Menu

What do you use for reading practice with OPGTR?

lea1

We were using Modern Curriculum Press Phonics Practice Readers. We went up through set 4 (of series A), which covers consonant digraphs, and then it seems that is where they end.

We are getting ready to start lesson 104 in OPGTR, so we are now well past the digraphs, and I feel that my two sons are not getting the practice they really need, practicing the specific things they are learning like they were when we were using the readers.

We have a lot of reader type books (leveled readers) but they seem to have so many sight words. I would much rather use readers that go along with what we are learning in OPGTR.

If you are using OPGTR and you are past the consonant digraphs, what do you use?

I have used the BOB books and the Frog and Toad series. Right now my son is reading Magic Tree house but he is using OPGTR more for review. My youngest who is using the guide reads the Bob Books and helps out reading the level books. some words are still big for her and we are only on lesson 30something with her.

Thanks. Although I had several boxes of them, my sons did not really care for the Bob books so much so I sold them. But I don't think they are ready for Magic Tree house quite yet, even though they do enjoy them being read aloud.

Hopefully I will get some additional feedback.

That was about the point that my son starting enjoying books by Syd Hoff, Cynthia Rylant (Henry and Mudge) and the Big Green and Blue Books of Beginner Books (Dr. Seuss) There were still words that he didn't know, but I just told him the words that I knew he didn't know and helped him on the words that we had covered but he wasn't good with yet.

He didn't enjoy the leveled readers where there were so many sight words. The basic ones were below his phonetic level but he couldn't move up because there were too many sight words. I found moving to real books helped there be more phonetic words and fewer sight words per page.

I used about anything in the easy reading section of the library--Mr. Putter & Tabby books were a favorite of my kids. Little Critters were also a fun and easy series. They also read simple picture books, I just sounded out words for them when we got to words that we had not yet covered in OPGTR. After Mr. Putter & Tabby the Franklin series was a good next level for them-some of the words were more difficult.

We used the Sonlight Grade 1 readers too, they start with I Can Read it books and moved onto stuff like Dr Suess (Green Eggs and Ham, A Big Ball of String). I can't remember what lesson we were on when we started, but the I Can read It books start with VCV and move pretty quickly. It worked out well for us. All About Spelling readers are nice too, I think I like them better as far as story line goes, but they seem pricey to me. (they are hardback instead of paper)

They are a bit pricey, but we enjoyed the books that go with All About Spelling. Each story followed the different phonics we were learning in both reading and spelling. Mine were bored with Bob Books as well but I had them read them anyway. I figured that it was more important for them to practice reading, and I gave them lots of praise and made it a big deal when they finished each one with stickers and what not to make them bearable.

We use... NOTHING! :) We have a plethora of books around, of course, and they can pick up anything they feel like. Oldest DD8 spent 18 months or so doing OPGTR from late K to early 2nd. Since we finished, she just took off as a reader and a year after finishing she's probably reading at a 6th-grade level. DD8 and the 2 kids using OPGTR have never had any problem going from one lesson to the next. If it were (or becomes) a struggle to go from one lesson to the next, then I would absolutely supplement with more practice. We'll see!

We have SL, Nora Gaydos and BOB. That being said, it depends on where you are in OPGTR. In the early stages it seems that the BOB books "fit" best. As you go farther along, of course that opens up. HTH!

Yup, we're still at lesson 35 or some such, so Bob Books it is. Too many sight words. I was in Chapters th other day looking at all their leveled readers, and it seems like there are SO many sight words in them. Silas knows "I" and "the" so far lol. So we'll stick with Bob. He's young enough he doesn't care!

They are a bit pricey, but we enjoyed the books that go with All About Spelling. Each story followed the different phonics we were learning in both reading and spelling. Mine were bored with Bob Books as well but I had them read them anyway. I figured that it was more important for them to practice reading, and I gave them lots of praise and made it a big deal when they finished each one with stickers and what not to make them bearable.

:iagree:

I have to say, of all the readers we use, I love the AAS ones best. They start very basic, and slowly become more challenging through each book, and they're very well done!

I also second the Nora Gaydos readers - love those too!

While we don't specifically follow OPG (I do like to use its methods though), what I've done this year is switch our phonics lessons to align with AAS, use Horizons as our worksheets and to do that, have gone through the Horizons books and noted which pages to use with AAS (you could do the same with ETC or Plaid Phonics) as reinforcement. I use the readers from AAS (since they line up perfectly) and also pull readers from Starfall, Bob Books and Nora Gaydos to keep things interesting and fun for DS. We also do some leveled readers each week and any words DS cannot yet decode, I just tell him the word so we can move on.