Menu

Singapore Math - SE vs US

Perogi

We are currently using Singapore and have since dd 8yo was 4yo. I've seen here that there is a difference between the US Edition and the Standard Edition. We have through 3A in the US Edition because we've always purchased through SL.

Could someone help me understand why the SE is preferred? And, if I thought it would be preferable for us to use would it be problematic to switch to the SE in 3B?

Not everyone prefers Standards. We are using US and are perfectly happy with it... If it isn't broken, I'm not fixing it.

I see no mention of negative numbers yet, but that is super easy to teach on your own without investing in a whole new curriculum if you can draw a number line, and for word problems, think about things like borrowing money from Mom to buy a new toy, and paying it back out of your allowance. Or counting down the days until a favorite holiday. Borrowing money, and then borrowing again, then how long will it take to pay back? Khan Academy also has topics-- for free.

I hear some folks like the Standards HIG's better, but that is not an issue for us.

I do use the IP books at grade level, so having them match the US edition is a huge plus for us. I believe many Standards users use them a grade or half grade back as review, since they do not line up as well with that edition; Standards users can clarify that point from actual usage for themselves.

I think both editions are fine. I would recommend sticking with what you have already spent money on as it is a fine program, and then decide if you are happy with it, or if there is a compelling reason to switch beyond 'everybody's doing it.'

Not everyone prefers Standards. We are using US and are perfectly happy with it... If it isn't broken, I'm not fixing it.

I see no mention of negative numbers yet, but that is super easy to teach on your own without investing in a whole new curriculum if you can draw a number line, and for word problems, think about things like borrowing money from Mom to buy a new toy, and paying it back out of your allowance. Or counting down the days until a favorite holiday. Borrowing money, and then borrowing again, then how long will it take to pay back? Khan Academy also has topics-- for free.

I hear some folks like the Standards HIG's better, but that is not an issue for us.

I do use the IP books at grade level, so having them match the US edition is a huge plus for us. I believe many Standards users use them a grade or half grade back as review, since they do not line up as well with that edition; Standards users can clarify that point from actual usage for themselves.

I think both editions are fine. I would recommend sticking with what you have already spent money on as it is a fine program, and then decide if you are happy with it, or if there is a compelling reason to switch beyond 'everybody's doing it.'

Thanks for chiming in. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure why "everybody is doing it" - I thought if I could understand the reasons people prefer one version to another I would be able to decide what fits for us. Having always ordered from SL I wasn't really aware of the other edition. I'm not planning to replace what I have already purchased but thought if there were compelling reasons to use the Standards edition I could start using it in 3B because I've yet to purchase those materials.

Thanks for chiming in. Part of the problem is that I'm not sure why "everybody is doing it" - I thought if I could understand the reasons people prefer one version to another I would be able to decide what fits for us. Having always ordered from SL I wasn't really aware of the other edition. I'm not planning to replace what I have already purchased but thought if there were compelling reasons to use the Standards edition I could start using it in 3B because I've yet to purchase those materials.

I got that from your post :). Sometimes it can just be reassuring to hear that you aren't the only one using what you are using.

I'm getting ready to purchase our initial Singapore groups. There are probably numerous threads out there about the pros and cons of each edition. I'm leaning towards standard though. But I would love to hear any other thoughts on the subject. :bigear:

I am using the US edition. I am always confused by the posts that say to ise IP and CPW a year behind, we use them all at the same time without issue. If Ibsaved level two for next year, he would be bored with them. The IP is not that much harder than the wkbk. If they say that because theubarebin standard edition....I will stick with US.

I heard something about thenpics in SE being cartoon, I cannot imagine what that wpuld be, I feel like US is cartoon and my DS is not crazy about the pics in that one. I don't need the HIG, even for higher level math; I could teach through algebra without anything but am answer key. So I am fine with the hig. I think it has some good ideas for games and such. Again. I compared some hig pages and did not see much difference.

I like the US edition and we will stick with it.

The SE was written to match CA state math standards. The US edition matches the original standards.

