Menu

Algebra Programs

Hi!

I am needing a very easy to use, simple explanations mastery text for my oldest son. I would like something we can stick with through higher math. Any ideas?

I have looked at MUS (ugg), Saxon (blech), Bob Jones ($$$ and I would have to teach), and CLE (VERY advanced). I have thought about Teaching Textbooks but am concerned with the bad reviews stating it is not a good choice for test scores, etc.. Plus I am not thrilled with a computer program and the cost.

Do I just need to suck it up and go with TT or BJU?

The Lial student text has the complete lesson with detailed examples (explains the 'why' of each step). It is set up for block scheduling-- so each lesson is 2 days of homework.

It is a solid text and is definitely college prep.

It was designed for independent study---but it is also easy to teach from. I used this program with my own girls--they worked independently (even my oldest who is NOT a math person) which was a bummer for me because I love to teach Math!

I use the 8th edition paperback (around $20 in Like New condition at amazon.com or half.com).

Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1

Intermediate Aglebra is Algebra 2

Pre-Calc

Lial has a Geometry, but I use a different program (Holt) between Intro and Intermediate.

There are optional video lessons available ($35) if needed (not necessary-- again the text has the complete lesson).

*Lial is the abbreviation for a Math series by Margaret Lial published by Pearson/Addison Wesley for remedial college use -- the Algebra programs are HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL and are awesome texts!

I use Lial's for Algebra I and all I have is the student softback book. I have learned to do some problems on my own so I can teach my daughter. Its directions are easy to follow and I find that it's easier the second go around. I am not exactly a math whiz either. I also use the tests that are in the book.

Edited by Mona100
Opps I killed a kitten

I just wanted to mention that Teaching Textbooks hold their value very well. So much so, that you could buy them used on eBay for the same cost you would actually end up reselling them for. (I don't use TT, but just wanted to give that comment about their upfront cost.) Oh, and it's not just a computer program as some don't even use the CD's. And then some students just use the CD's. Guess it gives the student some flexibility. Anyway, there are lots of great ways to teach math out there. Good luck finding the one that works best with YOUR student. :)

Edited by LatinTea

It is almost impossible to find 7th edition videos--the isbn is on the back cover of the text (videos are called DVT for digital video tutor).

They changed the chapter order with the 8th edition so it would be possible, but a PAIN to use the 8th edition videos with a 7th edition text-- especially since the 8th edition is so cheap.

The 9th edition prices are starting to come down-- texts are around $30 instead of $100. They upgraded the videos with the 9th edition too... videos are still the same price $35 but have more worked out problems in addition to the basic teaching lessons. If you know you will need video support the 9th edition is the way to go.

HTH

My son is using Walch publishing Basic Math right now. He is 15. He has not had a lot of exposure to decimals and percents. Fractions are still touch and go. Hence, the Basic math.

We started with Chalkdust this year but quickly realized that it just moved too quickly for my ds. He was getting lost and doing horrible on his daily work within a weeks time. I think the book itself was a tad too visually overwhelming for him. I loved the video lessons, and so did ds, but he couldn't take everything he learned from the video and use it in his daily work??:confused:

We have moved on to BJU. What I currently love about BJU is that the teacher teaches, assigns all the work, the tests, etc. I really don't have to worry overmuch. Also, because there are live students who call in to the class, the teacher has reason to go over difficult problems which helps my son to 'get it' if he didn't already. So far he is getting an A in the class. Now, having said that, what I'm unsure of with BJU (so far) is the lack of practice. I'm not sure doing only 20 problems a day...sometimes less, sometimes a few more, is going to be enough for good solid retention. So that is a bit of a worry. My ds seems to be getting it though, so that is a good sign, but the year is young and the math not overly difficult yet.

I also own Lial's 8th ed. with the DVDs. The DVDs will not work on our laptop (w/vista) which is quite frustrating but will work on our old sloooooow desktop (with Window Me, I believe). So if you decide to go with Lials and feel you need the DVDs, be sure they will actually work with your computer. Lial's book, too, is visually overwhelming. Just A LOT to learn in each lesson, or so it seems. We have not actually tried it yet though. It will be our next go to Algebra should BJU begin to fail us.

I want to also put in a plug for Math Relief. It was the only Algebra program my oldest ds could comprehend. My middle ds and oldest used it for Alg 1. Middle ds then went on to BJU Alg 2, and BJU preCalculus with zero problems. Oldest ds went on to Consumer Math. ;) I kinda wish I hadn't sold it. :glare:

[eta middle son did not take a pre-algebra course. He went right into Math Relief Alg 1 in 8th grade]

Edited by Melissa in CA

Does Math Relief include lots of practice problems?

Oh, yes. Early on, when they are shorter, there are sometimes 50-60. Once you get to multi-step problems, especially in Algebra II, there will be more like 20 problems but more steps or more answers required.

All the problems are already on worksheets, so the student doesn't have to spend time copying.

All of the answers are fully worked out, every step, on identical copies of the worksheets (not just lists of answers on one page).

Julie

I had my son look at all the choices suggested here by you much more experienced Moms.

Math Relief confused him and the gentleman was difficult to hear. ChalkDust was the same. Lial's is too much per page for him. He just sees a sea of words and numbers and it overwhelmed him.

He went for Teaching Textbooks. Now I have to convince my 12 year old to stay with what he has (CLE). :)

Thank you, everyone!!!

Edited by Guest