Menu

What to get exchange student for Christmas...

We are hosting an exchange student, and loving it. He calls us mom and dad. We are treating him like one of our kids. It is great.

Christmas is coming up. I want to buy him similar gifts to my children. I don't want him to feel treated differently. The problem is that he has a lot more and nicer stuff than our kids.

We are doing 1 big ticket item for each kid this year, and then smaller things like books, clothes, etc. For big ticket items, I am getting my younger kids used older ipod touches, I am getting my oldest a new ipod touch (he is giving me his older one for a younger sibling) another child is getting a new cell phone.

Our new son has an iphone4, a laptop, super nice headphones, and a lot of other gadgets. What can I get a kid that has everything? I know he needs a new backpack for school - we use the nice huge Jansport ones, and he could use some posters for his room. What can we get for his big ticket item that costs about $100 give or take? Am I making this more difficult than it has to be? We want him to really feel like a part of the family. Thanks.

Please don't feel obligated to buy him an expensive gift just because you're buying the same for your children. Don't worry--he will feel like a part of the family if you give him gifts. :)

That said, if you can afford it and you want to, go for it. A nice messenger bag that will fit his school things and his laptop might be nice, and a good one can run around $50-90. U.S. brand-name clothing and such are often popular. Think Nike, Levi, etc. and a nice jacket or pair of shoes can get you pretty close to that price range too.

Where is he from?

We've hosted college exchange students for a few years, and they are always so thankful to be included at Christmas time! If he's from a country or family that celebrates Christmas, he might enjoy eating a favorite holiday dish too. If not, the New Year follows closely, and preparing a traditional New Year dish might be fun. We always have hoppin' John, cornbread and Japanese New Year's food.

Have fun. :)

Cat

Please don't feel obligated to buy him an expensive gift just because you're buying the same for your children. Don't worry--he will feel like a part of the family if you give him gifts. :)

That said, if you can afford it and you want to, go for it. A nice messenger bag that will fit his school things and his laptop might be nice, and a good one can run around $50-90. U.S. brand-name clothing and such are often popular. Think Nike, Levi, etc. and a nice jacket or pair of shoes can get you pretty close to that price range too.

Where is he from?

We've hosted college exchange students for a few years, and they are always so thankful to be included at Christmas time! If he's from a country or family that celebrates Christmas, he might enjoy eating a favorite holiday dish too. If not, the New Year follows closely, and preparing a traditional New Year dish might be fun. We always have hoppin' John, cornbread and Japanese New Year's food.

Have fun. :)

Cat

We try to have Asian food on family night. I do plan on celebrating his New Year with some traditional food. We go to the Korean grocery a lot. He doesn't really like American food much, but is polite about it. I try to keep rice in the house at all times.

He said he wanted a backpack like my kids'. He is carting around a gym bag right now. I'll need to make sure he actually wants one and isn't just being nice. A big backpack would sure help him.

I would get him an item that would be unique to your state or the United States (if that is where you live) Something specific to where you live that he couldn't get where he lived.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. He does have money, likes to shop, and has picked up some items like university sweatshirts and such.

We've done a steel thermous, an llbean canvas bag, a cashmere scarf, a nice wool sweater, and a nice backgammon board for our holiday son. His big present is that we take him skiing with us. It is our children's big present, too. Not that his other presents haven't been considered big, but I was less worried about them being fairly practical because of the skiing. He gives us great candy that his sister sends him, and holiday cookies. We try to have things he likes to eat, but they aren't traditional for him. Our Christmas isn't even on the right date for him. What about tickets to a show or concert? As they get older, it becomes harder to give them things that are concrete.

Nan

We try to have Asian food on family night. I do plan on celebrating his New Year with some traditional food. We go to the Korean grocery a lot. He doesn't really like American food much, but is polite about it. I try to keep rice in the house at all times.

He said he wanted a backpack like my kids'. He is carting around a gym bag right now. I'll need to make sure he actually wants one and isn't just being nice. A big backpack would sure help him.

A nice backpack is a great idea. I went to high school with a guy who had been in the states for a year and I know one of the things he really treasured was the backpack he got when he was there. I bought a great L.L. Bean backpack when I was in the states last time. They are HARD to get in some places :D

But then I like bags:D

My favorite gift from my host family was a photo album filled with pictures of them. I cherish it to this day and remember my "other" family with much love.

That was going to be my suggestion. :) Anything else will just be more stuff. Maybe the nice backpack with the photo album tucked in it?

Something that will remind him of this stay with you years down the road.

I got books with pics from our town (which conveniently existed). You and your dc could each write something in the book.

Have you taken a lot of pics offamily life?

How about a photo album he can take home?

Our first LOVED sports team shirts and hoodies, American movies, and books. His English was not great, and he worked up to reading HP all the way through during his 6 months with us. We gave him his own copy of book & when he left. Also loved locals food (our current student doesn't like American food so that wouldn't work).

Sports equipment is another possible hit. Our current student had his birthday soon after he arrived and we gave him soccer cleats.

Our first LOVED sports team shirts and hoodies, American movies, and books. His English was not great, and he worked up to reading HP all the way through during his 6 months with us. We gave him his own copy of book & when he left. Also loved locals food (our current student doesn't like American food so that wouldn't work).

Sports equipment is another possible hit. Our current student had his birthday soon after he arrived and we gave him soccer cleats.

This kiddo likes movies, shopping, fashion. He is great, but trying to figure things out for him has been interesting.

The bookbag + photo album idea is good, and the matching outfits idea was cute. If you all wear matching sweaters or something for a holiday photo, it would be a great way to say "you're part of the family".

We are including him in our yearly Christmas photos. He doesn't have any pictures up of his own family. They are all on his iphone.