I'm an SE user. :) I haven't compared US with SE; I just knew from other posts that I wanted the SE HIGs to accompany the lessons. The teaching ideas in the HIGs have been valuable for me. (I don't use them for the answers ... yet! :tongue_smilie:)

I am also one of those who uses the IP a half-level behind. I do this not because the SE edition has somehow put DD further behind, but because I want her to be consistently reviewing previous concepts while she's encountering higher-level ideas in the textbook/workbook. Right now she's using CWPs on level but a few units behind -- again, it's providing a great review of concepts.

I haven't really noticed any difficulties arise from using the IP and CWPs along with the SE, but I have only checked through 2A.

However ... if you're using the US Edition, and it's working for you, then I would absolutely stay with it. I just thought I'd share a few of the reasons why some of us may bring in different books at different points in the program.

I'm sure they're pretty much the same, so I went with the more colorful SE version because of the way it looked. Also, it was newer... so I figured they're more likely to discontinue the US edition and I wouldn't have to switch. But they'll both probably be around for quite some time...

The Standards Edition advances some topics from the US Edition and includes original Singapore material that was purged from the 3rd Edition and US Edition. The notion that it is "behind" the US Edition in either scope or sequence is fanciful, as the inverse is true.

The 3rd and US editions were "reduced content" versions relative to the 2nd Edition of Singapore Math and the SE version restores those missing topics, including (to my mind) vital elements like negative numbers. The SE is the more complete and more challenging version of the core materials.

The HIGs for the SE are universally recognized as superior (even the HIG author acknowledges this is the case). The Standards Edition as more content and more review (a positive point in my estimation).

The SE also offers better value because while the books cost slightly more per copy, the cost is less relative to content per page, not to mention full color in the SE Textbooks.

The Intensive Practice Books are more challenging than the core books of either the US or SE Edition, but the idea that they are more difficult for students using SE (which is the more challenging and more advanced of the two versions) is simply incorrect.

Either version shares the same basic model. Neither are "bad." Some people may prefer less review, fewer pages, reduced topics, and dislike color and they have a choice. And those who prefer more review, more content, enhanced topics, and like color texts have an alternative choice.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

The Standards Edition advances some topics from the US Edition and includes original Singapore material that was purged from the 3rd Edition and US Edition. The notion that it is "behind" the US Edition in either scope or sequence is fanciful, as the inverse is true.

The 3rd and US editions were "reduced content" versions relative to the 2nd Edition of Singapore Math and the SE version restores those missing topics, including (to my mind) vital elements like negative numbers. The SE is the more complete and more challenging version of the core materials.

The HIGs for the SE are universally recognized as superior (even the HIG author acknowledges this is the case). The Standards Edition as more content and more review (a positive point in my estimation).

The SE also offers better value because while the books cost slightly more per copy, the cost is less relative to content per page, nit to mention full color in the SE Textbooks.

The Intensive Practice Books are more challenging than the core books of either the US or SE Edition, but the idea that they are more difficult for students using SE (which is the more challenging and more advanced of the two versions) is simply incorrect.

Either version shares the same basic model. Neither are "bad." Some people may prefer less review, fewer pages, reduced topics, and dislike color and they have a choice. And those who prefer more review, more content, enhanced topics, and like color texts has an alternative choice.

Bill

Bill, I literally just sent you a PM about this very subject.:tongue_smilie: Thanks for chiming in!

As a self proclaimed mathophob I think I would probably lean towards more review and content and more helpful instructors guides--and Color!

The SE also offers better value because while the books cost slightly more per copy, the cost is less relative to content per page, not to mention full color in the SE Textbooks.

Either version shares the same basic model. Neither are "bad." Some people may prefer less review, fewer pages, reduced topics, and dislike color and they have a choice. And those who prefer more review, more content, enhanced topics, and like color texts have an alternative choice.

Bill

So...would it be a problem to switch from US to SE at 3A or 3B?

Dh is the math teacher in our house so I'll have to tell him and see what he thinks - I'm honestly not even familiar with the US edition because I'm not the one teaching it :tongue_smilie: I do know that I bought the HIG for 2A and he was thoroughly unimpressed.

Dh is the math teacher in our house so I'll have to tell him and see what he thinks - I'm honestly not even familiar with the US edition because I'm not the one teaching it :tongue_smilie: I do know that I bought the HIG for 2A and he was thoroughly unimpressed.

