Menu

Texans - can you help me please?

My 8th grade boy decided to try public school this year so that he could play football. Well, that's not working so well, he's miserable! I think he'd be fine if he HAD to go to public school but he knows the joys of homeschooling and can't wait to come back home. :D He's fine with not playing football but the one thing I really don't want him (and my girls when they're that age) to miss out on is FFA. As far as I can find out, he can be an FFA member if he can take an ag class at the school. And in Texas, homeschoolers can take a class at the school if the school board allows it.

Right now, our school district doesn't allow this. I talked to one of the board members tonight and he's willing to help me tactfully start working on this issue. He suggested that it would help him if he had the names of some other school districts in TX that allow homeschool students to take a class.

Do any of your kids do this? And would you give me the name of your ISD to help the board see that it can be done? Thanks in advance.

FFA is the only reason we would consider sending dc to ps. Our district, and the ones around us, refuse to let homeschoolers take a class or two.

I even called the Texas FFA office to see if dc could take an ag class at home, but they insist the class must be taught by a certified ag teacher. He did tell me to join 4H, though. :(

Bumping this up for you. Yeah, what about 4H? We're in Northwest ISD and I seriously doubt they would have anything to do with homeschoolers.

There are several homeschool sports leagues. I KNOW I saw a football one. We were googling around the other day and found the Dallas Thunder basketball league. I don't know what part of Texas you live in...but there must be others.

I hope you get some answers!

I have yet to hear of any school district in Texas which does allow homeschoolers to participate in anything, either class or extracurricular activity. Control is very tight. I hope that, if any district does permit enrollment, somebody will see this thread and let us know which one it is!

As already suggested, I was going to suggest 4H membership as an alternative (even though it is not the same as FFA).

Thanks everyone! We are active in 4-H but the opportunities offered in FFA are quite different. There are far more leadership training and speaking sorts of contests in FFA. I feel pretty strongly about this and I guess I'll keep pursuing it until someone gives me a good reason WHY my son can't take one class. I think I'm going to call THSC today and see what their take on this is.

Thanks everyone! We are active in 4-H but the opportunities offered in FFA are quite different. There are far more leadership training and speaking sorts of contests in FFA. I feel pretty strongly about this and I guess I'll keep pursuing it until someone gives me a good reason WHY my son can't take one class. I think I'm going to call THSC today and see what their take on this is.

The reason our school gave me was scheduling problems.:glare:

Our school district doesn't allow it at this time - but I am told they do have junior FFA, which I have been meaning to look into. I am curious if they require the younger students to be enrolled in a district school for that. I would be interested in following your progress and would help if I could.

I am not aware of any school districts in our area (DFW) which allow homeschoolers to pick and choose one or more classes. I have a child with an IEP who receives speech and OT at the local public school. I'm sure that if I requested that he attend one or two classes, that would be allowed, but that is a special circumstance. Kids with IEPs due to special needs have different options/rights.

Wow, that stinks. It is the law in NH that public schools have to let homeschoolers take classes and participate in extracurriculars.

FFA doesn't have to be through the public schools that I know of. Is it possible to start a homeschool FFA group and have an FFA certified teacher come to teach it?