and a few other concepts.

As far as SM, I would also recommend the HIG. If I remember correctly (in the 1A HIG), it details the importance of, and instructs the parent to be sure to take time out to help the student understand the number bonds/math facts as this is the basis for understanding of future concepts. I would highly recommend the 1A HIG as it sounds like it may be the missing piece for you and your daughter.

Thanks, C. I'm going to try to take a deep breath, get the HIG and :chillpill: before I go crazy and order a whole new program. It really caught me off guard since she loves math and seems to really excel.

I'm not sure I would add an entire new program to Singapore. (Says the person who used 4 first grade math programs. ;)) I would start to include more word problems, like CWP 1 and either flash cards or math fact memorization sheets, like Kumon. We use Two Plus Two is Not Five to drill math facts. It's working well here. Before, Ariel struggled with 2+3 and now she's whizzing through her +8 and +9 facts. It's such a relief to know she's not going to be counting on her fingers through 9th grade. :lol:

I know, right? :lol: This too shall pass, but it really shocked me. She seemed to sail through 2A and then, bam! Deep breath.

What is CWP? I am thinking of adding intensive word problems and some kind of math facts. The xtramath looks great.

I have Math in focus, which is also singapore math. I did buy the extra practice book, and that has helped a lot. I almost am doing 2 lessons a day because I do the teaching lesson from my manual, then dd does her workbook sheets that are based on that lesson (one dd needs me to be right there for her workbook assignment, the other does not). Then later in the same day, I assign a lesson from the extra practice workbook. We do a lot of math games. 4 way countdown is a great board game - I even like it. Lots of Ipad apps too.

I have the textbooks and workbooks only. We didn't do 1A, maybe we should have. So the math facts are in the 1A Home Instructor's Guide? Don't have the Challenging word problems, the Home Instructor's Guide, or the intensive practice book. No wonder I feel like there are holes. I'm using half a program! :svengo:

Wow, I have a lot to think about.

Thank you so much, ladies! This board is priceless!!!

This happened to me when I used Singapore briefly with Rebecca. I definitely needed the HIG; her understanding was so much better with it!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm also wondering if the glaring math facts are present now, what else will we miss on our foundation? I'm just thinking out loud. A little dumbfounded, too. I didn't expect that.

To not miss on the "foundation" she needs to work on her re-grouping skills. She should be able to take 8+3 and be able to "make a 10."

8+3=10+1

10+1=11

Having this basic strategy down pat is more important than "memorizing math facts."

Learning her math facts should come through repeated application of the strategy and you might demand she talk you through "how" she is solving sums of this sort. Simply having the right answer is not good enough at this stage. She must be able to manipulate the numbers and explain her method.

Don't go to flash-card memorization or you will be short-cutting and important and vital step in the progression of skills.

While the HIGs are very good, this is one point where the advice is way off IMO. And it is a big one.

Bill

To not miss on the "foundation" she needs to work on her re-grouping skills. She should be able to take 8+3 and be able to "make a 10."

8+3=10+1

10+1=11

Having this basic strategy down pat is more important than "memorizing math facts."

Learning her math facts should come through repeated application of the strategy and you might demand she talk you through "how" she is solving sums of this sort. Simply having the right answer is not good enough at this stage. She must be able to manipulate the numbers and explain her method.

Don't go to flash-card memorization or you will be short-cutting and important and vital step in the progression of skills.

While the HIGs are very good, this is one point where the advice is way off IMO. And it is a big one.

Bill

I hope it is okay to jump in here...

Bill, this makes a lot of sense, thank you. I see what you mean by the child needing to be able to explain her method.

What is the best way to focus on/practice re-grouping skills, in your opinion/experience?

Thank you.

Bill, this makes a lot of sense, thank you. I see what you mean by the child needing to be able to explain her method.

What is the best way to focus on/practice re-grouping skills, in your opinion/experience?

Thank you.

Please explain more, Bill. How do you recommend learning re-grouping skills?

8+3=10+1

10+1=11

Bill

Bill makes an important point. Knowing the regrouping strategies is VERY important and a lot of the exercises expect the child to be able to do that.

If you were doing Singapore without the HIG you really were missing over half the program.

My son was able to explain the regrouping over and over again before we ever got to the point of memorizing the math facts. Since he is young and doesn't have the stamina to write problem after problem we used flashcards and the mental math lists in the back of the HIGs to memorize the facts rather than using them in problems over and over again.