I believe that Jenny at Singaporemath[dot]com (who runs the forum there, and wrote both versions of the HIGs) recommends switching at the 3A Level, but you might ask there (and/or get input from others here).

As I said, the SE HIGs are considered to be much better than the earlier US Edition versions.

Bill

The recommendation is to make the switch from US to Standards at the end of a level rather than between the A/B books.

I could second that opinion about the HIG (US edition). There just isn't a lot in there that I don't intuit naturally by just reading the textbook for myself. BUT I may not be a representative case, either; I tend to see more of where an author is going in a math book than some people do because it is a very comfortable subject for me.

(PS, earlier, I did not say that SE users had difficulty with IP problems; I said they used it a semester or year back because the material did not match up precisely with the program, and some people find that to be a pain to rearrange for themselves-- the chapters are apparently not in a 1:1 correspondence-- this does not mean that the students are not achieving, just that they are in a different sequence. Chapter 4 may be about geometry in one book and division in another. Some parents are very busy and find matching that up for themselves too time-consuming to be worthwhile. I don't judge them for their priorities; I'm just restating what I have read here on the forum threads). I apologize if I was unclear earlier and managed to cause any offense; certainly none was intended.

I could second that opinion about the HIG (US edition). There just isn't a lot in there that I don't intuit naturally by just reading the textbook for myself. BUT I may not be a representative case, either; I tend to see more of where an author is going in a math book than some people do because it is a very comfortable subject for me.

That was exactly dh's feeling about the HIG.

What makes the SE HIG better??

(PS, earlier, I did not say that SE users had difficulty with IP problems; I said they used it a semester or year back because the material did not match up precisely with the program, and some people find that to be a pain to rearrange for themselves-- the chapters are apparently not in a 1:1 correspondence-- this does not mean that the students are not achieving, just that they are in a different sequence. Chapter 4 may be about geometry in one book and division in another. Some parents are very busy and find matching that up for themselves too time-consuming to be worthwhile. I don't judge them for their priorities; I'm just restating what I have read here on the forum threads). I apologize if I was unclear earlier and managed to cause any offense; certainly none was intended.

No apology necessary on my end. There were just several posts suggesting that SE users might need to use the IPs "behind" the core materials. It is true that some (or even many) Singapore users of either edition use the IPs "behind" because they are harder than the core books. This is true of either version. That said, the SE versions are topically ahead of of the US Edition and any decision by a parent to use the IP books "behind" is not due to a deficiency in the Standards Edition, and I did not want to leave a misimpression hanging out there.

We use the SE and the IPs on the same level, for what it's worth.

Bill

We are happy users of the U.S. Edition and I would never consider switching. I like knowing that this edition was what was being used when Singapore scored at the top on the TIMMS. If you read the history of Singapore math, you can see how the curriculum was reduced to allow for more thinking skills. We use the IP and the CWP at level and have plenty to keep us busy.

I'm sure the SE is fine as well, but "more topics" and color pictures are no lure for us.

I always used the US editions because the SE choice came too late for us. I have heard the SE HIG's are better, but I rarely used the HIG because I didn't feel the need. On occasion it was nice to have a solution so I could get started on some problem, but even that wasn't much necessary.

For reduced content, I have seen studies or maybe opinions that say US math programs try to cover too much that countries that do better than us in international testing cover fewer topics. (As a former stat person I must say I find the stat topics that get included even at the middle school level laughable.)

We added in the three extra books that were available as we went through. I did notice there are more choices there now. We did the same level as the text we were in. If we had had more work in the text we might have had to cut some of that.

My oldest is now in 4A of NEM and although he will say he doesn't like math, he rarely gets anything wrong and this year he's been self-teaching.

we are SE user. I like the frequent review. and agree with Bill that SE goes a tidy bit faster than US. but really not big deal IMO.

from their site

----------

For 1A-2B it is possible to switch from the A book in the U.S. Edition to the B book in the Standards Edition. For levels 3-5, you will need to finish the B books of one level before switching to A book of the next level and not switch mid year. Between levels 5 and 6, it is not advisable to switch editions at all.