Thank you.

The best way is to have her talk you through her strategy again...and...again...and...again...and...again.

We did this over and over and over. With every problem of this sort. It is work. But it is work that pays off in a huge way.

Bill

I will also say math facts for my boys just seemed to one day CLICK for them. Up to that point they were totally frustrated with the thought of knowing them.

I wanted to see this repeated. I always use a quote that isn't mine, that the 3rd reading program you use will usually be the one you "love", not because it is the best, but because by the time you get to the 3rd one your child has matured enough to learn to read. I think it is the same time with other skills as well. Perhaps it isn't the program, the child just needs some extra time for it all to click? But I am a huge fan of Xtramath online drills, and love Timez attack for mulitplication, to help with memorization until things click.

Please explain more, Bill. How do you recommend learning re-grouping skills?

The first step is she must learn the "pairs that make 10."

There is a classic game from Right Start called "Go to the Dump." A search on YouTube should bring up a video showing the rules of the game. It is one of the fun ways to get these pairs down.

So in the scenario you gave of 8+3=[ ]. She should be able to tell you that 8 needs 2 to be a Ten, and that if 3 gives up 2 (so that 8 can become a Ten) that there will then be 1-Ten and 1-Unit, or 11.

These kind of re-grouping skills are why Singapore Math uses things such as number bonds, so children can see how a number can be split into different "parts" for computational ease.

This is the starting point. It is not too late, but it does need to be mastered the slow way. She may see it right away, and the trouble may be over (but still reenforce it). Having the children explain their math strategies at this age is always wise.

Bill

We use Rod and Staff and are very pleased with it. It really drills the math facts, although my daughter tends to fly through it and wants to skip problems that she feels are repeats. I love the design, not too busy, almost makes me want to color on it like a kid would. It is a very traditional program, but is a mastery approach. I also like that its inexpensive, and you get five workbooks to start with instead of a huge one. You could always use Singapore as a supplement on those days when you feel they are zipping through.

Thank you, Bill!

You are welcome.

Singapore Math is a very solid world-class math program. There are reasons to its methods. The facility to break apart and regroup numbers to ease mental math computations is a skill that will continually be built upon.

So work the strategies you encounter in the books. Resist temptations and suggestions (even from the HIGs) to short-cut the process with memorization of math facts. Let the acquisition of these come through the repeated application of strategies. Do this and she will "know" her math facts cold, and will have developed "scaleable" re-grouping skills she can apply to problems of greater complexity where memorization-alone would fail her.

Memorization alone is an illusion of mastery. Real mastery means building skills that are useful beyond the limits of memorization.

Talk is good. Demanding the child justify her work, her method, and/or her strategies is a very good thing. Then you will see what she knows, where she might be confused, and you might learn something in the process (I certainy do :D).

Best wishes,

Bill

Did you use Singapore 1A and 1B? I know in the HIG for those levels they told you what facts they should have memorized. We used flashcards and online games to learn the facts while we were doing 1A and 1B. We are almost done with 2A but we still do lots of review with Addition/Subtraction facts while we are also working on memorizing the multiplication table for 2 and 3.

:iagree: We are in 1A now and are working on learning our facts in Chapter 2 Addition (this chapter is just addition up to 10). The HIG tells what facts they need to be memorizing.

I don't know what kind of manipulatives you use with Singapore but I know the MUS blocks really helped us with the making 10 concept as well as regrouping. The ideas for teaching that Bill mentioned including place value, making 10 and regrouping are covered on the MUS instructional videos. I think most people let their kids watch the video along with them & then discuss it. In the math fact learning stage they use the blocks and I always asked my daughter to teach the concept back to me before we move on. As I mentioned before, if you don't want to buy a whole new curriculum you might try ebay for one of their old vcr tapes. I paid $10 for mine & it covered a lot of the alpha, beta & some gamma info on it. I emailed the local sales rep & they sent me a pdf that showed me how the old program lines up with the new one so I'd know where to start after the tape. I think the blocks were the best $35 I've spent in my homeschooling experience so far.

Good to know you find it so indispensable. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how necessary it was.

I think the HIGs are really helpful. But as I said previously they will suggest you memorize the math facts. This is one suggestion I would urge you to ignore.

After your daughter has the re-grouping strategies down and may need speed work, then there are means including games, electronic games, and various forms of drill. But these should come after a mastery of the re-grouping skills, not before.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I think the HIGs are really helpful. But as I said previously they will suggest you memorize the math facts. This is one suggestion I would urge you to ignore.

After your daughter has the re-grouping strategies down and may need speed work, then there are means including games, electronic games, and various forms of drill. But hese should come after a mastery of the re-grouping skills, not before.

Bill

A very timely piece of advice for us! Thanks so much Bill!

Bill thanks for your input it is reassuring! I have to tell you, my husband seriously taught this to me and I am a grown up graduated college with good grades and all LOL! I was NEVER taught regrouping. I focused on math facts up until 10 and then being able to regroup, or make ten/complete the next ten and it made a world of difference. At one point it seemed we took a step back because it does take a while to learn, but then DS grew leaps and bounds! He's 7 whizzing through math 3rd grade now. He STILL does not have everything memorized, but he is very quick at regrouping and uses strategies like doubles for 8+7 or something, since he memorized doubles. I never did flash cards.

My husband uses math/physics every day and he is really good at explaining to me HOW to teach/explain things. I did pretty good and got through calculus, but I never learned basic math as I should have.

I actually have not really looked in to singapore. Right now we are doing teaching textbooks and DS loves it.

After your daughter has the re-grouping strategies down and may need speed work, then there are means including games, electronic games, and various forms of drill. But these should come after a mastery of the re-grouping skills, not before.

Bill

Thank you very much. She will need speed work, it takes her a long time to finish most problems. At least I know where to begin now. :)

I know, right? :lol: This too shall pass, but it really shocked me. She seemed to sail through 2A and then, bam! Deep breath.

What is CWP? I am thinking of adding intensive word problems and some kind of math facts. The xtramath looks great.

CWP is the Challenging Word Problems book from Singapore. We're using this a little with MM to practice "real life" application.

The best way is to have her talk you through her strategy again...and...again...and...again...and...again.

We did this over and over and over. With every problem of this sort. It is work. But it is work that pays off in a huge way.

Bill

We are in Singapore 2A. We take turns sometimes. I talk my son through it using math straws. (single straws, elastics around ten straws, elastics around 10 groups of ten straws...) I will talk him through it when I use the straws. He will talk through it using the straws. He will talk through it when using pencil and paper. I will talk through it using pencil and paper...

Till he no longer needs help talking through it, we will stay at this 'spot' in the math book.

My eldest also gets review because he always likes to hang around and watch his little brother's math lesson.

The first step is she must learn the "pairs that make 10."

There is a classic game from Right Start called "Go to the Dump." A search on YouTube should bring up a video showing the rules of the game. It is one of the fun ways to get these pairs down.

So in the scenario you gave of 8+3=[ ]. She should be able to tell you that 8 needs 2 to be a Ten, and that if 3 gives up 2 (so that 8 can become a Ten) that there will then be 1-Ten and 1-Unit, or 11.

These kind of re-grouping skills are why Singapore Math uses things such as number bonds, so children can see how a number can be split into different "parts" for computational ease.

This is the starting point. It is not too late, but it does need to be mastered the slow way. She may see it right away, and the trouble may be over (but still reenforce it). Having the children explain their math strategies at this age is always wise.

Bill

We use a few different games to get number bonds down.

1. Cards

We have cards with pictures of numbers on them. For example the "1" card has a block 1 cm long. The "2" card has a picture of a block 2 cm long... I deal each player 3 cards. On your turn you pick up a card. Look at the cards in your hand and see if you can make a line 6 cm long. ( or 7, or 8, ...) Sometimes you will need to use more then two cards to make a line, sometimes only 1 card. We keep playing "Making 6s" till it is so automatic to see what can make a 6 before going on to the next card game. The next card game is then "Making 7s"

2. Stories

We have little math blocks of various colors that snap together. For example right now we are working on the number 6. We pick two colors, (pink and green) and then make a shape using 6 blocks in those two colors. For example I might use 3 green and 3 pink. My story would then be. (3 green flowers and 3 pink flowers make 6 flowers)

3. Dice

We have various dice, and a neat dice rolling machine from the board game "The Inventors". (You put the dice in the top and press a button. It rings a bell and rolls the dice out into a bin). We put two dice in the top and roll them. Then we race to see who can give the total the fastest. Some of the dice only have a 0, 1, or 2 on them. Another dice might have a 1, 2, 3 on them. For the most part the dice have dots on them instead of numerals.

4. Battle field

We have a picture of the number bonds squares. Two little square with lines connecting them into a big square. I put maybe 4 red blocks in one little square and 2 green blocks in the other square. The blocks then travel on the lines to the big square and my son has to tell me how many fighters in total.

This game also works in reverse. I start with perhaps 6 blocks in the big square. They fight! Perhaps I will pick 2 to loss the battle. Those two go to the little square . My son then has to figure out how many blocks won the fight.

5. Dice math

I have two cards that look like this:

___ - ____ = _____

___ + ____ = _____

I roll two dice and put them into two of the empty spaces on the cards. We then race to find the right answer. Once you know the right answer you put a card (with a numeral on it) in the spot for the answer.

What I then do it rearrange the dice and we race for the answer again.

For example I might put down dice to show a question such as

2+4= ____

My son will put a 6 in the answer spot. I then make him take his six away and rearrange the question to be

4+2=____

He now knows that the order of the numbers make no difference in addition, but it does in subtraction.

We use a few different games to get number bonds down.

1. Cards

We have cards with pictures of numbers on them. For example the "1" card has a block 1 cm long. The "2" card has a picture of a block 2 cm long... I deal each player 3 cards. On your turn you pick up a card. Look at the cards in your hand and see if you can make a line 6 cm long. ( or 7, or 8, ...) Sometimes you will need to use more then two cards to make a line, sometimes only 1 card. We keep playing "Making 6s" till it is so automatic to see what can make a 6 before going on to the next card game. The next card game is then "Making 7s"

2. Stories

We have little math blocks of various colors that snap together. For example right now we are working on the number 6. We pick two colors, (pink and green) and then make a shape using 6 blocks in those two colors. For example I might use 3 green and 3 pink. My story would then be. (3 green flowers and 3 pink flowers make 6 flowers)

3. Dice

We have various dice, and a neat dice rolling machine from the board game "The Inventors". (You put the dice in the top and press a button. It rings a bell and rolls the dice out into a bin). We put two dice in the top and roll them. Then we race to see who can give the total the fastest. Some of the dice only have a 0, 1, or 2 on them. Another dice might have a 1, 2, 3 on them. For the most part the dice have dots on them instead of numerals.

4. Battle field

We have a picture of the number bonds squares. Two little square with lines connecting them into a big square. I put maybe 4 red blocks in one little square and 2 green blocks in the other square. The blocks then travel on the lines to the big square and my son has to tell me how many fighters in total.

This game also works in reverse. I start with perhaps 6 blocks in the big square. They fight! Perhaps I will pick 2 to loss the battle. Those two go to the little square . My son then has to figure out how many blocks won the fight.

5. Dice math

I have two cards that look like this:

___ - ____ = _____

___ + ____ = _____

I roll two dice and put them into two of the empty spaces on the cards. We then race to find the right answer. Once you know the right answer you put a card (with a numeral on it) in the spot for the answer.

What I then do it rearrange the dice and we race for the answer again.

For example I might put down dice to show a question such as

2+4= ____

My son will put a 6 in the answer spot. I then make him take his six away and rearrange the question to be

4+2=____

He now knows that the order of the numbers make no difference in addition, but it does in subtraction.

These all sound like really fun ways to learn. Young kids tend to love stories. I remember when we first started out and my son wanted me to lay down with him at bedtime. It was "lights-out" but he pleaded for a story.

Having no story at hand, I thought I'd invent one around our new strategy of "making Tens."

So I began: Once there were two numbers walking in the woods. One was an Eight and the other was a Seven. Eight had always dreamed of becoming a Ten, and there was nothing in the world he wanted more. So Eight pleaded with Seven, "Oh Seven, I do so wish to be a Ten, won't you please give me Two so I can realize my dream?"

The Seven—being a good natured number—said, "it would be my pleasure to help you become a Ten." So Seven gave Two to Eight and Eight became a Ten and Seven became a Five. So they were now Ten and Five.

The new Ten was so grateful for friend's kindness and true friendship that he said to Five, "from now on let us be partners and walk together as a pair in the woods." The Five was delighted and happily ascended to the idea and from that day onwards Ten joined with Five to become Fifteen.

Good night.

What I did not know that night is that by special request I would have to tell variations of that story for hundreds of nights to come :tongue_smilie:

Daddy, can you tell me a story of two numbers in the woods?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car